Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

7 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

Saw one of the players in the New Zealand vs USA women's game got a first half hattrick of own goals.

Even Stephen Craigen never managed that!

Subbed off in the 41st minute too apparently.

Surely hideous man-management, just take her off at HT instead of that.

You never know if there's any other circumstances involved but I'm surprised robbo is coming back up the road so soon after leaving us,I thought he would have been looking at a long stay down south.thats a decent appointment for them considering they had spoke to the likes of brown and naismith.

To be fair his managerial stock was never higher than it was up here with us from 2017 until about 2019.

Two Cup Finals in the same season, was in charge when David Turnbull broke into first team football, was linked heavily with the managers jobs at Hearts and Northern Ireland and, regardless of the circumstances, ‘finished 3rd’ and qualified for Europe with us in the curtailed 19/20 season.

He’s a good fit for the game up here and vice-versa, I can completely see why he’d be keen to come back to it.

I can understand why St Mirren would be interested, his record up here is good regardless of what some may think. St Mirren goal every season is staying in the division and Robinson has shown he’s more than capable of doing that.

49 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

I can understand why St Mirren would be interested, his record up here is good regardless of what some may think. St Mirren goal every season is staying in the division and Robinson has shown he’s more than capable of doing that.

Except in his last 6 months with us...

I'm a fan of his as well but I'd be concerned if I were a Buddy. Poor last 6 months with us and didn't set the heather alight down south.

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

When u getting yer StMidden season ticket if yer favourite gets the job 

• Confused 1

He stayed with us a year, possibly two years too long imo.

I liked Robinson, he was a breath of fresh air in his first season after the awful era that was McGhee’s second spell and the Cup Final season was one of the most enjoyable we’ve had in the last decade.

His transfer business in the subsequent windows let him down badly though, albeit he was hamstrung by our scouting policy. Season 18/19 was eyebleedingly bad for the first part with us basically playing hoofball to a front line of Curtis Main and Conor Sammon, before he eventually brought Turnbull and Hastie into the side which ended up being the bright lights of that season. 

Had he moved on in summer 2019 or to Hearts when linked in the Autumn of that year it would probably have been best for both parties. I know some will point to ‘a 3rd placed’ finish in 2020 but we were poor for the majority of that season and our form from the winter shutdown to the covid abandonment was dismal and it seemed like a case of who was less likely to cut our own throats between ourselves and Aberdeen as to who would get 3rd. As it was the season was stopped hours before we were due to play Aberdeen and we ended ‘finishing 3rd’ by default. The less said about our 2020 transfer business and form until he left, the better.

But all in all, Robinson is a good guy and I wish him well.

3 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

Except in his last 6 months with us...

I'm a fan of his as well but I'd be concerned if I were a Buddy. Poor last 6 months with us and didn't set the heather alight down south.

When they were being linked with Steven Naismith or Scott Brown getting Robbo must seem like a lottery win. for their fans.

14 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

I liked Robinson, he was a breath of fresh air in his first season after the awful era that was McGhee’s second spell and the Cup Final season was one of the most enjoyable we’ve had in the last decade.

His transfer business in the subsequent windows let him down badly though, albeit he was hamstrung by our scouting policy. Season 18/19 was eyebleedingly bad for the first part with us basically playing hoofball to a front line of Curtis Main and Conor Sammon, before he eventually brought Turnbull and Hastie into the side which ended up being the bright lights of that season. 

Had he moved on in summer 2019 or to Hearts when linked in the Autumn of that year it would probably have been best for both parties. I know some will point to ‘a 3rd placed’ finish in 2020 but we were poor for the majority of that season and our form from the winter shutdown to the covid abandonment was dismal and it seemed like a case of who was less likely to cut our own throats between ourselves and Aberdeen as to who would get 3rd. As it was the season was stopped hours before we were due to play Aberdeen and we ended ‘finishing 3rd’ by default. The less said about our 2020 transfer business and form until he left, the better.

If playing pish for the majority of a season is a catalyst for being punted GA better watch out. Over the piece SR did a very good job for us.

2 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

There was one season where he was saved by the performances of David Turnbull and Jake Hastie who were virtually unplayable.