Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

1 hour ago, mfc said:

You make a good point,the chances of alessio working out at kilmarnock were slim from the very start.the guy has worked at the highest level and will have standards to match it,there was no way guys like boyd and broadfoot would be up for changing there diet and doing extra training sessions,they two have built a career on having it easy at ibrox.mind the same happened at rangers with paul le guen and it was barry ferguson that was leading the clique against him cause he didn't want to be doing anymore than he wanted to.you would the players at kilmarnock at the time would have been desperate to learn from someone that's worked at the top but there seemed to be issues right from the off.

I heard the opposite, the players were off doing running and fitness work on their own cos they were never getting any intense work at training.

12 minutes ago, mfc said:

Aye do one and take your jokes with you :P

I thought I was going to be called a dry lunch again for a moment!! Heh he

Ps. I broke up with a girl years ago because of her obsession with counting........I wonder what she's up to now!!             I'm here all week 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/keith-lasley-set-motherwell-exit-26708191

Keith Lasley set for Motherwell exit as Fir Park icon closes in on St Mirren chief executive role

Lasley is set to end a 15-year association with the Steelmen after being lined up to be Tony Fitzpatrick's replacement.

Motherwell stalwart Keith Lasley will quit Fir Park to replace Tony Fitzpatrick as St Mirren’s new chief executive.

Record Sport understands a compensation package has been agreed between the clubs, with Lasley set to take the reins in Paisley at the end of this campaign.

The 42-year-old has spent the last 15 years as a player and coach in Lanarkshire but is now set to link up with former Motherwell boss Stephen Robinson after being head hunted by Saints’ board.

An announcement is expected before the end of this week but a source close to the deal told us: “Keith is excited at the vision St Mirren’s board have laid out for the club and wants to play a part in those plans.”

Lasley played for Motherwell from 1999 to 2004, leaving to spend just two years at Plymouth Argyle before returning in 2006.

He retired from playing in 2017 to immediately step into the role as Robinson's assistant, and stepped up as interim boss when Robinson resigned in December 2020.

Graham Alexander was happy to keep him on and Lasley penned a new one year deal last summer to bring him in line with the boss and fellow assistant Chris Lucketti.

But with that deal close to expiring he finally appears set to move on.

13 hours ago, mfc said:

,there was no way guys like boyd and broadfoot would be up for changing there diet and doing extra training sessions

Broadfoot wouldn't have had any career if he wasn't fit as a fiddle. The guy had zero ability but clearly trained like a demon. 

14 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

I've heard from someone close to  a player who was at Killie under him (I know this is getting a bit removed from the horses mouth) that training was nothing but walking pace positional stuff. All structure and shape but never done at pace.

Is that not what good coaches should be doing though ?  the players should all be fit and able to run about all day if required, that's a basic so getting them to play a certain formation, track back, cover when the opponents have the ball etc is more important in my opinion.

Yes you need to keep up you fitness but that should not be all the training, no point in being super fit if you have no idea what you should be doing on the Park 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Is that not what good coaches should be doing though ?  the players should all be fit and able to run about all day if required, that's a basic so getting them to play a certain formation, track back, cover when the opponents have the ball etc is more important in my opinion.

Yes you need to keep up you fitness but that should not be all the training, no point in being super fit if you have no idea what you should be doing on the Park 

If you follow that approach you'll just end up with technically excellent, tactically astute football players.

Don't want any of that nonsense near Scottish Football!

• Haha 2

I'm not a footballer by a long stretch but it's probably fair to say that there's a balance to be had and Allessio got that balance wrong and focused too much on what he was good with and couldn't identify that there was more required. Thats the great thing about being an assistant, there's someone above you to recognise things like that.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mark-mcghee-says-hes-turned-26748678

“There are two things I’m doing this week to focus us on getting the win. The first thing, I’ve gone on a diet so I’m hungry all the time."

“I can then ask myself why am I hungry – and I am hungry because there is a big game on Saturday.

“The second thing I’m doing, and I’ve also told Charlie I am doing this, I won’t be using any heating. So I will be cold.

“I then ask myself why am I cold – and I can say because of the game on Saturday."

Mark McGhee is something else :lol:

6 minutes ago, weeyin said:

New no 2 at Old Trafford.

New COO at St Mirren.

Manager of Belgium national team (currently ranked 2).

We're just a conveyor belt for top class coaches.

You forgot Gary McAllister as Gerrards no 2 at Ibrox and Aston Villa 

21 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

You forgot Gary McAllister as Gerrards no 2 at Ibrox and Aston Villa 

Good point.

And McLair was Director of Man U's youth academy for a number of years before his brief stint as National Performance Director for the SFA.