Reserves/Under 20's/Youths

middleeastdave

1 hour ago, siebsbarmyarmy said:

Sad times when you look at the Colt team playing tonight and you would rather watch that than the first team. 

Hopefully the lads do well. 

I’ve felt like that for about 5 years now. It gets depressing though when you know only exceptional talents will get a sniff of first team action. 

I've said this before but we have good service from boys from our youth system who weren't able to establish themselves at our level but made good and cheap contributions.

Shaun Fagan, Marc Fitzpatrick, Ross Forbes, Darren Smith, Jonny Page, Willie Kinniburgh, ZFA, Adam Cummins  and Stuart Carswell all have highlights with us that a fair chunk of our signings couldn't match. Add in that bringing through youth is good for the atmosphere at the club and means more money for quality starters and it should be mandatory for every manager.

• Like 1

Strange game in many ways, Shire made a game of it 2nd half until 2 injuries after all subs on reduced them to 9 men.

Mbulu strolled through game, looked confortable on the ball, passed well, and showed good anticipation to stop a goal when a long ball caught Ferguson in no mans land.

On tonights showing (and it IS only 1 game) I don't think Scott and Livingstone are near the first team, Turnbull, Mbulu, Hastie, Watson and Maguire look to be ahead of them.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

It was good victory tonight but the scoreline  flattered us a bit against a pretty decent East Stirling side, who fortunately for us didn't start playing until the second half, even with 10 or was it 9 men (East Stirling had committed 3 substitutes when they got more injuries, but they still plugged away

I thought Turnbill, McGuire, Hastie, Ferguson, Watson had decent games, our new guy Mbulu  it was difficult to say too much as it was his first game and hopefully he will improve with every game as most of them should/hopefully.

16 hours ago, steelboy said:

I've said this before but we have good service from boys from our youth system who weren't able to establish themselves at our level but made good and cheap contributions.

Shaun Fagan, Marc Fitzpatrick, Ross Forbes, Darren Smith, Jonny Page, Willie Kinniburgh, ZFA, Adam Cummins  and Stuart Carswell all have highlights with us that a fair chunk of our signings couldn't match. Add in that bringing through youth is good for the atmosphere at the club and means more money for quality starters and it should be mandatory for every manager.

Absolutely.  When you've just sold McFadden and Pearson for example there is a raised expectation level that those who immediately follow will be both equally as good and generate similar financial returns. Of course that is unlikely to happen but you're spot on that there is much to be said for the "middle-of-road" player who comes through the ranks and gives you a few years service and fifty/seventy-five/ a hundred plus appearances before someone better comes along or they move on.  Home grown players of a decent standard don't just bring a financial benefit.

• Like 1

Maguire and Turnbull have already shown they are good enough at this level and will be disappointed at some of the signings we have made which looks like limiting their chances. Not sure how good young Scott is. I would have been happy to see him as 4th choice behind Main Bowman and Johnson. The signing of Sammon seemed unecessary at the time. However, with Bowmans injury and Mains poor form so far, it might not prove to be so.

Hopefully the likes of Hastie and McLean will benefit from their loan spells and come back equipped to push for a first team place and encourage this years crop to do the same

We need the pathway to be successful to attract the best young local talent away from the bigger, richer clubs. Developing our own is far more satisfying than filling our squad with players from the english lower leagues, even if we do unearth the odd gem here and there.

8 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Final score 2-0.  Maybe being pedantic but was this not our reserves playing today, although it was a young team.  Do we still have an under 20s side? 

Apparently not. The new system means U18 us the oldest age group before "reserves", I believe.

The reserve teams were implemented this year to appease the clubs who complained they either couldn't afford an U20s team and/or the teams who complained they had nowhere meaningful for their fringe squad players to get a game.