Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

Had a quick look at an oxford forum the other day and it's fair to say that there are some beginning to question the money spent on Marv and Kane Hemmings.

Many others are saying it's early doors and that Marv will come good. I've always said it, unless Marv improves his stamina and resilience, he's a mid league 1 player at best.

Marvins biggest problem his attitude if he sorts that hed be great but its a bit late for it really so i expect he will end up floating round lower leagues of england and possibly back to scotland at some point

Michael Higdon has announced his retirement from football.

I think it was very much a case of signing for the right club at the right time, but he was a fantastic striker for Motherwell. He was lucky to play in a superb Motherwell side, but he still worked his arse off to overcome a sticky start and score a barrel load over two seasons. For him to look back and be able to say he was the best player in Scotland over a season, I'm sure he'll be very proud of that.

My favourite Motherwell striker in the last 20 years, without a doubt.

• Like 9

Even sadder than that is a St Mirren side contains what were two "successful" Motherwell players still sit bottom of the table. Sutton and Clarkson don't seem to be able to help them out of their downward spiral, though I suppose it says as much for their careers after leaving the 'Well second time around.

Forbes did flourish under Gannon when we were playing that 4-2-3-1 formation, but I think that was largely down to the fact he was playing as a number 10, with Hateley the holding player (probably the only period in which I rated him as a midfielder) and Coke who's engine allowed him to go box to box. It took both the right formation and the right players around him to make him succeed for us.

After Brown came in, he always played two up top and there wasn't anywhere in a four where Forbes particularly fitted. By then the midfield two tended to be Lasley and Jennings. Lasley was still his box-to-box self in those days but for all Jennings strengths, he was far from quick and even had Brown reverted to a different formation, it would probably have been tough to get away with two slow players in the engine room.

As frustrating as it was that he didn't follow up on his good start, we were always relatively successful after that and as such, good enough that there wasn't a necessity to try and fit him into the team. By the time he left we had Law who scored and created goals from midfield, as well as being more versatile and more mobile.

I do always kinda view his Motherwell career in two parts, the part leading up to his penalty miss at New Douglas Park and the part afterwards.

For me, their is no doubting Forbes had the ability. His weakness was always his engine and I don't think he has ever looked fit.

Wether that is just his natural level or its down to a lack of application, I'm not sure.

A fit, mobile player with Forbes ability would have been a superstar for any team in the league.