Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

Murphy, as is well documented on here, is a diehard blue nose - so not much manipulation going on there.

Regardless, I don't see how is kissing a badge any different from a knee slide towards the fans, or picking up and wearing a scarf tossed onto the pitch etc.

Some people are picking up a symbolism I just don't get.

Murphy, as is well documented on here, is a diehard blue nose - so not much manipulation going on there.
Regardless, I don't see how is kissing a badge any different from a knee slide towards the fans, or picking up and wearing a scarf tossed onto the pitch etc.
Some people are picking up a symbolism I just don't get.

If you read my post you will see I acknowledge the manipulation point in Jamie's case.

We all have different buttons/switches/idyiosicrancies and badge kissing just happens to be one of mine, but I'm sure I will eventually get over it, sort out my sad life, and move on

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Owen Coyle deserts the sinking Ross County.
Roy McGregor is a successful businessman and you cannot argue with County's journey under his control but potting McIntyre was a strange and panicky decision, appointing Coyle an even stranger one, bit of an own goal all round.

On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 12:00 AM, Clackscat said:

Because rightly or wrongly I associate badge kissers as insincere supporter manipulators when in fact the vast majority of players will go where the money is. Not that there is anything wrong with that, its a short career and you have to make the most out of it.

I admire Murphy greatly, thought he was great with us and conducted himself very well, followed his career with great interest down south, and hope he does play for Scotland.

He is just not the type if guy I would expect to see indulging in badge kissing, but if they are the only team he ever wanted to play for and has a genuine affection for the club and wants to show it in that fashion then he has every right to. Not the worst crime committed on a football pitch, I merely passed a comment on how I felt about it.

So in a nutshell

'I was disappointed because I am a great fan of Murphy and how he conducts himself, and I associate badge kissing with less sincere and genuine players'

Whether or not Motherwell were involved or not is irrelevant; you are a knowledgable follower of football and I have no doubt have opinions across games/club/players that we are not involved in.

However if he does it at Fir Park after scoring against us (not that i think he would) just watch this board light up emoji6.png

I just had a wee chuckle....... Get over yer sell.

Really don't get the Murphy stuff. He left us so long ago that he doesn't even register as a former Motherwell player to me, just a Rangers fan kissing the Rangers badge after scoring against Hearts. 

I'll probably still boo him at Fir Park. Just because I like booing.

2 hours ago, Yassin said:

Really don't get the Murphy stuff. He left us so long ago that he doesn't even register as a former Motherwell player to me, just a Rangers fan kissing the Rangers badge after scoring against Hearts. 

I'll probably still boo him at Fir Park. Just because I like booing.

I hope he has to hit a penalty against us in the Cup Final, because he was right pish at them. 

Great article in The Scotsman today about Peter Marinello.

I was at that Cowdenbeath cup game (along with half of Lanarkshire it seemed) and remember that goal.

A classic 70s tale of wasted talent. Still one of my favourite 'Well players, though. The strike force of Marinello, Graham, Pettigrew is unmatched in my lifetime.

• Like 3

Great article in The Scotsman today about Peter Marinello.
I was at that Cowdenbeath cup game (along with half of Lanarkshire it seemed) and remember that goal.
A classic 70s tale of wasted talent. Still one of my favourite 'Well players, though. The strike force of Marinello, Graham, Pettigrew is unmatched in my lifetime.

Really interesting read thanks for posting. I once worked in sales for a wine and spirits merchant and came across him in his Edinburgh pub, nice guy and when I told him I was a Well fan was more than happy to chat, he did seem to genuinely enjoy his time with us.

Remember that cup game at C'beath as well, yes what a support that day. Interesting what he says about enjoying playing for Willie McLean as if I remember correctly he took some stick for playing 3-5-2 and supposedly showing C'beath too much respect.

Funny the things you remember or not, as I can't remember much about the game itself other than it was pretty turgid for a while.

My memory is we won two nil and it absolutely hosed down for ninety minutes, my memory is notoriously (t)rusty though.

Oh, and as Weeyin says, Marinello was a fantastic player and is right up there in my list of all time 'Well favourites. :woop:

Central Park was pretty grim as I recall that day. Our arrival in the EK Supporters' Bus coincided with the team coach and, as we watched the players get off, Wilson Humphries barked at me and a mate to carry in the 'Well hamper with the strips (presumably).

The dressing room was tiny and really  basic but it was great to meet the team.

Can't remember much about the game apart from the grotty perimeter track for  speedway (?)  and grass terraces in places.

Central Park was pretty grim as I recall that day. Our arrival in the EK Supporters' Bus coincided with the team coach and, as we watched the players get off, Wilson Humphries barked at me and a mate to carry in the 'Well hamper with the strips (presumably).
 The dressing room was tiny and really  basic but it was great to meet the team.
Can't remember much about the game apart from the grotty perimeter track for  speedway (?)  and grass terraces in places.
I was on that bus too HD! Trying to work out who you may be