Reserves/Under 20's/Youths

middleeastdave

The media team have rightly received great credit in recent years but fan engagement doesn’t appear to be at the centre of the current model.

I appreciate I’ll be in the minority but I’ve enjoyed watching the coverage of the u20s since Erwin and Moore were banging them in. Highlights supplemented with interviews from JJ and Craigan offered an insight into the progress of likely prospects waiting to come through. Such was the engagement, it prompted me to head along to the odd game if it fell on a day off.

Erwin, Moore, Cadden, Thomas, Campbell and Turnbull were much talked about before breaking into the 1st team. Now beyond Semple (primarily due to the hype at u16 level) and possibly Cornelius through word of mouth, I’m very much in the dark about who’s next in line to make an impression in the first team. 

The greatest insight on youth development this year was courtesy of the mfc podcast interview with Mo Ross. 

• Like 7

Yeah, I mostly used it for the U20s coverage which was excellent. Also use it for match updates as 90% of the time I'm at work. The decline in quality has gone downhill notably this year. Hardly hear a peep out of Mo Ross in contrast to Craigan who would get asked two questions and rattle on for 20 minutes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ross said:

Surely Dean Cornelius is on the brink of the first team.2 goals 2 assists in 3 reserve games

Unlikely. We've just signed a midfielder ensuring that Semple and Maguire will barely see any game time. Other than Campbell and Scott, it would appear that Robinson doesn't think any of our young players are anywhere near ready...

1 hour ago, Ross said:

Surely Dean Cornelius is on the brink of the first team.2 goals 2 assists in 3 reserve games

Deano is doing well by all accounts and if he maintains this progress he is due some gametime in the first team perhaps from the subs bench later in the season.   Things can change quickly in football and we need to keep the conveyor belt going.  Good to see our young lads develop and do well for themselves. 

11 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Deano is doing well by all accounts and if he maintains this progress he is due some gametime in the first team perhaps from the subs bench later in the season.   Things can change quickly in football and we need to keep the conveyor belt going.  Good to see our young lads develop and do well for themselves. 

He is the one who catches my eye any time I watch the reserves and was the standout for me on Monday but not quite ready for 1st team action  IMO

Big Mo Hussain also worth watching. Put on a bit of bulk since last season and looks like he might kick on.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Well Well said:

Wee bit surprised Jamie Semple never got a call for the latest Scotland U19 or U21 squads. I think he deserved it. I suppose we can't have all our cracking young players filling the ranks of the National teams :D

Looking at the u19 squad it seemed to be full of English based guys so the SFA might just be trying to widen the player pool.

Turnbull was in and out the u19 team so I don't think it means much. It's hard to judge who should be in it when all the players are playing youth or reserve football.

The u21 squad is all almost all players making first team squads on a regular basis.

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, supermarv said:

Reserves got beat on pens today against Celtic with another young side again. Noticed an unusual name “Hutchison” any ideas who he is. Another goal for MacIver wouldn’t be surprised to see him feature for us near the end of the season.

I think I read somewhere that it is Don Hutchison's son, Max?  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I dont pretend Dunne is the worlds greatest defender or that he would walk back into the team, but having him available again will be helpful with the run of games we have coming up. His pace would also let us press a little bit higher up the park.if it were needed.

On 8/20/2019 at 10:48 AM, Lobey_Dosser said:

The media team have rightly received great credit in recent years but fan engagement doesn’t appear to be at the centre of the current model.

I appreciate I’ll be in the minority but I’ve enjoyed watching the coverage of the u20s since Erwin and Moore were banging them in. Highlights supplemented with interviews from JJ and Craigan offered an insight into the progress of likely prospects waiting to come through. Such was the engagement, it prompted me to head along to the odd game if it fell on a day off.

Erwin, Moore, Cadden, Thomas, Campbell and Turnbull were much talked about before breaking into the 1st team. Now beyond Semple (primarily due to the hype at u16 level) and possibly Cornelius through word of mouth, I’m very much in the dark about who’s next in line to make an impression in the first team. 

The greatest insight on youth development this year was courtesy of the mfc podcast interview with Mo Ross. 

There is literally nothing about the 'reserves' in the match programme any more.  Didn't used to be the case, when they covered it thoroughly with match reports, stats and line ups.

Poor really.  As I've said over and over, youth development needs to be a completely integral part of our club strategy.

• Like 2