Reserves/Under 20's/Youths

middleeastdave

I suspect few would mind if we introduced an actual Colt system - although financially it might hit the bottom line of teams in the lower leagues.

The ONLY time it's mentioned in Scotland is in the same breath as our Glasgow friends moving to  different league.

If we had 12 or more new teams to add to the lower leagues, that would add to the fixture congestion too. Plus the teams with a legitimate claim to be added to the senior leagues might be a little upset that St. Mirren U20s take precedence.

The biggest issue, though, is that our administrators (and let's be honest, many clubs) have little interest in developing our game and even less ability in implementing any development plans. 

Will be interesting to see how the standards of our U20s set-up fair against an Irish Premier side with fairly recent European experience. 

Based purely on the players in their squad that I know about - Rhys McCabe, Caolan McAteer, Adam Morgan - you are maybe looking at a bottom half of the Championship level for Sligo.

Hopefully a few of our guys can use this as a chance to advance their claim on a first team place.

12 minutes ago, Yoshi-1991 said:

What's the rules regarding the Colts? Is there an age restriction, amount of first team appearances restriction? Basically, what's stopping us flinging out the first team and calling it Colts? 

I think it's u21 with two overage players allowed.

I expect we will see Mbulu and possibly Gillespie as the two overage players.

6 hours ago, Yoshi-1991 said:

What's the rules regarding the Colts? Is there an age restriction, amount of first team appearances restriction? Basically, what's stopping us flinging out the first team and calling it Colts? 

There is a quality threshold 

6 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Will be interesting to see how the standards of our U20s set-up fair against an Irish Premier side with fairly recent European experience. 

Based purely on the players in their squad that I know about - Rhys McCabe, Caolan McAteer, Adam Morgan - you are maybe looking at a bottom half of the Championship level for Sligo.

Hopefully a few of our guys can use this as a chance to advance their claim on a first team place.

Could be good practice for next season?

Seriously though, good luck to our youngsters. Hopefully a decent crowd and they put in a good performance. The way our first team are going, who knows where a good individual showing might lead to.

7 hours ago, Wellfan1984 said:

You saying we haven't had one decent showing from a single youth players in years?  Harsh.  

Think you've got the wrong end of the stick ,any promising young player seems to get sent out on loan and not given a chance in the first eleven 

11 hours ago, Yodo said:

Think you've got the wrong end of the stick ,any promising young player seems to get sent out on loan and not given a chance in the first eleven 

I haven't.  

No they don't.  But you're right it's shocking that PJ Morrison is stuck at Albion Rovers and not been given a chance because of Carson and Gillespie.  :huh:

Also you telling me the likes of Turnbull isn't a promising youngster, and Campbell wasn't/isn't either...

Cadden got a run in the team after we got gubbed 6-1 by Hearts. Campbell got a run in the team after getting gubbed by St Johnstone and being booed off at half time at home to Ross County. Turnbull seems to be in the same boat as Maclean last season in that he'll get subbed on only if we are losing and devoid of ideas.

It's no way to run a youth set up.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2018 at 2:01 PM, wunderwell said:

Because the under 20s know how to win more.

Against teams of similar ages and experience they certainly do. Their performance against a more experienced Rangers Reserves (a 6 - 2 loss) showed the extent of the gap that needs to be bridged to step up.

7 hours ago, Wellfan1984 said:

I haven't.  

No they don't.  But you're right it's shocking that PJ Morrison is stuck at Albion Rovers and not been given a chance because of Carson and Gillespie.  :huh:

Also you telling me the likes of Turnbull isn't a promising youngster, and Campbell wasn't/isn't either...

So you think Morrison, playing in a team  currently 42nd out of 42 teams in Scotland with the worst goal difference in their league is a better option than Carson and Gillespie, okay then .

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

So you think Morrison, playing in a team  currently 42nd out of 42 teams in Scotland with the worst goal difference in their league is a better option than Carson and Gillespie, okay then .

Yes, that's exactly what I'm getting at.  Or it could be that the fact we don't loan out all our most promising youngsters.  Which one do you think it is? 

Really enjoyed that today.

Don't see the U20s a whole lot but since Craigan took over I've always been very impressed when I have seen them and today was no different.

It's a shame more weren't at the match (att 950 ) to see how the game should be played.   Excellent stuff, every player composed on the ball, ball on the grass, good movement on and off the ball.  We maybe lack a real goal poacher, although James Scott is a hard worker and good team player, but other than that I thought we were very good.

When you go to see U20s football you are maybe expecting to see perhaps 2, 3, maybe 4 players who could potentially step up but I thought every outfield player today showed something.  Having said that David Turnbull was the best player on the park.

Perhaps worth pointing out that even though it was a strong performance across the team I thought Adam Livingstone did very well at left back.

I thought Livingstone put his hand up for the first team. Maguire and Hastie played very well as well. As Ya Beezer says every single player showed something which was impressive.

Hopefully we can get another home draw and get a bigger crowd in. Last week's dross and the weather probably kept a lot of fans away.

Great performance from the boys. Livingston was MotM for me. Looked solid and composed. Got forward easily too.

There were a number of great performances in the side. Livingston, Hastie, Turnbull, Brown, Maguire all looked promising and should be pushing for first team places.

Sending Hastie out on loan looks even more foolish now.