Jump to content

Andy_P

Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

I can just imagine the outrage  on here. Headlines like: Hunter should be hunted! Time to walk the plank Sailor! Shape up or ship out! Captain of a ship of fools! Sailor, abandon ship! And so on and so on... 

As long as there are no seaman jokes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

I guess it’s a difficult one for any manager coming in to Aberdeen. As said above his overall record is right where it should be over the nine year period and they have little to no chance of finishing anywhere higher than 3rd now regardless. Given that no one is going to come in and do any better and it just comes down to the level of entertainment.

Think their main problem is their Chairman Cormack who, when he came in, was telling everyone they would end the dominance of the Old Firm and actually believed it. McInnes was never going to be part of his long term plan for world domination, a safe pair of hands who would probably keep them 3rd/4th most seasons but his aspirations go above that.

Anyone who names a new training complex after their selves must have some delusions of grandeur.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope  he never comes back to Motherwell in any capacity here is what  he says “But that’s the hardest part about going back to Celtic with another club. I didn’t want to return to Scotland after I played for Celtic. I wanted to be remembered for scoring goals in a Celtic shirt. That didn’t happen

They say “As for Scott? He’ll always be remembered for playing for Celtic, he’s lifted enough trophies.

I say As for Scott he'll always be remembered for scoring 2 goals to deny Celtic the title in a Motherwell Shirt LOL

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Coatsy said:

Hope  he never comes back to Motherwell in any capacity here is what  he says “But that’s the hardest part about going back to Celtic with another club. I didn’t want to return to Scotland after I played for Celtic. I wanted to be remembered for scoring goals in a Celtic shirt. That didn’t happen

They say “As for Scott? He’ll always be remembered for playing for Celtic, he’s lifted enough trophies.

I say As for Scott he'll always be remembered for scoring 2 goals to deny Celtic the title in a Motherwell Shirt LOL

 

I think that was Scott Brown they were talking about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Noticed that Turnbull never made the Scotland squad, thought he would be a definite given his recent form. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Noticed that Turnbull never made the Scotland squad, thought he would be a definite given his recent form. 

He's up against McGinn and Armstrong for a place in the squad so tough competition. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Turnbull had never gone to Celtic he would be in the squad, especially if he had never had that medical he would have been there for 2 years now.

His time will come, there should be a clear out after a major championship and the squad will be rebuilt with those currently seen as prospects e.g. Turnbull, Gilmour etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scott McDonald was always a self centred, arrogant wee arsehole. Really good player for us in both spells but always got the impression he was a difficult man to have in your dressing room.

Saying that no surprise to read about him and McGhee clashing, he was another self entered clown that we are better off without.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, steelboy said:

He's up against McGinn and Armstrong for a place in the squad so tough competition. 

This is true but he's a vastly superior player to Kenny McLean for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Yassin said:

This is true but he's a vastly superior player to Kenny McLean for me. 

I think it's just classic Steve Clarke, not making any changes to anything he thinks is working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Yassin said:

This is true but he's a vastly superior player to Kenny McLean for me. 

Aye but Clarke might not see them as being the same position. The current midfield has done well and I don't think it will be too long until we are starting McTominay, Gilmour and Turnbull.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cant believe Turnbull not in squad and dont start me on Che Adams , if we weren't in euros no way would he suddenly decide he is passionate about Scotland.  I would ditch the grandparent rule.. either born in Scotland or having Scottish parent makes you eligible.  End of rant

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Cant believe Turnbull not in squad and dont start me on Che Adams , if we weren't in euros no way would he suddenly decide he is passionate about Scotland.  I would ditch the grandparent rule.. either born in Scotland or having Scottish parent makes you eligible.  End of rant

Spot on, Adams harks back to the bertie voghts days, if you had ever eaten shortbread or Haggis you were  in the squad, guys like Adams, and Mc Burnie should never be near the squad, never have been and never will be interested in Scotland.

Meanwhile we have the likes of Gilmour,  Turnbull and a few others playing regularly for top clubs and not getting near the squad.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same here - I've always been against the grandparent rule in favour of the born in Scotland or one Scottish parent option.

(The Scottish parents rule would still have made McBurnie eligible though, so it's not perfect).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, weeyin said:

(The Scottish parents rule would still have made McBurnie eligible though, so it's not perfect).

You would think that the fact that he's pure shite would be enough to rule him out.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The u21 striker has been Hornby and the u19s have had Dapo Mebude up front. There is also Kyle Joseph from Wigan in the youth squads. None of them qualify under Weeyin's purity law. None of them are that great which shows how badly we are doing at bringing through goal scorers. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Spot on, Adams harks back to the bertie voghts days, if you had ever eaten shortbread or Haggis you were  in the squad, guys like Adams, and Mc Burnie should never be near the squad, never have been and never will be interested in Scotland.

Meanwhile we have the likes of Gilmour,  Turnbull and a few others playing regularly for top clubs and not getting near the squad.

Mcburnie is an easy target, purely because he hasn't been very good, which is fair doos, If Che Adams comes in and starts banging them in, I am sure you won't be arsed. I notice you didn't mention Lyndon Dykes, is that because he has been the total reverse of Mcburnie and put in a solid shift up top?

I am in total agreement that Turnbull should have been in the squad, probably the best player outside Rangers in the league however I accept that he is battling for a spot in the most competitive part of the team and Clarke (rightly so maybe?) is remaining loyal to the players that got us there. 

Gilmour is an interesting one, I would love to see him in the squad but surely none of us can sit here and say he merits it right now, he isn't playing enough football to be in with a shout, Both Turnbull and Gilmour are the future of the Scottish midfield and there time will come sooner or later.

I can't think of many more who are hard done by not to be in the squad? Ryan Gauld maybe, can't claim to have seen him play a single minute since he left Dundee utd so I couldn't say either way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

I notice you didn't mention Lyndon Dykes, is that because he has been the total reverse of Mcburnie and put in a solid shift up top?

Nah, just forgot all about him, but he is a good example of all that's wrong with the selection policy. He's Australian and most of if not all of his football career / development has been outside Scotland, yes he played well in the caps he's had but is that at the expense of purely homegrown talent?

Scotland has lost far too many good players over the years, by failing to select good homegrown talent at the expense of fake Scots like McBurney, McTomminay, Che Adams etc. The talents of McGeady, Mccarthy,  Ray Houghton,  Tommy Coyne were missed due to this approach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Nah, just forgot all about him, but he is a good example of all that's wrong with the selection policy. He's Australian and most of if not all of his football career / development has been outside Scotland, yes he played well in the caps he's had but is that at the expense of purely homegrown talent?

Scotland has lost far too many good players over the years, by failing to select good homegrown talent at the expense of fake Scots like McBurney, McTomminay, Che Adams etc. The talents of McGeady, Mccarthy,  Ray Houghton,  Tommy Coyne were missed due to this approach.

100% agree that the grandparent rule should be gone, but parents has to be allowed. If I was living down south and my kids were good enough to play for Scotland please dont tell me they wouldnt be Scottish!

I dont agree re Dykes, he is Australian, but both his parents are Scottish. His father is from Dumfries and he has family there.  To say he didnt develop playing in Scotland is also incorrect. He is only 25 and spent the last 5 years playing for Queen of the South and Livingston before getting his move south.

Im not saying for a minute he doesnt feel Australian, but he has chosen to play for Scotland over them so I wouldnt be putting him in the same basket as some of the others you are referring to that should never have been picked.

Re the list of players whom you say we have missed out on, McGeady never wanted to play for Scotland. His parents are Irish, he felt Irish, so he chose them. No issues with that. Likewise McCarthy got selected for Ireland when he was a youth, and chose to stay loyal to them for giving him his chance. Houghton and Coyne played in an era where there were Scots players of similar if not greater ability than them, they didnt miss out because of "fake Scots".

Overall I agree with your point, just not the examples given.....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, steelboy said:

The u21 striker has been Hornby and the u19s have had Dapo Mebude up front. There is also Kyle Joseph from Wigan in the youth squads. None of them qualify under Weeyin's purity law. None of them are that great which shows how badly we are doing at bringing through goal scorers. 

 

 

"Purity Law" ?

Lets not go down that road.

Its called International football for a reason....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, steelboy said:

The u21 striker has been Hornby and the u19s have had Dapo Mebude up front. There is also Kyle Joseph from Wigan in the youth squads. None of them qualify under Weeyin's purity law. None of them are that great which shows how badly we are doing at bringing through goal scorers.

You're making my argument here. Instead of the SFA investing in the infrastructure to develop Scottish players, they depend on substandard non-Scottish players to fill the gaps they created.

As far as your ridiculous "purity law" statement goes - that's kind of the point of international football. If you want to see players from different countries playing in the same team there are one or two other options available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×