Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

Just now, weeyin said:

Saved by the players he coached and helped develop? Sounds like a recommendation.

Really? It was them who were outstanding, not him. The first half of the year we were dreadfull - Turnbull was moved off the bench and Hastie was brought back from Alloa, if SR had such brilliant visionary and development skills why did he leave it to the eleventh hour? Especially in Turnbull's case who was clearly way above the level required.

Things weren't going as planned, so he completely changed the system, brought a winger back from loan, and signed another one. He also made the decision to play Turnbull more, and it worked.

As bad as the first half of the season was, Robinson made the required changes to turn it around and he deserves the credit for that.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Winning by Name said:

Really? It was them who were outstanding, not him. 

Plenty of promising talents have been stalled or ruined by bad man management and bad coaching. Robinson might not be able to claim any credit for their natural talent, but he and his coaching staff played their part in shaping all the players we sold.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Winning by Name said:

Really? It was them who were outstanding, not him. The first half of the year we were dreadfull - Turnbull was moved off the bench and Hastie was brought back from Alloa, if SR had such brilliant visionary and development skills why did he leave it to the eleventh hour? Especially in Turnbull's case who was clearly way above the level required.

So you are saying that we can hire any old coach and that will work out as long as we have the players? Because by that standard, we should never need to sack any gaffer.

8 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

He stayed with us a year, possibly two years too long imo.

I liked Robinson, he was a breath of fresh air in his first season after the awful era that was McGhee’s second spell and the Cup Final season was one of the most enjoyable we’ve had in the last decade.

good observation  - completely agree about the last 12 months.  He ran out of ideas and really struggled, hence resigned.  

Had he left for a bigger job 12 months previous (NI job) he'd be hailed as one of the best gaffers we've ever had.   He did well for us over the piece, a good guy who did in the main did good things , eventually ran out of ideas and out of decent signings. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

good observation  - completely agree about the last 12 months.  He ran out of ideas and really struggled, hence resigned.  

Had he left for a bigger job 12 months previous (NI job) he'd be hailed as one of the best gaffers we've ever had.   He did well for us over the piece, a good guy who did in the main did good things , eventually ran out of ideas and out of decent signings. 

Pretty much my view but he still wanted a pay off. He didn't just walk out the door without a deal.

2 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

I’m sure the link with the NI job was in summer 2020, just six months before he left. He was linked with the Hearts vacancy late Oct/early Nov 2019.

But you are correct in saying that he had ran out of ideas by the end, in fact he ran out long before the end. It was obvious just a few weeks into 20/21 that we were going nowhere, home losses to Accies & Utd, a loss at Ross County and Coleraine taking us to penalties in the EL. And there was that ridiculous run of us not scoring a single equalising goal from August until the end of January last year, when Robinson had left.

9 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

I’m sure the link with the NI job was in summer 2020, just six months before he left. He was linked with the Hearts vacancy late Oct/early Nov 2019.

But you are correct in saying that he had ran out of ideas by the end, in fact he ran out long before the end. It was obvious just a few weeks into 20/21 that we were going nowhere, home losses to Accies & Utd, a loss at Ross County and Coleraine taking us to penalties in the EL. And there was that ridiculous run of us not scoring a single equalising goal from August until the end of January last year, when Robinson had left.

Im completely with you.  For me Robinson falls into the same category as Mcall , McGhee (first time) in as much they  had a decent spell where things went well but not able to really take the club forward in the long term, made too many poor signings and ran out of ideas. 

Short term  able to a  job but will run out of ideas and frankly won't go on to bigger or better things as are limited in their capability. 

40 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

St.Mirren losing benefits us so that’s pleasing. Livingston winning doesn’t as it puts them on the same points as us but ahead on GD so it’s us and the both of them on 34 points.

St Mirren have 5 away matches from 7 including Rangers, Celtic and us.

6 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

St.Mirren losing benefits us so that’s pleasing. Livingston winning doesn’t as it puts them on the same points as us but ahead on GD so it’s us and the both of them on 34 points.

It's all too close for me, 5 points separating 4th to 10th there is  no room for error, but after tomorrow  the Ross County and Dundee games are massive 6 points from those 2 would just about secure the top 6 finish and a shot at Europe 

25 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

It's all too close for me, 5 points separating 4th to 10th there is  no room for error, but after tomorrow  the Ross County and Dundee games are massive 6 points from those 2 would just about secure the top 6 finish and a shot at Europe 

Every game a cup final from now to the split

3 years ago this week James Scott scored this thoroughly enjoyable goal vs Celtic. Even though we got pumped it's still great to see them so wound up.
And my best ever tweet of "whit's Gboly dae'n Tom?" got double figures of retweets. What a day.

Also, James Scott acting like he didn't know what the big deal was was priceless, and only trumped by the fact Gboly scored the goal but got none of the stick:-)

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk