Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

1 hour ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Declan Gallagher given a straight red as St Mirren trail Aberdeen 3-0 at HT

Livescore had it as 2 bookings not that it matters but good to see Gallagher keeping up his consistently  bad form since leaving us, as for Robinson I don't he will last till Christmas on their current form, failing again with a lot of the players he failed with at Fir park you've got to laugh.

• Like 1

I was reading a newspaper article prior to the St Mirren game last week and it had a brief section chatting to Declan Gallagher who was explaining to the reporter that he didn't understand why the 'Well fans don't like him. A quote he made was interesting 'Motherwell received something like £200.000 for me'. I know there was chatter that he had a year extension if he played a certain amount of games etc..it would be interesting to know the story but we likely never will.

Not news but one for other oldies like me. I'd recorded The Big Match Revisited on ITV4 thru the week. Highlights of 3 games from August '74 presented by Brian Moore. The 3rd match was a 2-1 win for Man City at Maine Road v Leeds. The City 'keeper was Keith MacRae.

Good to look back at a show from an era when there wasn't much football on TV. Despite that the main game was Gillingham v Charlton in the old Third Division.  I've seen a few of them on ITV4 over the last year or 2 and they liked to cover plenty of games from the lower leagues. It's also good to see games from the latter months of the season back then,  anyone who complains about the state of pitches now should see what those guys had to play on.

• Like 7

On 8/9/2022 at 8:49 PM, pretzel said:

I was reading a newspaper article prior to the St Mirren game last week and it had a brief section chatting to Declan Gallagher who was explaining to the reporter that he didn't understand why the 'Well fans don't like him. A quote he made was interesting 'Motherwell received something like £200.000 for me'. I know there was chatter that he had a year extension if he played a certain amount of games etc..it would be interesting to know the story but we likely never will.

“I always expect a warm reception from the Motherwell fans. For some reason they don’t like me.

“I don’t understand why. My two seasons there I did really well for them.

“I was a Scotland regular and we got into Europe. We finished third in the league, so I don’t really know what more I could have done with my time there. At the end of the day I left the club and now they don’t like me. That’s that, there’s no hard feelings from me.

“I enjoyed my time there and I’m looking forward to playing them again.

“I’ve got no hard feelings with them, it’s them that have hard feelings towards me. I thought I left on pretty good terms.

“Motherwell received something like £200,000 for me getting into the Scotland Euro squad, so that probably covered my wages for the two years I was there.

“I moved on to progress my career and earn a bit more for myself and my family.

“I still to this day don’t understand why they hate me so much, but at the end of the day that’s football. Fans can be fickle that way.

“It does add to that excitement during the game when you’re getting boos. I enjoy it.

“It would be nice to get the better of them as last year that didn’t happen. They got the better of me every game.

“They had the bragging rights, but hopefully I can rectify that on Sunday.”

He misses out the bit where he was refusing to play and got suspended from the club for a few weeks but apart from that it's a fair comment.

I would guess that if we offered the same wages as Aberdeen and Dundee United guys like him and Watt would be happy to stay at Fir Park but that's not how it is and it's a short career for them. 

On 8/9/2022 at 8:49 PM, pretzel said:

Looks like the £200,000 was money we got for him making it into the Scotland Euros squad, rather than anything from Aberdeen. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

Looks like the £200,000 was money we got for him making it into the Scotland Euros squad, rather than anything from Aberdeen. 

His contract was renegotiated from the end of May to the end of June so that we got the Euro money and he got to leave for Aberdeen and not have to stay for the extra year that his appearances had triggered.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ropy said:

His contract was renegotiated from the end of May to the end of June so that we got the Euro money and he got to leave for Aberdeen and not have to stay for the extra year that his appearances had triggered.

Don't think he triggered any clause. He sat out games until the Club agreed to change his contract before that clause (inserted at his request) was activated. One game short of the extension target. The deal was he that signed on to benefit us IF he got to into the Euros squad, but was free to walk for nothing thereafter. I don't think Motherwell had much choice to be fair. Any games he played after the new contract was signed did not count towards any extension. Worked out ok for us I guess but we were extremely lucky Clarke stayed loyal and selected him. It must have been a close call given he never got on the pitch at the tournament and I don't think he has featured since.

His situation was entirely different from Watt who I believe gave his all even when it was evident Alexander did not want him long term. I got the impression Watt thought he was staying for at least another two seasons, until he found out otherwise.  In other words he did not down tools like Gallagher. " Deccy is sitting it out until his contract is sorted out" was a quote from a team mate. And this was the same Tony Watt whose departure was the sole reason for our decline according to some. Until the reality of where Alexander was taking us hit home that is.

Anyway, both players no longer have anything to do with Motherwell. Yesterday's men. But I would welcome Watt back.....on our terms. Gallagher not so much. 

4 hours ago, steelboy said:

He misses out the bit where he was refusing to play and got suspended from the club for a few weeks but apart from that it's a fair comment.

I would guess that if we offered the same wages as Aberdeen and Dundee United guys like him and Watt would be happy to stay at Fir Park but that's not how it is and it's a short career for them. 

I used to work with SPFA reps on EU projects and they told me that players make most money out of signing-on fees when they make moves, thus the more moves = more signing-on fees = more money. A short career in which they have to optimise their earnings for themselves and their families.

Not got the slightest interest in seeing TW in a Motherwell top again.
Never was his greatest fan to start with, always said he had a great knack of either flicking the ball just past the post or directly at the keeper and hit a purple patch with us but I do agree that he gave his all, tracked back, was good at winning a foul and taking the pressure off.