Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

1 hour ago, Yabba's Turd said:

Define shit? Shit among the elite? he's probably been in the top 20 or 30 Scottish goalkeepers during his career.

This - plus the greatest coaches in the world tend to have been average players in their sport. Teaching is very much a different skill set from playing.

Guys like Alex Ferguson and Jim McLean didn't have stellar playing careers. And if you look to other sports, Butch Harmon managed one tour win before he became Tiger Woods' coach and Bill Belichick never played professionally before he started coaching American Football.

3 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Shit ie not very good are you seriously putting forward the argument that Samson was a good keeper, he was honking ,:nod:

Logic suggests you don't play as many top flight games as Samson did if you are honking. It's not like there is a shortage of honk-free keepers out there. 

3 hours ago, weeyin said:

Logic suggests you don't play as many top flight games as Samson did if you are honking. It's not like there is a shortage of honk-free keepers out there. 

You are correct there is no shortage of good goal keepers out there but most if not all are beyond the budgets of all but a few Scottish clubs.

The fact Samson played lots of top flight games is no indication of his ability, he was pish, all it proves is that the club's he played with could not afford a decent keeper,  

7 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

You are correct there is no shortage of good goal keepers out there but most if not all are beyond the budgets of all but a few Scottish clubs.

The fact Samson played lots of top flight games is no indication of his ability, he was pish, all it proves is that the club's he played with could not afford a decent keeper,  

Not exactly, but your opinion that he was "shite" is based solely on your opinion, the clubs he played for and their results suggest he was capable and in the upper 50% of all goalkeepers playing  league football in Scotland at the time. 

31 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

What an argument this is...was/is Samson pish? For us, I would say most definitely...in fact ask anyone thats not associated with St Mirren and you're likely to get the same answer. 

Is he a better goalkeeper than me? Aye...so I suppose you're right, he's better in goals than most folk

I had a mate who was captain of the same Kilmarnock youth team as Samson and he continually said that he must have the best agent in the world to keep getting pro contracts as he didn’t rate him at all. 

My personal opinion is that I’ve never seen a keeper get beat from distance quite as often as Samson does. There are very few parts of his game that I think he is good at; so all in all, I think he is pretty pish.

11 hours ago, Brazilian said:

An web article on the playing career of Hughie Ferguson , 284 league goals in 288? games for Motherwell FC.

http://readtheleague.com/the-big-feature/from-history-to-tragedy

Must have been quite the player to watch , such a tragic end.

Possibly our greatest ever player? He'd make my all time top starting 11.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Brazilian said:

An web article on the playing career of Hughie Ferguson , 284 league goals in 288? games for Motherwell FC.

http://readtheleague.com/the-big-feature/from-history-to-tragedy

Must have been quite the player to watch , such a tragic end.

Astonishing that Hugh was never selected for Scotland when you read his goal statistics. Bit of a theme with gifted MFC players (little national recognition)  but this man was a goal machine and proved himself in both countries.

A sad story but a fine gentleman.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hughie Ferguson would be a great nomination for The Scottish Football Hall of Fame . Although individuals can make a nomination,  I wonder if that's something The Well Society could take on board as it might carry a bit more weight coming from such a high profile body.

Ferguson certainly merits a place when you consider the likes of Frank McLintock was entered some time ago. Although McLintock had a good career at Arsenal, I don't think he ever played at a senior level in Scotland and he only ever received a handful of caps. Tommy  Docherty is another inductee with little playing time in Scotland and limited success on the field or as a Manager. 

Sailor Hunter is also mentioned in the article about Ferguson and his record of managing Motherwell for 35 years could also merit his inclusion.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Clackscat said:

Craig Clay and Dean Brill in Leyton Orient team who won 2-0 at Wrexham to go top of National League. Crowd of 6400 !!!

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

I went to see them a couple of months ago. Dean Brill spent all game going ballistic at his defenders, and Clay spent all game watching the ball get lumped over his head. The quality of football was utter shite.

On 11/22/2018 at 6:32 PM, dennyc said:

Hughie Ferguson would be a great nomination for The Scottish Football Hall of Fame . Although individuals can make a nomination,  I wonder if that's something The Well Society could take on board as it might carry a bit more weight coming from such a high profile body.

Ferguson certainly merits a place when you consider the likes of Frank McLintock was entered some time ago. Although McLintock had a good career at Arsenal, I don't think he ever played at a senior level in Scotland and he only ever received a handful of caps. Tommy  Docherty is another inductee with little playing time in Scotland and limited success on the field or as a Manager. 

Sailor Hunter is also mentioned in the article about Ferguson and his record of managing Motherwell for 35 years could also merit his inclusion.

Good shout on both counts. 

I went to see them a couple of months ago. Dean Brill spent all game going ballistic at his defenders, and Clay spent all game watching the ball get lumped over his head. The quality of football was utter shite.
Yeah my brother in law is an Orient season tkt holder and he shares your opinion. Not long ago they were at the top of League 1.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, GazzyB said:

That level really is bollocks. Was at Guiseley v Maidstone towards the end of last season. The standard was worse than I expected. Not one of the players on the pitch would get a sniff of a game at Scottish League 1 level. 

10 minutes ago, Clackscat said:

Yeah my brother in law is an Orient season tkt holder and he shares your opinion. Not long ago they were at the top of League 1.

Orient were my local team in the early eighties, in the old Division 3. Even then, the quality was nothing to write home about,  although my fondest memories of those times include a 4-2 victory over Millwall in some Mickey Mouse cup or other, and what to this day I still rank as the best burgers served at any ground I've ever been to anywhere in the world.