Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

51 minutes ago, Haggischomper said:

Robbo is just one of those guys that are a good assistant manager but a terrible manager.

Robbo's record is almost identical to McCall, including a couple of cup finals and a 3rd place league finish.

I'm not saying he was a great manager for us, but nowhere near the Malpas level. His early stuff was certainly at the same eyebleed standard as Wee Tommy's early days.

13 hours ago, weeyin said:

Robbo's record is almost identical to McCall, including a couple of cup finals and a 3rd place league finish.

I'm not saying he was a great manager for us, but nowhere near the Malpas level. His early stuff was certainly at the same eyebleed standard as Wee Tommy's early days.

I really enjoyed Robinson’s first full season with us. Two Cup runs with some big wins in both and a team that although not easy on the eye was competitive and actually looked like they enjoyed playing for us. Like McCall he stayed on too long, he should probably have moved on in summer 2019.

McCall did well for us with a much better set of players but was a complete bottle merchant in big games and a poor coach.

8 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

I really enjoyed Robinson’s first full season with us. Two Cup runs with some big wins in both and a team that although not easy on the eye was competitive and actually looked like they enjoyed playing for us. Like McCall he stayed on too long, he should probably have moved on in summer 2019.

McCall did well for us with a much better set of players but was a complete bottle merchant in big games and a poor coach.

Mcall was superb for us - particularly when we was managing rangers 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Baraclough was a bit hit and miss during his time at Fir Park but he totally out-coached McCall in the play-offs.

However, you can't knock the success McCall had for most of his tenure. It was great while it lasted.

1 hour ago, wellsince75 said:

True :lol:

50 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Baraclough was a bit hit and miss during his time at Fir Park but he totally out-coached McCall in the play-offs.

However, you can't knock the success McCall had for most of his tenure. It was great while it lasted.

McCall was a good guy to have around the club and in the dressing room and he was clearly very popular with the players and staff.

As a manager though he was very one dimensional and couldn’t get the players to raise their game which cost us time and again in big Cup ties. He carried on that tradition against us in the playoff and I’ll forever be thankful that he was in Rangers dugout and not ours for those games as there was no way we were winning them with him in charge. He would have had us beat before a ball was kicked, just like he did in that 2012 League Cup debacle.

Obviously the league performances and high placed finishes in McCall’s tenure were great, but he did benefit greatly from having one of if not the best group of players outside Celtic in the league at the time.

McCall was the opposite of McGhee in that regard.

When things weren't working, he never had a Plan B.

With McGhee, even if things were working, he liked to overthink it and come up with some weird formation every now and then.

In both cases, though, it just goes to show that it's often personality of the manager and how it gels with the players that is the deciding factor in success. It sets the tone for everything, and once you lose that, your time's usually up.

34 minutes ago, grumpy said:

Just heard that Kirkwood (Kirkie) Lawson has passed away, a favourite of mine back in the day, possibly because of his name as much as anything. RIP.

A good friend and neighbour of mine. I'm gutted and my heart goes out to his family.

1 hour ago, grumpy said:

Just heard that Kirkwood (Kirkie) Lawson has passed away, a favourite of mine back in the day, possibly because of his name as much as anything. RIP.

That's a shame. He played in the first 'Well team I remember watching.

53 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Van Der Gaag potentially moving from Ajax to Man Utd as assistant Erik ten Hag.

He's bounced back well after being rejected by Les. 

I know Van der Gaag was heavily linked with the job in the media and with the bookies at the time Baraclough got it, but was he actually seriously in the running for it? Was he even interviewed for it? 

4 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

Remember when Killie brought in the Juventus assistant manager and he was sacked by Christmas. 

Being a good assistant and good manager are often very different things.

He could have had his own full set of cones.

5 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

Remember when Killie brought in the Juventus assistant manager and he was sacked by Christmas. 

Being a good assistant and good manager are often very different things.

Yes I agree with you but although not privy to all goings on I felt his removal summed up scottish football. 

He must have had something about him as assistant at napoli juventus chelsea and Italy as well as others. There's no way he'd have been in those jobs without being good at coaching. 

However kirk broadfoot kris boyd etc said he was hopeless and that was it really for him. The dressing room didn't want to change and we're happy to accept the status quo.

No team in Scotland will ever break the monopoly with the way we accept and the way we all play.

I totally accept finances are the overpowering reason but how do bodo glimt hammer our champions elect as well as roma for instance on a turnover of $6 million dollars? They are obviously doing something different. 

Allesio was trying something different and I have no idea if it would have worked but I'm sure he knows a wee bit more about football than broadfoot and boyd.

Look what's happened to them since also

43 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

Yes I agree with you but although not privy to all goings on I felt his removal summed up scottish football. 

He must have had something about him as assistant at napoli juventus chelsea and Italy as well as others. There's no way he'd have been in those jobs without being good at coaching. 

However kirk broadfoot kris boyd etc said he was hopeless and that was it really for him. The dressing room didn't want to change and we're happy to accept the status quo.

No team in Scotland will ever break the monopoly with the way we accept and the way we all play.

I totally accept finances are the overpowering reason but how do bodo glimt hammer our champions elect as well as roma for instance on a turnover of $6 million dollars? They are obviously doing something different. 

Allesio was trying something different and I have no idea if it would have worked but I'm sure he knows a wee bit more about football than broadfoot and boyd.

You make a good point,the chances of alessio working out at kilmarnock were slim from the very start.the guy has worked at the highest level and will have standards to match it,there was no way guys like boyd and broadfoot would be up for changing there diet and doing extra training sessions,they two have built a career on having it easy at ibrox.mind the same happened at rangers with paul le guen and it was barry ferguson that was leading the clique against him cause he didn't want to be doing anymore than he wanted to.you would the players at kilmarnock at the time would have been desperate to learn from someone that's worked at the top but there seemed to be issues right from the off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gaz7 said:

I've heard from someone close to  a player who was at Killie under him (I know this is getting a bit removed from the horses mouth) that training was nothing but walking pace positional stuff. All structure and shape but never done at pace.

Clearly he has something about him to coach/assist at that level, but when he hasn't been the main man anywhere else there's probably a reason for that.