Jump to content

Andy_P

Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, underboyleheating said:

How old is Chris Porter? It seems like a lifetime ago since he played upfront for us.

37. Still banging in a goal every 3 games or so though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lang with his 5th goal in 7 games today for Wigan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CoF said:

Lang with his 5th goal in 7 games today for Wigan. 

Glad he's doing well. Shows what a good loan spell can do for a player and should encourage others to come and join us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, weeyin said:

Glad he's doing well. Shows what a good loan spell can do for a player and should encourage others to come and join us.

Although he didn't score yesterday it was interesting to hear from Exeter's opponents yesterday ( Orient) that Bowman ragdolled their entire defence throughout. 

No surprise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robinson doing the rounds as next in line for the Aberdeen job. 

It's just a twitter rumour, literally 30 minutes after news broke that McInnes is away, but he'll be in the running regardless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aberdeen are fucking idiots, McInnes has done a good job there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Knowing Aberdeen, they'll go for Alexander. They always want our managers :lol:

(Not a serious comment before anyone responds).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Aberdeen are fucking idiots, McInnes has done a good job there.

They still think its the mid 80's up there and they are a big club, instead of the bang average provincial club they are, agreed re McInnes though think he has done well up there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They have the third highest wage bill by a country mile, they should be finishing third. They finished behind us last year and are going to finish below Hibs this year. 

I can see why they've made a change. Interesting to see if Robinson is rumoured for it in a serious way or if there will be a clamour for a bigger name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

They have the third highest wage bill by a country mile, they should be finishing third. They finished behind us last year and are going to finish below Hibs this year. 

Pretty much my view. I don't know though how their wage bill would have compared to say Hibs and Hearts in previous years. I'd say they should be finishing 3rd or 4th most years and they've pretty much done that. Under McInnes they've punched their weight no more no less. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be surprised if Robinson is a serious candidate - although it would fit their pattern of hiring Motherwell managers, I suppose.

Strachan might be a good shout.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Aberdeen are fucking idiots, McInnes has done a good job there.

McInnes is a dreadful manager.

I'd love to see this place if we'd 1 goal in 9 matches and 2 wins in 13.  And that's with a much higher budget than the majority of the league.

This is a guy that has regularly changed shape and personnel to defend as soon as they go 1-0 up, regardless of location or opponents.  Now they can't even score.

They have lost good players but basically as a manager McInnes is a dud.  They have pretty much been dire for the last three seasons.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, weeyin said:

I'd be surprised if Robinson is a serious candidate - although it would fit their pattern of hiring Motherwell managers, I suppose.

Strachan might be a good shout.

 

I seen what you did there :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They could very well follow the norm and hire an ex-Well manager in McLeish though. An Aberdeen legend that "knows the size of the club" and would likely take the job in a heartbeat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

McInnes is a dreadful manager.

I'd love to see this place if we'd 1 goal in 9 matches and 2 wins in 13.  And that's with a much higher budget than the majority of the league.

This is a guy that has regularly changed shape and personnel to defend as soon as they go 1-0 up, regardless of location or opponents.  Now they can't even score.

They have lost good players but basically as a manager McInnes is a dud.  They have pretty much been dire for the last three seasons.

 

They've finished 4th or above for about 9 seasons now!

 

Teams on a similar budget like Hearts and Hibs have had nowhere near as much consistency as Aberdeen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

They've finished 4th or above for about 9 seasons now!

 

Teams on a similar budget like Hearts and Hibs have had nowhere near as much consistency as Aberdeen.

Comes back to the very discussions we have on here - do you follow a football team for entertainment or to see the club stable and successful. McInnes' record is very good -  4 cup finals -including one win - and 4 second place finishes. Despite all that, for a few seasons they have been brutal to watch and I think a lot of their fans would rather pour hot bovril in their own eyes than tune in these days. 

Maybe the board feel the quality of entertainment isn't an issue, rather, he's taken them as far as he can and they want someone else to come in and take that next step forward. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From a Motherwell perspective I welcome the change. They may appoint someone shite and give us an advantage over them! :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s textbook Aberdeen delusion. They still live in 1983. Woe betide them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, CoF said:

Comes back to the very discussions we have on here - do you follow a football team for entertainment or to see the club stable and successful. McInnes' record is very good -  4 cup finals -including one win - and 4 second place finishes. Despite all that, for a few seasons they have been brutal to watch and I think a lot of their fans would rather pour hot bovril in their own eyes than tune in these days. 

Maybe the board feel the quality of entertainment isn't an issue, rather, he's taken them as far as he can and they want someone else to come in and take that next step forward. 

All good things come to an end. McInnes has stabilised Aberdeen and got them to where they should be.

The issues is there was no where else to go - they won't be top 2 ever.  Both Aberdeen and McInnes need a fresh start.   Makes sense that they've parted company , bring in. a new manager and assess the squad before the end of the season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McInnes is a good manager at Scottish Premiership level and the best that Aberdeen could realistically expect to get. Before he took over they had been a bottom six club for three or four years yet he oversaw a Cup win in his first season and regularly finished 2nd or 3rd in the ensuing years.

That clubs arrogance will always be their downfall, as they measure every manager and team against Sir Alex Ferguson’s 1980s sides and believe that they are entitled to success.

Hell slap it into them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently we got beat 3-1 by Hearts in a closed door game yesterday, Elliott Frear scoring against us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess it’s a difficult one for any manager coming in to Aberdeen. As said above his overall record is right where it should be over the nine year period and they have little to no chance of finishing anywhere higher than 3rd now regardless. Given that no one is going to come in and do any better and it just comes down to the level of entertainment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McInnes got Aberdeen into Europe year after year, but their results there were unextraordinary, to sat the least. Same problem with cups. Almost always there or thereabouts, but apart from the early League Cup, they won nothing, and might as well have stayed in the hoose when they were up against Celtic (sounds familiar). Their fans might have a Fergie fixation, but most aren't that stupid, they know where their best chance of silverware lies. 

Nothing's ever good enough for fans. We finish 3rd or 4th and mump about the standard of football, get to cup finals and complain when we don't beat the best team in the country. I do it as much as anyone. It's why we chose Alexander over Wright - the possibilities. You never know vs the same old, same old. How often does it work, for anyone?

Imagine what we'd make of our legendary side of the 20s and 30s these days - Sailor Hunter would've been out on his arse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Imagine what we'd make of our legendary side of the 20s and 30s these days - Sailor Hunter would've been out on his arse.

I can just imagine the outrage  on here. Headlines like: Hunter should be hunted! Time to walk the plank Sailor! Shape up or ship out! Captain of a ship of fools! Sailor, abandon ship! And so on and so on... 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×