Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

Not got the slightest interest in seeing TW in a Motherwell top again.
Never was his greatest fan to start with, always said he had a great knack of either flicking the ball just past the post or directly at the keeper and hit a purple patch with us but I do agree that he gave his all, tracked back, was good at winning a foul and taking the pressure off. 
Loved a sitter, did TWatt.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ropy said:

His contract was renegotiated from the end of May to the end of June so that we got the Euro money and he got to leave for Aberdeen and not have to stay for the extra year that his appearances had triggered.

I'm sure I had read that the way the cash rewards worked for player call ups for major tournaments worked dependant on the sides the players had served within the last 12 months or so. If he had left at the end of August almost a year before the tournament we would get a nominal fee or come January then it would be half, well that was my understanding at least. That would have been a kick in the stones to see Gallagher make his mark with Scotland for us and play his part in getting to a major tourney for the first time in over 20 years and not even kick a ball for Aberdeen but they get a few hundred grand.

On 8/15/2022 at 4:22 PM, SteelmaninOZ said:

Maybe Tony is plotting his next move….:ph34r:

DU forum contains a lot of chat about him having 'done nothing' since he arrived, looks like he's towing a caravan and is causing unrest in the dressing room.

11 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

DU forum contains a lot of chat about him having 'done nothing' since he arrived, looks like he's towing a caravan and is causing unrest in the dressing room.

Robinson seems to have been the only gaffer in recent times that found a way to get him to knuckle down and produce goals. Outside of that, the Dundee Utd experience seems pretty standard.

It's also why I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up in Paisley.

19 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Robinson seems to have been the only gaffer in recent times that found a way to get him to knuckle down and produce goals. Outside of that, the Dundee Utd experience seems pretty standard.

It's also why I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up in Paisley.

Alexander, surely?

6 minutes ago, weeyin said:

GA reaped the benefit of Robbo signing him, extending his contract to summer of 2022, getting his head right and getting him to put the extra effort into getting fit.

His improvement in fitness happened 6 months after Robinson left.

I would guess it was more down to entering the final 12 months of his contract than either manager.

7 minutes ago, weeyin said:

You thought he was fitter in Feb 2020 than Dec 2020?

Fair enough.

When he came in at first he looked like a guy who hadn't played much football. In 20-21 he was pretty average. When he came back after that summer he looked a lot stronger and leaner.

15 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Lawrence Shankland better start looking over his shoulder. Curtis Main on the scoresheet for St Mirren. 

A double now for King Curt

40 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Always thought main was a decent player albeit one who wouldn’t score many goals but his hols up play etc was solid.

I agree.  He did a lot of donkey work up front and worked well in Robinson's set up. He's just not a natural goal-scorer and in his later days with us he had obviously lost some confidence in his shooting and tended to drift out of scoring positions rather than gambling to get in them.

His best ever season is 8 league goals at Doncaster, but he can be a good man to play off.

10 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I agree.  He did a lot of donkey work up front and worked well in Robinson's set up. He's just not a natural goal-scorer and in his later days with us he had obviously lost some confidence in his shooting and tended to drift out of scoring positions rather than gambling to get in them.

His best ever season is 8 league goals at Doncaster, but he can be a good man to play off.

Absolutely has qualities as long as you’re not expecting him to score goals. 

16 hours ago, weeyin said:

It speaks volumes of the state the Dundee untd defence is in just now if  Curtis Main can score two against them .

56 minutes ago, Motherwell Daft said:

I’m delighted to see Tony Watt being part of the squad pumped 9-0 by the green biggits,

I hope he’s on his twitter feed again saying “it’s nights (or afternoons) like this that I joined United for”

Agree with that, but you probably should have waited till next week and after we hopefully beat them before posting, given our record against teams needing a moral boosting win :nod:

• Like 1