Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

His Rotherham stint seemed to mirror his first team spell with us. Made a good start, then faded a bit as teams wised up on how to deal with him and ended up with 15 minute appearances from the bench.

If someone can coach him to be as effective on the outside as he is cutting inside he still has the potential to be a good addition somewhere.

On 1/28/2020 at 4:09 PM, Ross said:

Why would you not won’t someone who is better than any of our current wingers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You see I’m not convinced Hastie is as good as he maybe thinks he is. He had a hot but very short spell but was probably about the most one dimensional player i’d seen for a while. I still remember commenting on him at one home game when you just knew he was going to try and cut inside every single time. I think we also need to remember how poor he was the last three or four games where he was subbed after doing next to nothing. I’m also less than convinced about his attitude which I note has also been mentioned on the Rotherham forum.Could he develop ? The coaching staff at the club are very good at improving players but I still thing Hastie will be one of those players that ends up staying in Scotland and playing below premiership level I’m afraid. I get the argument that he could not turn down the Rangers offer but think it  could well have ended up costing him a career at the top level.

You see I’m not convinced Hastie is as good as he maybe thinks he is. He had a hot but very short spell but was probably about the most one dimensional player i’d seen for a while. I still remember commenting on him at one home game when you just knew he was going to try and cut inside every single time. I think we also need to remember how poor he was the last three or four games where he was subbed after doing next to nothing. Could he develop ? The coaching staff at the club are very good at improving players but I still thing Hastie will be one of those players that ends up staying in Scotland and playing below premiership level I’m afraid. I get the argument that he could not turn down the Rangers offer but think it  could well have ended up costing him a career at the top level.

I don’t think he’s Pelé but you don’t need to be Pelé to be better than seedorf,illic and co

9 minutes ago, Ross said:

I don’t think he’s Pelé but you don’t need to be Pelé to be better than seedorf,illic and co

10 minutes ago, Ross said:

In my view both Scott and Hylton are better players so even if he returned in what position would he play ?

6 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Ive seen it mentioned a few times this week that Moult, Marvin & Big Cedric were in the stand watching last weekend, were they up for any special event? Or just for the craic?

Just taking advantage a free FA Cup weekend, I think (at least that's what the commentator on MFC TV said).

Just imagine the Damage we could do with those three in the team! 

Makes You proud of our Wee Club when You see things like that. Those guys could have been anywhere last weekend but went back up to watch their old Club. It shows how much we can affect players, as well as being a great advert for future talent

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Just imagine the Damage we could do with those three in the team! 

Makes You proud of our Wee Club when You see things like that. Those guys could have been anywhere last weekend but went back up to watch their old Club. It shows how much we can affect players, as well as being a great advert for future talent

On a similar note, seeing James McFadden jnr among the ‘well fans at dens (was highlighted in BBC coverage) really pleased me and made me kind of proud. 

Hall, Erwin , Hastie and McInstry. have they had their heads been turned by  Football Agents with commision on their minds? If they had stayed for another season and developed their trade here how would things have panned out. 

PS keep young Faddy on the radar :)

9 hours ago, Wee Alpha said:

Hall, Erwin , Hastie and McInstry. have they had their heads been turned by  Football Agents with commision on their minds? If they had stayed for another season and developed their trade here how would things have panned out. 

PS keep young Faddy on the radar :)

Mckinstry is an entirely different situation to the other three. He hadn't broken into the first team so he went to Leeds to continue his development, with more money, better facilities, better players etc. The other three had broken into the first team already and probably could have benefitted from playing more first team football regularly, however they took the move and ended up being passed about from loan to loan until there contracts runs out, or in Hasties case, recalled early.

11 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

Mckinstry is an entirely different situation to the other three. He hadn't broken into the first team so he went to Leeds to continue his development, with more money, better facilities, better players etc. The other three had broken into the first team already and probably could have benefitted from playing more first team football regularly, however they took the move and ended up being passed about from loan to loan until there contracts runs out, or in Hasties case, recalled early.

By all accounts McKinstry is doing very well at Leeds. Scored twice against Wolves last week in a 2-2 draw for the U23 team, quite highly thought of and from what I’ve read expected to push for the first team in the coming years. 

Would’ve been lovely to see him playing for the first team at Fir Park, but also nice to see alumni progressing elsewhere safe in the knowledge that they were made in Motherwell.