Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

Jim O'Brien has left Shrewsbury today. When he was at Coventry, he became unhappy due to being too far away from his family in Yorkshire, so him arriving at Ross County on loan last season after that statement seemed a bit bizarre. I wonder where he will end up.

Jim O'Brien has left Shrewsbury today. When he was at Coventry, he became unhappy due to being too far away from his family in Yorkshire, so him arriving at Ross County on loan last season after that statement seemed a bit bizarre. I wonder where he will end up.

Staying at Ross County it seems. 2 year contract.

That was Bruce (Brucceeeee) Cleland who was a striker we signed from Albion Rovers.

Chic McLelland was a defender.

And Stuart McLelland was a striker we converted to a defender where he had more success.

Steve McLelland?

You know, I could have sworn it was Steve too - but wikipedia has it listed as Stuart, so I thought my old memory was playing tricks.

He was a pretty mediocre striker, but was a revelation when he stepped backward into defence and won player of the year in that position.

Yup , Steve did very well in central defence during the 81/82 season. I seem to remember him being our player of the year.

Then Jock Wallace turned up the following season and as with so many of our title winning team he failed to get the best out of Steve.

Steve then left Motherwell and basically drifted out of the game.

Yup , Steve did very well in central defence during the 81/82 season. I seem to remember him being our player of the year.

Then Jock Wallace turned up the following season and as with so many of our title winning team he failed to get the best out of Steve.

Steve then left Motherwell and basically drifted out of the game.

I suppose Wallace did what was asked of him keeping us up that first year (we won't mention the few months of the second) but you do wonder how it might have panned out had David Hay remained in charge with some of the attacking talents he had within the team.

Staying at Ross County it seems. 2 year contract.

Got to love the way the press reports this as "Former Celtic Midfielder". The guy has played something like 325 professional games of which exactly ONE was for Celtic.

Dom Thomas puts the boot in on the BBC. I always thought he was worth a better chance than we gave him.

Kilmarnock winger reliving Dom Thomas' school days after Motherwell disappointment
Dom Thomas has been told to relive his school days at Kilmarnock and the summer signing says it is a breath of fresh air compared to Motherwell.

The 21-year-old winger had been on loan with Queen of the South last season before he and Well parted company.

"He told me to go and play like you are playing in the school with your pals," he said of Killie boss Lee McCulloch.

"And, for me, that's the way it should be played, but people take football too seriously."

Thomas responded by scoring a double in his first start for Kilmarnock as the Ayrshire side came from behind to beat Clyde 4-2 in the League Cup on Tuesday.

Motherwell manager Stephen Robinson said he allowed Thomas to join Killie on a three-year contract because he believed the young Scot no longer wanted to be at Fir Park.

"Everyone has a different opinion, but the way they were playing wasn't really for me," said Thomas.

"The way they set out to play football here is perfect for me.

"The manager said he wants me to play with a smile on my face and that was music to my ears.

"The way I wanted to play football was the way he wants me to play and I am thankful for that."

McCulloch says he is trying to take the fear factor out of football at Rugby Park.

"I spoke to Dom and he was telling me that what he had been taught in the last year or two had been about defence," he recalled as he looked forward to Saturday's next League Cup Group E game away to Annan Athletic.

"I just wanted him to enjoy his football again and go and play as a free spirit and I think he did that the other night.

"As long as he is putting in the hard work then I just want him to enjoy himself and express himself with no fear.

"That is the culture we are trying to create, especially in the final third, just go and express yourself and don't fear giving the ball away.

"Worse things have happened than giving a football away, especially in the final third of the pitch."

Standard stuff when a player changes teams. Of course he's going to say he likes it better.

I'm sure he'll find plenty of Killie games where they are playing not to lose, right enough. He won't be playing Clyde very week.

To be fair both times we beat Killie under Robinson they knocked the ball about well but were undone defending set pieces. It seems like they have some good young players coming through as well.

We were mince though. Everybody played to win against us.

Standard stuff when a player changes teams. Of course he's going to say he likes it better.

I'm sure he'll find plenty of Killie games where they are playing not to lose, right enough. He won't be playing Clyde very week.

Aye, and if Killie doesn't work out for him, he just might.

That article translates to me as "I didn't like working on the stuff I'm not so good at and I'm well chuffed I've got a gaffer that lets me keep on doing the stuff I want to keep doing" which is the reason why he's no longer at fir park.

As said in the article, and anyone who's had burst piles or gonorrhoea will vouch, there are indeed many worse things than giving a football away (especially in the final third), but many football careers have been lost by doing just that.

It'll be interesting to see how it unfolds, it could prove to be a terrific piece of man management by Lee MCulloch or the unwitting last throw of the career dice from a boy who doesn't appreciate the talent and opportunities he's been given in life.

The BBC adding "compared to Motherwell" when in actual fact he doesn't mention us once makes it sound like he is, but tbh I reckon he's just complimenting his new manager.

To be fair he is quoted as saying "The way way they were playing isn't for me" so he is making a direct comparison...

That article translates to me as "I didn't like working on the stuff I'm not so good at and I'm well chuffed I've got a gaffer that lets me keep on doing the stuff I want to keep doing" which is the reason why he's no longer at fir park.

You didn't see us continually lumping the ball long under Robinson then? The style of play may be better this season but that remains to be seen and the signings and 3-6-1 aren't pointing towards attractive, attacking football.

• Like 1

You know I didn't as I'm in exile. Like I said, let's see what happens, it may be a great move for him, big Lee and Killie.

It is fair to say though that to the frustration of many, DT hasn't developed his game beyond what he is instinctively good at. Compare that to his contemporaries such as Cadden then it polarises his shortcomings.

Thomas was around when McGhee was playing his continually-rotating-front-three with Moult, Skippy and Johnson (or Ainsworth). That was pretty much a "play where you like" approach, and he still didn't impress when he got his chance.

All water under the bridge now, though. Good luck to the boy.

We should be hoping it works out for him for the sole reason it will focus the club on the necessity of getting u20s in the first team systematically (rather than just sub appearances when we are desperate for a goal).

Cadden only got a start because we took a 6-0 doing from Hearts. Our own young players apparently have to go above and beyond to earn a first team start which is crazy when we are spending a fortune on bringing in dross like Lucas, Bowman, Clay, Chalmers, Blyth etc.