Reserves/Under 20's/Youths

middleeastdave

Are you watching Mr Mackay? Any plans to reduce our Academy status bin them now!

This may not be the popular view, but if we miss out on elite status we only have ourselves to blame. Up until very recently our youth setup had been neglected for years and the likes of our rivals for elite status Hamilton have invested significantly more resources in delivering their youth programme. Whether that relates to better results remains to be seen. It would be naive to ignore the part the sales of McCarthy MacArthur and Easton had in their investment however.

The point is that the elite status idea is nonsense and misses the point when it comes to fixing our game.

I think the elite status is fine, it is the criteria for becoming it that is the problem. I actually think it is quite a good idea to a point as we could be talking about persuading families with limited knowledge about football about where to place their kids. However rather than rather arbitrarily decide eight is the magic number, the SFA should develop a criteria about what makes an elite youth set up. It then becomes up to the clubs whether or not they go for it or not.

In an age where just about every Scottish club has a strategy of develop young players, sell them on at a profit, reinvest in youth team and start again to differentiate these teams based on nothing other than fanbase and geography is completely unfair to all concerned and has the potential to strangle the growth of the clubs that miss out. Hamilton and Motherwell are one point apart in the league just now but if Hamilton get the status you could foresee in ten years from now that they'll swallow up the potential best talent and then thrive while we'll flounder. I wouldn't want us to get it at their expense either as the same impact of destroying competition will remain.

• Like 3

Well said Tweed agree with everything you say when all seater stadiums were brought in everybody knew criteria to get into top league and if u could not make that criteria you never got in .IMO youth football should be the same make rules that teams need to adhere to if they can they get awarded elite status if they can't they don't .That would mean teams know what they have to do instead of cherry picking. How many old firm players have made breakthrough in last few years from their academies not many and even Accies are full of Johny foreigners these days so for they 3 to get elite status over us would be outrageous .For me you need to prove the academy will bring players on who will get 1st team opportunities as if this does not happen Scottish football will remain where we are now which is rock bottom.

I think the elite status is fine, it is the criteria for becoming it that is the problem. I actually think it is quite a good idea to a point as we could be talking about persuading families with limited knowledge about football about where to place their kids. However rather than rather arbitrarily decide eight is the magic number, the SFA should develop a criteria about what makes an elite youth set up. It then becomes up to the clubs whether or not they go for it or not.

In an age where just about every Scottish club has a strategy of develop young players, sell them on at a profit, reinvest in youth team and start again to differentiate these teams based on nothing other than fanbase and geography is completely unfair to all concerned and has the potential to strangle the growth of the clubs that miss out. Hamilton and Motherwell are one point apart in the league just now but if Hamilton get the status you could foresee in ten years from now that they'll swallow up the potential best talent and then thrive while we'll flounder. I wouldn't want us to get it at their expense either as the same impact of destroying competition will remain.

Good post. Healthy competition is fine in my book and parents can decide where to send their mini Messis. Hopefully it would encourage clubs of all sizes to upgrade their facilities and generally improve the standard of youth coaching.

The problem is however that cash may be limited and the more that goes to smaller clubs the less can go to bigger clubs. I agree change is due but this is entirely the wrong way to go about it. The way things have been organised so far however has/will led to unhealthy competition. There is a very real danger that the 8 potentially elite clubs, in addition to upgrading their own facilities, will seek to actively undermine competing clubs' claims. Now thats unhealthy. The members of the existing committee will possibly change the goalposts if a competing club is in danger of meeting all the necessary criteria for entry to the top 8. Our club has been made aware of that possibility. Instead the committee, whatever its called, should have been selected from independent members with no vested interests.

I have little doubt that if this flawed scheme goes ahead as is, there could well be a legal challenge from a number of clubs left out in the cold.

There will be limited finances available for any proposals so the clubs expecting to be involved will resist any attempt to dilute their expected cash by making the scheme available to all to try to come up to the required standards.

As always it will be a case of clubs looking out for their own interests rather than looking at the desired outcome (that could be argued both ways).

• Like 1

I think you are agreeing with me then. The elite 8 notion is nonsense.

The quality of coaching and the development of young players should be the focus, not some mini-group of teams selected by representatives with a strong self interest.

And you know Rangers and Celtic are going to be the big two in the that small group despite the fact both of those clubs are typically where young players' careers go to die.

• Like 1

Does a change not need to be agreed by majority of clubs just like everything else if so do not see how majority would vote for this .

I'd imagine so yes. No doubt there'd be the usual arm twisting and horse trading behind closed doors though. Club A "If you vote for this then we'll agree to change X or we'll give you Y".

'Project Brave' is as big a threat to the future of Motherwell FC as anything else at it stands and that's what we get from an organisation that's supposed to promote the game in Scotland.

The whole notion of it is absolute arrant nonsense from start to finish, just what you'd expect from the SFA and the other decision makers in Scottish footballer. It should be thrown in the trash now and I think fans should be thinking about taking the same action against the SFA as they did during the Rangers farago.

The whole 'elite academy' idea has been proven time and time again to be a complete fraud, a total waste of time and produces no more, and often far less, good young players than traditional methods. Yet the SFA wants to undermine the whole financial model every Scottish club should be aspiring to over some pie in the sky whimsy that these proposals are going to turn around Scottish football. Talk about self important delusion.

Even if we were included in the elite 8 it would be utterly and comprehensively wrong.

Bin it now. The people that run our game should be fired out the door forthwith and their dunces caps thrown right out after them!

• Like 2

there was a few years there where it looked like we were just going through the motions at youth level but since craggs has come in things have drastically improved,its exciting times for us at youth level,fingers crossed we can keep it going.im always impressed with craggs when he speaks after games,the more i hear from him its becoming clear that he will most likely be odds on too replace mcghee when the time comes.

• Like 1