Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

8 hours ago, weeyin said:

Would be nice to think Cedric chose the 18th team from last season's Championship over Rangers, but I suspect that's not the case. The origin of the Rangers story seems to be a local paper in the Midlands that had him linked to Rangers and Metz - of course with no sources or quotes.

Im just delighted it never transpired.......

On 7/14/2022 at 12:15 PM, MJC_mkII said:

Nothing wrong with that. Teams that are successful need that ruthless element.

I appreciate that some Well fans of an older age than myself had different experiences with Hearts, but I’ve always found their fans in the main, fairly okay. 

Tynecastle is a great stadium for watching football and Gorgie Road has a certain charm about it with its old tenements. 

Their club song is a belter as well.

As one of those fans of an older age all I can say is 'wash your mouth out with soap'. 

We are the Motherwell FC, we hate the Hearts and we hate the Hearts

We hate the Hearts and we hate the f****** Hearts

We are the MFC.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, fizoxy said:

See over on p&b that Trevor Carson may be injured again. That guy has no luck.

Very sad, as he's a good keeper but had some horrific luck. Good luck to him. However, Saints took a gamble when they signed him, given his injury/health problems. .

On 7/14/2022 at 12:15 PM, MJC_mkII said:

Nothing wrong with that. Teams that are successful need that ruthless element.

When I say ruthless, I mean ruthless. They had 2 rules just do it and don't get caught. They would do anything inside or outside the rules to get a result. Not nice. It was a step well beyond hard physical football or even hatchet football.

Very sad, as he's a good keeper but had some horrific luck. Good luck to him. However, Saints took a gamble when they signed him, given his injury/health problems. .
While I think we did the right thing by not letting him go to Celtic when they came in for him (from the clubs perspective), what a sliding doors moment that was for Carson.

You can see why players often opt for the move that brings them the most money in the present, because you can never be sure how things are going to pan out, and you can't really grudge them that. You can look at Hastie as a similar example.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

I see Robinson and his Motherwell old boys lost 2-0 at Airdrie last night in the League Cup and were roundly booed off the park by their travelling fans for it.

My cash would be on Robinson for the 1st manager to be sacked this season, that's them out of the League cup already and still a group game to go, not a good start .

Aye robinson seems to be under real pressure already judging by most of the comments I've seen online from there fans.i think a lot of them took an instant dislike to him after comments he made as soon as he arrived.

It will certainly be the end of him at St Mirren, but the way the footballing community seems to work, it won't be the end of his career. The leagues are full of regularly failing managers.

Jim Goodwin had a worse record at St Mirren than Robinson did at Fir Park and he was poached by Aberdeen.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

It will certainly be the end of him at St Mirren, but the way the footballing community seems to work, it won't be the end of his career. The leagues are full of regularly failing managers.

Jim Goodwin had a worse record at St Mirren than Robinson did at Fir Park and he was poached by Aberdeen.

Yeah football management is the type of job where you can fail badly yet still find yourself back in a job at a different club sooner or later. All it takes is a good spell at a particular club and/or good relations with the media and/or people within football. Mark McGhee being the classic example.

13 minutes ago, steelboy said:

He's won 15 of 56 league games since summer 2020.

A dreadful return right enough but as I was saying, if a manager has a good spell in a particular job then his stock shoots back up again.

Robinson bought himself a huge amount of credit by getting to two cup finals in the same season with us in 2017/18, something he dined out on for the remainder of his time with us. He also managed to get us a 3rd place ‘finish’ in 2019/2020.

On paper at least that is a pretty impressive return at a club of our stature so it’s natural that he was linked with bigger jobs. Of course that doesn’t tell the whole story as anyone who watched us in that time could probably tell you. Our league form in 17/18 was pretty dismal and the following season we were even worse to watch for the most part. 19/20 saw more dire displays yet we managed to scrape wins together at the same time as Aberdeen, Hibs etc cut their own throats before the season was effectively abandoned in mid-March and we ‘finished 3rd’ by default.

1 hour ago, MJC_mkII said:

Robinson bought himself a huge amount of credit by getting to two cup finals in the same season with us in 2017/18, something he dined out on for the remainder of his time with us. He also managed to get us a 3rd place ‘finish’ in 2019/2020.

Did Robbo get us to 2 cup finals ?  can't recall him ever mentioning that :wink:

Don't worry about his sides poor form, he's spoken honestly to the players , they need to work harder and they'll go again . These Motherwell, oops St Mirren players will get through :) . 

I swear Robbo has a A4 bit of paper with about 4-5 answers on it that he uses all the time.Come November-December time he will wheel out the "Some boys are getting heads turned by people as it's getting near to transfer window" or fav at the Well which was"I hold my hands up just wasn't good enough today"

But this is a man who didn't want to do another rebuild went to Morecambe and signed about 20 odd players .

To this day I shall never ever understand Robbo thought Aaron Chapman  was a good footballing idea.I would have fire him on the spot for that I still get night sweats thinking about Chapman Vs Hamilton.

26 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

I swear Robbo has a A4 bit of paper with about 4-5 answers on it that he uses all the time.Come November-December time he will wheel out the "Some boys are getting heads turned by people as it's getting near to transfer window" or fav at the Well which was"I hold my hands up just wasn't good enough today"

But this is a man who didn't want to do another rebuild went to Morecambe and signed about 20 odd players .

To this day I shall never ever understand Robbo thought Aaron Chapman  was a good footballing idea.I would have fire him on the spot for that I still get night sweats thinking about Chapman Vs Hamilton.

Chapman's performance at Accies could only be described as the same as the pie he shared his name with......full of mince

• Haha 1

On 7/20/2022 at 8:58 PM, Spit_It_Out said:

I see Robinson is in the news this morning complaining that the league cup group format and the early start to the season is unfair on the premiership teams ffs, no mention of his team being pish though.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stephen-robinson-slams-premier-sports-27572406

He has a point about the difficulty of trying to get  full squad of players some quality pre-season minutes. The pressure is on to win the group, so managers have to stick with their fittest 11 every game and need to cut into pre-season training hours to prep for matches.

It's also true, however, that his team were rank after he took control last season and have continued to be rank.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

He has a point about the difficulty of trying to get  full squad of players some quality pre-season minutes. The pressure is on to win the group, so managers have to stick with their fittest 11 every game and need to cut into pre-season training hours to prep for matches.

It's also true, however, that his team were rank after he took control last season and have continued to be rank.

Do lower league teams not have the same issues?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Did Robinson mention that the PL side is seeded within the Group in that they always get a home tie against the second best ranked team? So that should be an advantage I would think. Unless they changed that rule this season? Not being involved, I have not checked. Lol. 
Also I remember several lower league managers saying they had sometimes only four or five signed players a fortnight before their first game. That must help with training and tactical prep. Dumbarton for one I think although that was in CoVid times perhaps. 
There is no excuse for the PL side failing to qualify. It does happen but it is certainly not unfair. And that’s not taken into account Budget, size of squad and the fact many lower league clubs are part time. 
Robinson is just trying to cover his arse. 

1 hour ago, MelvinBragg said:

Do lower league teams not have the same issues?

Not so much - at least in earlier years. Partly because they started pre-season earlier because their league kicked off earlier - so they were ahead in prep. And partly because they often didn't have a squad of 22 or 24 first team players that all needed game time.

I'm not saying it's unfair on Premiership teams. I am saying that anyone who has watched the group games in the past few years hasn't exactly been exposed to fast-flowing, high tempo football from match sharp players. That is largely down to the timing of the games while teams are still half-way through preparing for the league.

That doesn't excuse Premiership teams not qualifying from their group. As a paying punter, though, I don't think the league group games deliver as much value for money as the prior formats did where we had one-leg, straight knock-out rounds every round.