Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

The forum had a lot more sway back in the fhw days.

With hearts, hibs, and Aberdeen, you know there's always a banter season on the horizon, so I can never get too worked up about them. It's also funny that they spend a shit tonne more money, but end up with the same results as the likes of us and St J.

Until St. Mirren went on their motherwell tribute tour they were always the team I forgot were in the league. They care a lot about us though.

I'd quite happily see livi drop down the leagues with their shite pitch and ned manager.

The other non of clubs are pretty neutral to me.

12 hours ago, Yabba's Turd said:

Wankers!

Old enough to remember the needle in the 1st div and absolute shitehawk players who would kick their granny, under Alex McDonald Hearts were 'robust' for want of a better word :D

Also, before that the Texaco Cup semi final second leg when George Fleming punched Billy Ritchie in the stomach in injury time and Mr Paterson of Bothwell gave a goal. That's where it really started. FHW!!!

• Like 1

Old enough to remember the needle in the 1st div and absolute shitehawk players who would kick their granny, under Alex McDonald Hearts were 'robust' for want of a better word :D

One of dirtiest teams I can recall in all my time. Totally ruthless with  a with a win at all costs attitude.

On 7/12/2022 at 9:35 AM, Kmcalpin said:

One of dirtiest teams I can recall in all my time. Totally ruthless with  a with a win at all costs attitude.

Walter Kidd, Brian Whittaker, Gary Mackay, Kenny Black etc.

Then add in cheating wee c*nts like Colquhoun and Robertson.....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Add Henry Smith to that list as well.

I do have some fond memories though of Kirkie getting stuck in, he had brilliant battles with Walter Kidd and never backed off.  

19 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I can't believe you left Wayne Foster and Scott Crabbe off that list.......

Although to be fair, you probably just lost track of the number of odious b@stards that played for Hearts then. :mad:

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Again, being fair, I’m just going to put these names here and say nothing

Miller. McVie. McLaren

They were honest dirty barstewards,   whereas hearts were full of devious dirty barstewards 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

That team just brings back nightmares of 1987 Scottish cup quarter final replay at fir park in front of 15,000 and watching John Gardiner making a Jim Delahunt of their goal 

• Sad 1

On 7/12/2022 at 9:35 AM, Kmcalpin said:

Totally ruthless with  a with a win at all costs attitude.

Nothing wrong with that. Teams that are successful need that ruthless element.

I appreciate that some Well fans of an older age than myself had different experiences with Hearts, but I’ve always found their fans in the main, fairly okay. 

Tynecastle is a great stadium for watching football and Gorgie Road has a certain charm about it with its old tenements. 

Their club song is a belter as well.

13 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

Nothing wrong with that. Teams that are successful need that ruthless element.

I appreciate that some Well fans of an older age than myself had different experiences with Hearts, but I’ve always found their fans in the main, fairly okay. 

Tynecastle is a great stadium for watching football and Gorgie Road has a certain charm about it with its old tenements. 

Their club song is a belter as well.

I'm of the vintage you describe as older fans. Whilst at uni (more than a few years back) I did research into football violence in Scotland and two things that emerged were (1) Hearts supporters were ranked number one for most likely to cause trouble by all other Scottish teams and (2) Arrest rates at Fir Park were the highest of all grounds. Former was well-deserved rating in my opinion and latter I think was a more reflection of the macho culture of Strathclyde Police (Lanarkshire).

16 hours ago, grumpy said:

I can't believe you left Wayne Foster and Scott Crabbe off that list.......

Although to be fair, you probably just lost track of the number of odious b@stards that played for Hearts then. :mad:

Neil Berry was another

• Like 1

15 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

That team just brings back nightmares of 1987 Scottish cup quarter final replay at fir park in front of 15,000 and watching John Gardiner making a Jim Delahunt of their goal 

We had a terrible record against Hearts through the mid eighties to early nineties.  I don't know exactly but I think it was about 15 games or something without a win, or maybe 1 win.  Something like that anyway! I'll maybe look that up later on.

EDIT - 2 wins in 36 between 1983 - 1993 and a run of 0 wins in 15 between 1985 and 1988.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Liam Donelly scored on his debut for Kilmarnock last night in the league cup against Partick Thistle, finished 1-1 though, Partick won on penalties. 

Killie were given the runaround for most of the match and Donnelly was the first player subbed.

Not exactly a confidence builder for Kilmarnock.

It's actually interesting just how poor the Premiership teams have been in the League Cup so far.  The only team with two wins is Aberdeen and that was against very low level sides.

For all I want Hearts to lose most weeks I do think Tynecastle is a good ground and its a good away game generally. Easy to get to on public transport, feels like an occasion and a team it's good to beat.

Far better away day than Hibs IMO. 

Disappointed that the Turnbull to West Ham rumour has died, would love to see him move on from Celtic, mostly for the fee I think we're due...

1 hour ago, C&A not the shop said:

Disappointed that the Turnbull to West Ham rumour has died, would love to see him move on from Celtic, mostly for the fee I think we're due...

There never was one, it's a wind up by a Celtic fan that he's done every window since DT signed for Celtic. Jut so happens this time someone bit.

3 hours ago, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

Cedric Kipre season long loan to Cardiff

This makes me very happy!

The thought of him turning out for the other blue mob was pretty depressing.

• Like 2

Would be nice to think Cedric chose the 18th team from last season's Championship over Rangers, but I suspect that's not the case. The origin of the Rangers story seems to be a local paper in the Midlands that had him linked to Rangers and Metz - of course with no sources or quotes.