Jump to content

Andy_P

Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Recommended Posts

If Dunne stays fit I think he's exactly what Aberdeen need. An old school defender who focuses on tackling and clearing instead of trying to be a winger or make Hollywood passes. I always liked the fact his priority was defending first, and enjoyed it when he gave players a 10 yard start and then just strolled past them to take the ball.

Aberdeen's defence was woeful last season, so it won't take much to improve it.

Of course, the staying fit part is the key and his track record on that is pretty poor. It's why we were able to pick him up for free in the first place. And I wouldn't pay £350k for him.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, weeyin said:

If Dunne stays fit I think he's exactly what Aberdeen need. An old school defender who focuses on tackling and clearing instead of trying to be a winger or make Hollywood passes. I always liked the fact his priority was defending first, and enjoyed it when he gave players a 10 yard start and then just strolled past them to take the ball.

Aberdeen's defence was woeful last season, so it won't take much to improve it.

Of course, the staying fit part is the key and his track record on that is pretty poor. It's why we were able to pick him up for free in the first place. And I wouldn't pay £350k for him.

Aberdeen have better defenders at the club so if they were bad last season they  need to be looking at the full backs and general tactics rather than bringing in someone like Dunne.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They currently have:

Joe "he doesn't usually make mistakes like that" Lewis in goal.

Jack MacKenzie

Declan Gallgher

David Bates

Calvin Ramsay

listed as first team defenders

Ramsay is the best player in that list, but he is much more of an attacking wing-back option than solid defender (and likely to be gone in the summer).

You could argue that McRorie was a decent fill-in in defence (although he was a bit ropey when I saw him play), but he should have been playing in the midfield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Dunne, but paying money for him is crazy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goodwin had an excellent track record at Alloa and St Mirren. Respected for developing players and discovering decent players from the likes of Ireland. Tactically he often outwitted both Robinson and Alexander. Not worked out yet at Aberdeen but it will. He inherited a shambles from Glass who in fairness had been thrown in at the deep end. And if it does not work out at Aberdeen, I hope he ends up at Fir Park some day.

If Goodwin believes Dunne can help him to sort out that defence then he clearly has more faith in Dunne than some on here. Having managed Dunne at St Mirren I suggest he is in a far better position to judge than we are. He will also have taken Dunne's injury record into account and must have information that suggests those problems have been overcome. But it is a risk. Then again all transfers are.

As with quite a few players, Dunne was never as poor as some on here would have you believe. Maybe not a superstar on the field but a decent player. One of those whose good performances were ignored by his critics but whose every mistake was met with glee by those same critics.  And he was an integral part of the most successful team we have had in recent times. A player who always gave his all.  I believe if he had not picked up that terrible injury in an early season League Cup match (at Stranraer?) he would have been a key player that season and beyond. The Club clearly thought so as well given the number of times he was given a short term contract in the hope he would fully recover. St Mirren and Goodwin took a gamble and offered him a two year contract when we were not prepared to do so. And that worked out fine.

So if he ends up at Aberdeen, good luck to him. He has earned that reward. And if St Mirren benefit to the tune of £350k, well done them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

That has to be made up! 

Cant believe Aberdeen would want him, let alone pay £350k for him.

I liked Dunne, his pace is a real attribute,  but his defending was erratic and his injury record is horrendous.

Is Pittodrie wider than Fir Park?  Maybe his balls launched forward will stay on the pitch.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Copied and pasted from a different website which I seen earlier, update on Andy Goram, sadly there is sick people who support a certain team in Glasgow who seem to be taking great delight from this

 

Just a wee update.. As you know I took a wee turn for the worst Tuesday… I had another scan Tuesday and unfortunately the cancer has spread far to quickly for normal… The situation is that now the surgeon has let me know I just have between 4 - 6 weeks to go, There’s lymph nodes in my neck that has been attacked by the cancer and I’m now going to the Beatson Monday to get a protector fitted ready for a session of radiotherapy on Tuesday to blitz it….  If been told that later next week I’ve got the first bed available for St Andrews Hospice to spend some quality time with my Son Danny and grandkids and of course my family…..and friends.. It’s a quality place with the best facilities and medication…

Tbh it’s the best place to be for my treatment and for R+R so I’m looking forward to getting there.. Thanks again for all your love and support and you really have no idea how much it means to me

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, twistandshout1983 said:

Copied and pasted from a different website which I seen earlier, update on Andy Goram, sadly there is sick people who support a certain team in Glasgow who seem to be taking great delight from this

 

Just a wee update.. As you know I took a wee turn for the worst Tuesday… I had another scan Tuesday and unfortunately the cancer has spread far to quickly for normal… The situation is that now the surgeon has let me know I just have between 4 - 6 weeks to go, There’s lymph nodes in my neck that has been attacked by the cancer and I’m now going to the Beatson Monday to get a protector fitted ready for a session of radiotherapy on Tuesday to blitz it….  If been told that later next week I’ve got the first bed available for St Andrews Hospice to spend some quality time with my Son Danny and grandkids and of course my family…..and friends.. It’s a quality place with the best facilities and medication…

Tbh it’s the best place to be for my treatment and for R+R so I’m looking forward to getting there.. Thanks again for all your love and support and you really have no idea how much it means to me

 

 

That's absolutely heartbreaking for anybody having to go through that,football should never come into it,if there's fans of the other lot taking delight in this then they really are the lowest of the low.i hope andy and his family make the most of the time they have left,best of luck to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

 

How in God's name is Bob McHugh only 30...?!

He should be about 38 by now...!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surprised at the fee quoted tbh, given the money they throw about in the English market. (Also surprised they want to let him leave).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paper talk of Turnbull to West Ham for £9m

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Richie said:

Paper talk of Turnbull to West Ham for £9m

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
 

I’d like to see that. West Ham would be a good club for him I think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jake Hastie off to Hartlepool.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reports of David Turnbull being linked to a move to West Ham and that they’ve offered £9m while Celtic are holding out for £11m. Would be a great move for him and a great pay day for Motherwell if there is a reputed 10-20% sell on clause. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Stuwell2 said:

Reports of David Turnbull being linked to a move to West Ham and that they’ve offered £9m while Celtic are holding out for £11m. Would be a great move for him and a great pay day for Motherwell if there is a reputed 10-20% sell on clause. 

Can’t believe west ham would haggle over 2 million. Chicken feed to them.  Just pay the 11 million and take him. Done! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

Can’t believe west ham would haggle over 2 million. Chicken feed to them.  Just pay the 11 million and take him. Done! 

West Ham's recent financials:

"WH Holding Ltd has announced its financial results for the year ending 31 May 2021.

The Club reports a net loss before tax of £26.9m, a decrease of £38.4m from the loss of £65.3m in 2019-20."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, weeyin said:

West Ham's recent financials:

"WH Holding Ltd has announced its financial results for the year ending 31 May 2021.

The Club reports a net loss before tax of £26.9m, a decrease of £38.4m from the loss of £65.3m in 2019-20."

 

If they sell Rice and Soucek as seems likely, they could buy Turnbull with the loose change. Losses of £27m are only a slight inconvenience in the Premier League. It's a different world thanks to Sky and sponsor deals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dennyc said:

If they sell Rice and Soucek as seems likely, they could buy Turnbull with the loose change. Losses of £27m are only a slight inconvenience in the Premier League. It's a different world thanks to Sky and sponsor deals.

They surely made a boatload of cash this year from reaching Europa league semi final 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×