Reserves/Under 20's/Youths

middleeastdave

7 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Final score 2-0.  Maybe being pedantic but was this not our reserves playing today, although it was a young team.  Do we still have an under 20s side? 

No idea what they are called this season Dave, there seems to be a variety of terms used, colts, u20's,  u23's, development league team, I just call them the reserves or 2nd team its easier.

It's officially the Reserve League this season, replacing the Development League. There's a League 1 and League 2.

Standings and fixtures on the SPFL web site, but not many other details.

EDIT:  a few details from the BBC

The SPFL steering group is "of the view that it would benefit the development of young players if they were playing alongside more experienced players on a more regular basis".

Other than a minimum age of 16, no age restrictions will apply to the leagues.

The SPFL says the changes "complement recent amendments to loan regulations which provide, generally, that any player loaned out by an SPFL club is eligible to return and play in non-first team football for the lending club". 

The top tier of the new reserve league features 18 clubs, who will play each other once in a 17-match season, with fixture generally being played on Monday afternoons.

The second-tier Reserve League 2 comprises nine clubs, who will play each other once at home and once away for a total of 16 matches across the season. These fixtures will take place on midweek evenings.

The first division reserve league is due to begin on 20 August, with the second tier league kicking off the following midweek.

The SPFL will also introduce divisional Reserve League Cups "to provide additional games during the season". It says the format will follow the Scottish League Cup, whereby any drawn group matches will proceed to penalties with an additional bonus point available.

No Mbulu or Ferguson in today's team and, as Steelboy has pointed out in another thread, no Maguire or Turnbull either.  1-1 at Kelty at HT.  Jordan Armstrong  equalised after the Pars  opened the scoring.  Our old pal, Kallum Higginbotham is playing. 

Went along to the reserve game today, although we did have a few of our first team pool players playing it was still a good performance by the steel men  with no real bad performers but have to say that there was some good performances from Jason Kronos, Mbulu ( who improves every game he plays) Adam Livingstone, Gorrin, but IMO David Turnball and Barry Mcguire were the stand outs and must be on the verge of getting back on to first team duties' so at least we do have some players on the verge of first team football, I am also impressed with Alfie whenever he comes on.

1 hour ago, middleeastdave said:

Went along to the reserve game today, although we did have a few of our first team pool players playing it was still a good performance by the steel men  with no real bad performers but have to say that there was some good performances from Jason Kronos, Mbulu ( who improves every game he plays) Adam Livingstone, Gorrin, but IMO David Turnball and Barry Mcguire were the stand outs and must be on the verge of getting back on to first team duties' so at least we do have some players on the verge of first team football, I am also impressed with Alfie whenever he comes on.

Good to hear. Let's hope that a fair number of them can make the step up and go on to have worthwhile senior careers. It would be the final sign that we, as a club, are doing something right. I am generally pretty impressed with what Craigan and Co. have achieved over the past couple of seasons. A few more showing that they can perform at first team level would be icing on the cake.

Agreed in particular Maguire in defensive midfield role was outstanding, liked the look of Krones also. Good shift from Grimmy at rwb, Mbulu impressive, no failures, really enjoyed the game.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

The reserves / kids are looking like a really good group. Was a little concerned with Craggs saying Turnbull had to work more on the defensive/tracking back side of his game. The kid looks the real deal and offers a lot going forward, I just hope we dont shackle him too much.

Is Livingstone far away? He looks like the perfect player to solve our left wing back woes!

30 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Have we signed this Akeal Rehman character or is he a trialist for the Colts tonight?

19yo Ex Wolves Midfielder? No sign of Mbulu tonight, he injured?

Winning one nil anyway. Kyle McDonald.

Reserve team stalwart George Newell is the only overage player I can see even though you are allowed two.