Jump to content

Andy_P

Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

Agreed.

I see this comment every time someone talks about the MLS, and I'm never sure what it's based on. Yeah, Ibrahimovic is there, fair enough, but the quality remains the same, attendances don't really seem to be changing dramatically, they're adding teams to it to expand it, but I dunno what 'on the up' really means beyond folk continuing to say it.

The rest of the point, yeah absolutely. Bellshill or Boston? You wouldn't see me for dust.

Think players have started leaving decent sized South American teams to go to the MLS. Whether this says more about the decline of South American football, I don’t know. Most of the best players are in Europe as teenagers now.

Its no longer just a retirement home for star players though.

Cadden isn’t going to play in La liga or Serie A. So MLS is a great opportunity. No language barrier, good lifestyle etc....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the whole loan debate, generally have no issue with it, it’s open to everyone.

Does seem to be getting used as a way round FFP, loans with transfer later to move into new season etc.

Celtic do also seem to use the loan system to troll Rangers, did they not flood hibs with loan players when they were in championship with Rangers, then start loaning to Aberdeen when they were competing for 2nd/3rd....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

 

Cadden isn’t going to play in La liga or Serie A. So MLS is a great opportunity. No language barrier, good lifestyle etc....

He's not going to play in the MLS either tbf.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Agreed.

I see this comment every time someone talks about the MLS, and I'm never sure what it's based on. Yeah, Ibrahimovic is there, fair enough, but the quality remains the same, attendances don't really seem to be changing dramatically, they're adding teams to it to expand it, but I dunno what 'on the up' really means beyond folk continuing to say it.

The rest of the point, yeah absolutely. Bellshill or Boston? You wouldn't see me for dust.

I think the quality of player is much better than it was. Some of the players who go there are much nearer their prime than Lothar Matthaus or Hristo Stoichkov were. Think a few decent young South Americans go there nowadays too. Too be honest I don't pay that much attention, this was all just from the few highlights I see on twitter.

 

BELLSHILL is the centre of the universe.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Agreed.

I see this comment every time someone talks about the MLS, and I'm never sure what it's based on. Yeah, Ibrahimovic is there, fair enough, but the quality remains the same, attendances don't really seem to be changing dramatically, they're adding teams to it to expand it, but I dunno what 'on the up' really means beyond folk continuing to say it.

It's nothing to do with the overseas players coming in. It's to do with the domestic talent that's being developed. 

Until 2019, the MLS teams didn't operate under any of the FIFA training/development compensation rules. As their local talent improved, and the quality of their academies improved, they started losing youngsters to overseas clubs and were receving nothing in the way of compensation. So in 2019, they decided that maybe this FIFA compensation idea was a good one and the clubs signed up for it. I think that's a pretty good indicator that the talent level improving.

In the last 20+ years I have lived here, the standard has definitely improved and the number of people with an interest in the game has noticably increased amongst the people I know. It's still not Tier 1 level, but it's easily as good as League 1 that Cadden will be playing in next season.

And while the US International team has an arguably easier route to qualify for the World Cup, they have performed much better there than our international team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

Cadden isn’t going to play in La liga or Serie A. So MLS is a great opportunity. No language barrier, good lifestyle etc....

I'm still fighting the language barrier here.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cadds will be fine, Columbus is a big college town. If my experience is anything to go by,  he won’t have any language issues as long as he never has to go through the captain d’s drive through or order water.

He will get asked about haggis in his first interview.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

Cadds will be fine, Columbus is a big college town. If my experience is anything to go by,  he won’t have any language issues as long as he never has to go through the captain d’s drive through or order water.

He will get asked about haggis in his first interview.

"How do you spell your name?"

- "C-a-d-d-e-n"

"Is that a-n?"

"No, e-n"

"a?"

"No, e"

"Have you met the Queen?"

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, David said:

The obvious difference there is that Turnbull is well aware that he's destined for bigger things and will be seeing a significant increase in wages over the next five years or so, while Cadden is moving to Oxford. 

Just like any other fan, if a player who's leaving is able to do the club a solid I'm grateful. But when it starts to veer towards fans blaming the actual player when he doesn't take a hit in his own personal circumstances to help the club I start to wonder a bit.

The harsh truth is that the player has zero obligation to the club. All this chat of "we gave him his chance, we provided him with his start in football" is great, but let's not forget that if the player hadn't been talented enough to benefit the club he'd have been papped out on his arse like so many before him.

The club looks after itself in that regard, and the player should be doing the same. 

As far as Cadden goes, we could have chosen to sell him on while he was under contract, couldn't we? There was interest a while back from Hearts and maybe Aberdeen I think, but the club decided to roll the dice and go down the compensation route. That was our call.

The player is doing what's right for him and his family, as he absolutely should. He owes us nothing.

 

I understand that perspective David, and respect your view. But on the one hand you make it sound completely straightforward - the player must look out for himself only and the 'home / development club' relationship means nothing.

Then at the same time you draw a neat moral distinction - loyalty is fine if you're a better player like Turnbull or Tierney, but its not for middling propects like Cadden.

I think that shows that it really isn't straightforward at all, and we know that even more fashionable young talents like Turnbull can suffer a career ending injury at any time. Football is an emotional game, and a players relationship with their boyhood  club often does mean something, at least to the extent that the fans might hope the player would avoid the kind of 'legal swindle' we have been victim to.

Development fees already assume the club has not obtained value,  it's no more than a minimal compensation for the years of investment and coaching and Motherwell reasonably deserved that, in my opinion. Not saying Cadden is a bad guy, I'm convinced he isn't, but it's disappointing nonetheless.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Inthebasement said:

I understand that perspective David, and respect your view. But on the one hand you make it sound completely straightforward - the player must look out for himself only and the 'home / development club' relationship means nothing.

Then at the same time you draw a neat moral distinction - loyalty is fine if you're a better player like Turnbull or Tierney, but its not for middling propects like Cadden.

I think that shows that it really isn't straightforward at all, and we know that even more fashionable young talents like Turnbull can suffer a career ending injury at any time. Football is an emotional game, and a players relationship with their boyhood  club often does mean something, at least to the extent that the fans might hope the player would avoid the kind of 'legal swindle' we have been victim to.

Development fees already assume the club has not obtained value,  it's no more than a minimal compensation for the years of investment and coaching and Motherwell reasonably deserved that, in my opinion. Not saying Cadden is a bad guy, I'm convinced he isn't, but it's disappointing nonetheless.

No, what I'm saying is that it all depends on personal circumstance and the situation. If the player is in a position where what he wants to do can benefit the club, then great. I doubt Cadden is actively looking to fuck us over, but he's been handed the opportunity to play some football in England and then head over to the US where he probably hopes he can make a bit of a career for himself.

Should he compromise that opportunity because the process the clubs involved are taking means Motherwell get less money? Absolutely not. As I mentioned, we had ample opportunity to move Cadden on to another club for a fee a while back, and we chose not to. 

And I'm not saying that loyalty is fine when you're a better player, I'm saying that someone like Turnbull or Tierney will have more choice. Was there a queue of clubs wanting to sign Cadden when his contract expired? I certainly didn't hear of many. His circumstances are obviously different.

The home development club relationship obviously should mean something, but it comes a firm second to what benefits the player himself, and his family. That's only natural. It looks to me like Cadden was in a position where he could either take the route he's taken now, or he could refuse it and hope that something else comes along.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, David said:

I doubt Cadden is actively looking to fuck us over, but he's been handed the opportunity to play some football in England and then head over to the US where he probably hopes he can make a bit of a career for himself.

You assume that he will actually go to the USA.  Time will tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got no problems with players running down their contracts as they're entitled to do- Hastie etc, but conspiring to defraud the club out of £280k through international loopholes clearly goes way beyond "putting himself and his family first". 

Fuck Chris Cadden.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Yassin said:

I've got no problems with players running down their contracts as they're entitled to do- Hastie etc, but conspiring to defraud the club out of £280k through international loopholes clearly goes way beyond "putting himself and his family first". 

Fuck Chris Cadden.

Interesting accusation that would benefit from some facts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think in an ideal world players would want to leave on good terms and give something back to a club that helped them develop.  

However never at the expense of themselves and their own income and career, which is understandable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The idea the footballers are conspiring to finagle complex (and dubious) contracts is laughable. Most of them would struggle to work out how to get a free coffee from a loyalty card scheme (maybe a little harsh).

Much more likely an agent/manager says "I've got a deal that lets you play for Oxford and maybe a shot in the MLS. Do you fancy it?"

"Aye, sounds good"

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Interesting accusation that would benefit from some facts. 

I've committed to going in all guns blazing on this now and it's too late to back out.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

You assume that he will actually go to the USA.  Time will tell.

At this stage the only facts we have are that he's got a contract with a MLS side, and that he's spoken on social media about looking forward to going out there to play his football. Maybe he's just lying, but at the moment I'll assume he's going out there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Yassin said:

I've committed to going in all guns blazing on this now and it's too late to back out.

Can only respect ruling out a walkback here. Continue. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/26/2019 at 3:44 PM, fizoxy said:

He will get asked about haggis in his first interview.

And...

Q: “Which part of the United Kingston are you from?”

A: “Scotland.”

Q: “Scotchland, is that near London?”

A: “No, Scotland is a separate country within the United Kingdom”

And so on and so on...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CoF said:

Not sure if this has been posted, but an interesting analysis of Curtis Main's career, his time with us and what he might bring to Aberdeen. The jist of the entire article is that he's fucking awful. 

https://www.modernfitba.com/blogs/2019/6/10/rate-my-transfer-curtis-main

Good article, the last sentence says all you need to know about him 

"Main went from slightly below average, to one of the worst strikers the league has seen in the past five seasons."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Good article, the last sentence says all you need to know about him 

"Main went from slightly below average, to one of the worst strikers the league has seen in the past five seasons."

 

I think he definitely done a job and did help us get our wingers involved. 

However for scoring goals he was utterly fucking hopeless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading is looking at Ben Heneghan.  Maybe a sell on fee is in the offing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×