Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

Stevie Woods certainly hasn't been trying to blend into the background in any of the footage of the Celtic celebrations that I've seen. He's made a very good career as a goalkeeping coach out of debatable talent  (I personally think there's a fair amount of selective memory involved).

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, daver said:

Stevie Woods certainly hasn't been trying to blend into the background in any of the footage of the Celtic celebrations that I've seen. He's made a very good career as a goalkeeping coach out of debatable talent  (I personally think there's a fair amount of selective memory involved).

In with the bricks at Celtic but nothing to do with his talents. 'Sellick minded' i think is the term they use for it.

I'm delighted a long time servant of our club had made a name for himself as a top coach. I hope plenty of others follow in his footsteps as it does nothing but good to our reputation as a club. 

I know we've had this discussion before, but you don't need to have been a top class player to be a top class coach. Totally different skill sets.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, something else said:

In with the bricks at Celtic but nothing to do with his talents. 'Sellick minded' i think is the term they use for it.

You don't really believe that, do you? He may well be 'Sellick minded ' but they're a bit more professional than that. 

On 4/30/2018 at 1:19 PM, underboyleheating said:

He was prone to the odd gaff, however, I don’t think he was/is as bad as some have made out on here.

There was a period where he was more or less costing us a goal a game.  I agree that in general, there's some people going over the top here, but Samson was a horror show.

(As was Fraser, Woods, Neilsen, Hollis and others, tbf)

Samson was a decent shot stopper, but he always seemed to parry the ball back into the danger area.

I’d have said close on half the goals we were conceding were from a follow up to a “save” or just a general fuck up.

I actually thought (and hoped) he’d turned a corner with the fans after the game at NDP with a decent performance and the celebration of thecequaluser, but IIRC he was back to throwing goals in a few weeks later in the 1st or 2nd game after the winter break.

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

Samson was a decent shot stopper, but he always seemed to parry the ball back into the danger area.

I’d have said close on half the goals we were conceding were from a follow up to a “save” or just a general fuck up.

So what you're saying is; he was a bad shot-stopper, as he batted them into the six yard box?

28 minutes ago, weeyin said:

For all his faults, Samson ended up doing better than Twardzik after he left us. And people on here kept trying to persuade me Dan was going to be the answer to our goalkeeping problems.

I dunno if I'd ever be able to solve a 'better' or 'worse' in that scenario. Neither were good, both cost us points.

15 minutes ago, AlmostFrazzled said:

Twardzik was on emergency loan at a time where the rest of the time were absolutely unstoppable so views on him were probably kind of fudged. When he signed permanently he was nae good.

They weren't "fudged" they were laughably wrong.

It was obvious at the time that, during his loan spell, he benefited from an improvement in form from the rest of the team. But there were still those who were convinced just putting him between the sticks suddenly made guys like McFadden play better.

8 hours ago, AlmostFrazzled said:

Twardzik was on emergency loan at a time where the rest of the time were absolutely unstoppable so views on him were probably kind of fudged. When he signed permanently he was nae good.

My memory of him was he was very good with his feet......control/distribution etc etc....I m sure we had a 5 game winning run when he came in......could be wrong