Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

22 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

His save against Larsson for us at Parkhead in 1999 was world class. RIP Goalie 

That was a ridiculous save that he had no right to make. His reflexes were absolutely astounding.

For all he was past his best by the time he came to FP he still managed some incredible performances in our jersey and even managed to secure a loan move to Man Utd in 2001 on the back of it.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

For all he was past his best by the time he came to FP he still managed some incredible performances in our jersey and even managed to secure a loan move to Man Utd in 2001 on the back of it.

Albeit a pretty farcical one, in retrospect.

https://www.otbsports.com/soccer/andy-goram-manchester-united-895596

RIP Andy , we have been blessed with great goalies down the years and along with Andy there has been Sieb, John Ruddy, Darren Randolph, Ally Maxwell and Liam Kelly at present ain’t too bad either

Got great memories of Andy, loved watching the Well at this time even though we could blow hot and cold at times, remember the cup tie against Hearts which was Andy’s debut, Fir Park was bouncing that night with at least 10,000 or so

The save from Larsson was brilliant, also remember a 1-0 victory the season after with 10 men which Goram had a great game

And of course a 2-0 victory against the Rangers last game of the season that almost had us in Europe and this game is almost forgotten about,  the story about Andy being knocked back from the Fir Park club one night for not having a membership despite being club captain at the time will be remembered also

24 minutes ago, twistandshout1983 said:

And of course a 2-0 victory against the Rangers last game of the season that almost had us in Europe and this game is almost forgotten about,  the story about Andy being knocked back from the Fir Park club one night for not having a membership despite being club captain at the time will be remembered also

We were excellent that day, thoroughly deserved our 2-0 win but lost out due to Hearts winning against Hibs on the same day. 

I must admit I’m surprised to hear that Goram was denied entry to the old Fir Park Club given that that was one of the biggest Rangers shops in town back then. I know I and alot of Motherwell fans avoided it for that very reason.

39 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

We were excellent that day, thoroughly deserved our 2-0 win but lost out due to Hearts winning against Hibs on the same day. 

I must admit I’m surprised to hear that Goram was denied entry to the old Fir Park Club given that that was one of the biggest Rangers shops in town back then. I know I and alot of Motherwell fans avoided it for that very reason.

True story from Andy's book , on his time at the Wellconteghhggnt.thumb.png.0e430ac6072f3b312ed49bf99fd7dec0.png

On 7/2/2022 at 7:02 PM, twistandshout1983 said:

I'll always remember that game because it's the only time I've watched a Motherwell match from the Cooper Stand.  Think the only other time I've been in there was a Scotland U21 match against Austria.

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I'll always remember that game because it's the only time I've watched a Motherwell match from the Cooper Stand.  Think the only other time I've been in there was a Scotland U21 match against Austria.

Been in the cooper stand a few times not long after it first opened though always preferred the Hunter Stand, one game I was in the cooper I seem to recall an incident with Jim Leighton towards the end of a game when someone ran on

Murphy has 8 goals and 4 assists in 19 appearances against St Johnstone so from their perspective at least he won't be playing against them.

He has 1 goal and 1 assist in 31 appearances against Celtic which I think sums him up. He had so much ability but fell short mentally, if he had a Scott McDonald style attitude he would have had a much more successful career. He was still a great player overall for us though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Liam Donnelly signs for Kilmarnock 

I think a lot of people reckon that Derek McInnes track record in the Premiership will see Kilmarnock good but re-signing Alan Power, bringing in Donnelly and already having Polworth there suggests other wise.

They also have a brutal opening fixture list, easily the hardest of any of the teams.

For me could be contenders to go straight back down.

43 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I think a lot of people reckon that Derek McInnes track record in the Premiership will see Kilmarnock good but re-signing Alan Power, bringing in Donnelly and already having Polworth there suggests other wise.

They also have a brutal opening fixture list, easily the hardest of any of the teams.

I agree with that,I think kilmarnock could quite easily go back down.I don't envy there fans that will have to witness donnolly every other week strutting about on that plastic pitch like hes a player.

56 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Mcinnes has proven himself. Doing well with both StJohonstone and the 8 years with Abderdeen.  He must be kicking himself not to have taken the bigger jobs when they came up. Now he's back at the level he was 14 years ago when starting out as a manager.  Having to make do with a much lower budget. 

Difficult to call who'll do well and who'll sink. Suspect it will be another tight league from pos 5-12. 

7 hours ago, GazzyB said:

He’s not overrated at all, he absolutely dominated the rest of the league with Aberdeen. Look at the fuckin nick of them since they sacked him.

One of the most ridiculous sackings/mutual terminations ever. 

I’m with you . 8 years with more than 50% win record . He took Aberdeen as far as he could . 

Sadly it highlights the restrictions our league has . Old firm fight for top spot , a few other clubs battle for best of the rest .

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Well-Made said:

Tony Watt may be looking for pastures new... Utd have just signed Steven Fletcher as their new No. 9.

That has the making of a decent pairing with Watt doing the running and Fletcher staying central.

Dependent on Watt being as focussed as he was in the final year of his contract with us.....