Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

What's the alternative for him? Staying at Motherwell for the rest of his career?

He must have believed he can get into the Rangers team eventually, and he'll earn a lot of money in the process. He'll also learn a lot going to places like Rotherham.

Aye, it's a  no-brainer to get Rangers wages and play in England compared to getting Motherwell wages and maybe a few starts in our first team.

If he applies himself there it could be a very good loan spell for him. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GazzyB said:

What's the alternative for him? Staying at Motherwell for the rest of his career?

He must have believed he can get into the Rangers team eventually, and he'll earn a lot of money in the process. He'll also learn a lot going to places like Rotherham.

No, but a decent option would be to stay develop his top level game for longer than 3 months before bouncing himself back down to reserve/lower league football.  if Hastie had managed to continue what he started at Motherwell, what do you think his agent could have demanded in say 12-18 months time. At least a move to a bigger club who may want to play him.

Erwin is a classic example. In football terms (not financial), is he in a better place now that he was when he left us ?

15 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

I’ve got a small amount of sympathy for Hastie. The contract Rangers will have given him will have been a once in a lifetime opportunity. He would’ve been crazy not to take it!

It will have been a huge increase in wages so  think an offer many of us would have taken if we’re being honest. Taking the money out of the equation though he was very predictable and teams soon sussed him out, stop him cutting inside and you nullified most of what he did. He struggled with us last three or four games and was subbed, maybe by then his head was turned but i’m still not convinced he was the real deal.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

It will have been a huge increase in wages so  think an offer many of us would have taken if we’re being honest. Taking the money out of the equation though he was very predictable and teams soon sussed him out, stop him cutting inside and you nullified most of what he did. He struggled with us last three or four games and was subbed, maybe by then his head was turned but i’m still not convinced he was the real deal.

Yes, that was the subtext to my point. I’m not convinced he’s any better than guys we’ve let go and have slipped down the leagues.

I think Motherwell and Jake Hastie got the best deal they were ever going to get.

12 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Yes, that was the subtext to my point. I’m not convinced he’s any better than guys we’ve let go and have slipped down the leagues.

That's harsh. He looked dangerous in almost all of the games he played which can't have been a fluke. I don't see him playing below Scottish Premiership level.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I think Motherwell and Jake Hastie got the best deal they were ever going to get.

I think this is very much the case. Once teams had rumbled him he became much less effective. 

Would it have been nice to keep a young player and try and coach him to be better? Absolutely yes. Do I think we've missed out on a massive amount of money in the future? Absolutely not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

That's harsh. He looked dangerous in almost all of the games he played which can't have been a fluke. I don't see him playing below Scottish Premiership level.

Probably a bit harsh. I’d say he made a bigger impact in less games than Ryan Kent...

2 hours ago, AlmostFrazzled said:

I think this is very much the case. Once teams had rumbled him he became much less effective. 

But also this.

4 hours ago, steelboy said:

He was supported because he came through the ranks, he was poor the last few games and subbed. Moving forward I don’t see him playing in the Scottish Premiership in one of the better teams on a weekly basis. I could see him in a lower ranked team or one of the better championship teams. A lot does depend on his developments but I still think there will be question marks regarding his attitude moving forward, he’s no David Turnbull ability or maturity wise.

39 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

He was supported because he came through the ranks, he was poor the last few games and subbed. Moving forward I don’t see him playing in the Scottish Premiership in one of the better teams on a weekly basis. I could see him in a lower ranked team or one of the better championship teams. A lot does depend on his developments but I still think there will be question marks regarding his attitude moving forward, he’s no David Turnbull ability or maturity wise.

His comparison to Turnbull at Perth was amusing even though I thought it was harsh on the young boy.

On 9/2/2019 at 1:48 PM, TvTotherwell said:

Jake Hastie loaned to Rotherham Utd. 

When will young players realize that taking the "big money" isn't always the best thing for their career. 

Good luck to him. 

Irony is we often get upset at the naivety and/or arrogance of English players and fans to the Scottish game and SPFL however it appears many North of the border do the same when talking about any team not to grace the EPL in the past 20 years .... just sayin

• Like 2