Reserves/Under 20's/Youths

middleeastdave

Crags and Steven McManus deserve great credit for putting a TEAM on the park who are extremely well organised, know what they are doing and more importantly can play some great football. There were 11 heroes on the park today but special mention to Livingston, Hastie, Turnbull and Scott.

People saying we made a mistake by sending young Hastie out on loan surely saw today that he has progressed and gained so much in confidence that I was quite surprised the Sligo right back came out for the second half given the roasting he took in the first 45 minutes. Terrific performance by the young dossers. Roll on the quarter final.

What a pleasure to watch football bring played on the grassy not the goofball of the 1st team. The young lads were a treat to watch. I hope our manager and players were  there to watch and maybe they would learn. Congratulations to Craigan and his team. Roll on the quarter finals. Note I overheard many at the game today voice the same sentiments.

Casagolda totally disagree with your Hastie statement as was great idea to sent him out on loan as came on leaps and bounds since doing so . This is why we have development loans and if he comes back to us a much better player it has worked . Thought boys were great today and the 2nd goal was superb might have another Kipre signing there if he carry’s on like that . 

29 minutes ago, wellowell said:

Casagolda totally disagree with your Hastie statement as was great idea to sent him out on loan as came on leaps and bounds since doing so . This is why we have development loans and if he comes back to us a much better player it has worked . Thought boys were great today and the 2nd goal was superb might have another Kipre signing there if he carry’s on like that . 

Except we have absolutely no one like Hastie in the current squad. He was good enough last season to get time in the first team.

A good manager would be making sure these players get to develop here but instead we are signing sammon, rodriguez, grimshaw, donnelly to fill out a bench instead.

• Like 3

Genuinely; Turnbull, Livingstone and Maguire should be in our first team starting XI or thereabouts.  The signings in the summer of Sammon, Donnelly, ATS and even Gorrin seem all the more mental when you have players in the youth ranks who are visibly and significantly better footballers. 

Brown, Watson and Mbulu look like very decent prospects for us.

Scott is a significantly better forward than Sammon, with his touch being better than Bowman's.  

Hastie is going to be a terrific player for Motherwell.

The most entertained I've been by football team at Fir Park this season.  Football played the right way, the ball sprayed around by a very comfortable looking team of accomplished footballers.  

Final word on the ref today;  He didn't half let some wild tackles go.

• Like 3

I don't think he was good enough last season  in the few games I saw him but on todays performance  he has come  on by leaps and bounds and if he keeps progressing like that no matter where he is playing at present  we will have a potential match winner in the future.

also agree about Mbulu ??  He looks very similar to Cedric when he came into the side at first.  Looks athletic, still has a lot to learn and is a confident on the ball ( sometimes too confident) and is always looking to play the ball out of defence. We might just have unearthed another winner here.

14 minutes ago, Burn_Broomfield said:

The most entertained I've been by football team at Fir Park this season.  Football played the right way, the ball sprayed around by a very comfortable looking team of accomplished footballers.  

Final word on the ref today;  He didn't half let some wild tackles go.

Perhaps we can finally ditch the whole 'budget' excuse for playing atrocious football.  Doesn't cost a penny to pass a ball as our youth team proved today.

Thought we got a bit lucky on the tackle that the Sligo player was stretchered off after.  Don't think there was malice in it but the boy (I've forgotten who it actually was that made the tackle) went in studs up.

At least a yellow but the ref let it go.

26 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Except we have absolutely no one like Hastie in the current squad. He was good enough last season to get time in the first team.

A good manager would be making sure these players get to develop here but instead we are signing sammon, rodriguez, grimshaw, donnelly to fill out a bench instead.

I agree entirely with your statement Casagolda, I have been campaigning for most of this season saying we need to get some of our reserves involved with the first and I mean playing as it's only SR thinks he has brought in better players in the summer than in the reserves, it baffles me why Donnelly, Sinclair will get games before Livingstone, I don't care it would be a big step up from the reserves to first team....or is it!!

Everyone around us also commented it was probably the best game of football seen at Fir Park for a while as they did try and play football and I thought every player played their part in the TEAM and have to say Christian Mbulu improves immensely in every game he plays.

I take it SR attended the game today, so maybe (fingers crossed) that he might be impressed enough to give one of them a start, I am not asking to drop the first team for our reserves, but surely one of them will break into the first team....if they get a chance

Lastly Stephen Craigan no wonder you were proud of the team today, they certainly did the supporters very proud, well done

Gutted I couldn’t go today and see a Motherwell team play proper football. Our style of play has been excellent since Craigan took charge and we clearly have some real talent that should be closer to the first team. We’ve been talking about Hastie, Livingstone and Turnbull for years now, give them a chance. 

Wonder if today puts Robinson under a wee bit more pressure. 

Perhaps we can finally ditch the whole 'budget' excuse for playing atrocious football.  Doesn't cost a penny to pass a ball as our youth team proved today.
Thought we got a bit lucky on the tackle that the Sligo player was stretchered off after.  Don't think there was malice in it but the boy (I've forgotten who it actually was that made the tackle) went in studs up.
At least a yellow but the ref let it go.
Was Livingstone made the tackle, I thought he was studs up as well but the ref gave us the foul, Sligo didn't complain and when Livingstone went over to the guy on the stretcher there seemed no ill feeling.. I thought Livingstone was superb today as was Hastie and Maguire. Mbulu took his goal well, dominated in the air and had a few terrific blocks, but got turned twice and was sloppy in possession a few times, but potential is there. No failures and as others have said a joy to watch.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Great game, thoroughly enjoyed it, almost made me wonder if I would enjoy Championship football next year, as Turnbull is the class act I will be harshest on him and say occasionally he dallied on the ball too long when he could have made a pass, but overall there were no failures.  Double header for me as I will take in the women's team tomorrow at Forthbank, it's the Scottish Cup semi final and we have a chance of winning this game.

Refreshing to say the least - well drilled and all players looked comfortable, not only in possession but in their respective postions. No one shoe-horned into an unfamiliar position. Can't disagree with most of the comments regarding the players who stood out, but I also thought our No14 (Akeal Rehman) had a very assured game. Quick feet, skilful, strong when he needed to be and a nice crisp passer of the ball.

All in a very enjoyable afternoon. - Well done Stephen and Stephen.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, because I'm delighted we won and the style we used to win.

Don't forget, however, that guys like Dom Thomas, Bob McHugh and Craig Moore were stars at this level but never quite managed the step.

So while I agree we should be giving a few of these guys their chance, it's no guarantee they are the next big thing. 

Great result. Well done to all involved.

Can anyone tell me who the two over age players were? And am I right in thinking that Campbell, Cadden and Semele could all come into the squad for the quarter final? Not necessarily advocating this though. The players who have got us this far probably deserve their chance to see how far they can get us in this competition.

8 hours ago, Wellfan1984 said:

Yes, that's exactly what I'm getting at.  Or it could be that the fact we don't loan out all our most promising youngsters.  Which one do you think it is? 

Still not sure what point you are trying to make re Morrison, players get loaned out 1. To develop them , get game time and come back a better player 2. Because they are on the fringes of the team, not seen as likely to step up and basically surplus to requirements, loan them out and run down their contract at minimal cost to the club .

I suspect Morrison is option 2 so simple question if SR called him back and put him straight into the 1st team as you suggest, would he be better than Carson or Gillespie?

7 hours ago, The African said:

Can anyone tell me who the two over age players were? And am I right in thinking that Campbell, Cadden and Semele could all come into the squad for the quarter final? Not necessarily advocating this though. The players who have got us this far probably deserve their chance to see how far they can get us in this competition.

The only over age player was Mbulu.

I wouldn't change the squad now.

On 10/13/2018 at 11:25 PM, The African said:

who is semele?

4 minutes ago, steelboy said:

He was on the bench on Saturday anyway despite being in Marbella with Scotland on the Friday night.

Sammon and Newell playing for the reserves today. James Scott, Aygeman and Semple kicking their heels on the bench. Cracking youth development.

Semple is young even for an U20s player, no need to overplay him; especially in the middle of international duty.

One post, people are complaining about Cadden and Campbell having to play for the U21s when they need rested, and the next they are complaing we aren't playing 17 year olds against senior pros just after an international game.

As for today's game - playing senior pros who need game time was one of the reasons it was reinstated. Not saying I completely agree with the notion, but this is why the club's wanted it back.

Robinson obviously hopes Newell can play himself back into contention, so picking a 21 year old to start doesn't seem outrageous.

• Like 1