Loan Signings

daver

It's always quiet on here during international breaks and the recent loan signing of Belic got me wondering about our success rate with loan signings. We've had loan signings for almost every position and with varying degrees of success ranging from Lukas Jutkiewicz to Jake Taylor.

We've gone on to sign some loan signings permanently and others have been sent back as soon as possible.

I'm not really looking to go into whether we should or shouldn't have loan signings (that's been done to death elsewhere) but what are your stand-out loan signings for good or bad reasons?

I think loans are good if we are short in a position and dont have much time to fill so getting someone in for 6 months or so can be helpful or indeed if you have a lot of injuries.

I also prefer loan deals that arent from Scotland as i feel your not developing someone who will go back to a club and play against us. Overall i can see the merits of the loan system.

Was curcic a loan?

Lewis Grabban was one that did nothing for us then had a career, then Jamie mcclen? Was one from Newcastle that was poor. Or am I imagining him?

Kevin McBride was a loan from Celtic who was good in his loan spell but kind of went backwards once he signed.

Callum Elliot was probably the worst loan in our history.

Jutkiewicz was a phenomenal loan signing and not just for that goal. Ruddy was excellent, possibly 2nd only to a Randolph in the "best ever Motherwell goalie" chart.

John Spencer in his loan spell was possibly one of the best players I've ever seen in a Motherwell shirt.

Michael McGlinchy in Craig Browns reign wasn't great however!

Neil Tarrant was the first loan signing that I can remember and there really is no other reason to remember him by.

I can mind being excited by this signing. Sure he done well against us in the cup with Ayr (Craig Nelson game iirc).

Steven Ferguson is one that springs to mind. Blistering pace but struggled to find the net, scored in the 6-1 Hearts game mind you.

Tarrant tore us apart in a cup game for Ayr, which pretty much led to his move to villa which didn't go well. I thought he was a great signing until he stepped on the park and realized he wasn't playing against us anymore.

Nope. Just checked he was on loan at Ayr from villa after scoring a load of goals for Ross county.

As good as they were, neither Ruddy nor Randolph would qualify for "best ever Motherwell goalie" chart even in my lifetime.

Agreed, Keith McRae, Stuart Rennie, John Gardner (only joking about that one)

I think we can assume Milo is but a callow youth

I remember Tarrant being the most hyped player in Scottish football at the time.

At the time he was playing at Ross County one of my colleague's dad was majorly involved there. When Villa came in for a bid they couldn't believe it. It was enough money to completely redevelop the club.

Sadly, he did slide into footballing obscurity pretty quickly after a brief loan with us.

Agreed, Keith McRae, Stuart Rennie, John Gardner (only joking about that one)

I think we can assume Milo is but a callow youth

Ha ha! Not at all. Keith McRae was before my time but I remember John Gardiner making a mistake that put us out the cup in a cup replay v Hearts? I was on the terracing in front of the main stand when they still sold tickets for there.