Scottish Premiership Partick Thistle V Motherwell Sat 24 Sep 15:00

Yabba's Turd

Pretty dreadful for the most part.

Slack passes and a lack of urgency and bite.

Partick weren't any great shakes, but had a number of chances.

Hammell hung Samson out to dry with the goal, nothing he could have done. Not passing the ball across your own 18 yd line is basic schoolboy stuff.

A lot more creative when Faddy and latterly Ainsworth came on.

Disallowed goal looked legit to me, but will happily take the point

Most media reports suggesting a horrendous passbook from Hammell. Should Samson have done better..?

Hammel made a baws of it no blame on keeper

Cheers, just wondered as a post said "get Samson tae fuck". Sounded like he was to blame.

Hurry back Joe Chalmers..?

I was at the opposite end of the ground so looked to me like a fuck up by Samson. He ended up having a decent game although I wish he'd fucking catch the ball instead of parrying it all the time.

Pretty dreadful for the most part.

Slack passes and a lack of urgency and bite.

Partick weren't any great shakes, but had a number of chances.

Hammell hung Samson out to dry with the goal, nothing he could have done. Not passing the ball across your own 18 yd line is basic schoolboy stuff.

A lot more creative when Faddy and latterly Ainsworth came on.

Disallowed goal looked legit to me, but will happily take the point

I dont need to post anything tonight.

Exactly this.

That first half performance was one of those that's so bad you can't really grasp unless you witnessed it in the flesh. Playing 3 out and out strikers leaves us terribly narrow and one dimensional. We finished strongly though and I'm happy enough with a point.

Hopefully the Maryhill 800 get the applause they deserve.

• Like 1

One of those games that's sometimes difficult to define. Good point or a stolen a point? Robbed of victory or lucky not have lost? Or all of the above?

What I can say with certainty was that for an hour we were dreadful. Utterly dreadful. Everything that was awful from that last tortuous trip to Firhill we'd somehow managed to recapture. And we even manage to make it worse with Hammell gifting their goal with a shockingly poor pass across the box. Not that Thistle were much better.

I thought we had the bulk of the second half but were seriously prone to being ripped on the break and were fortunate that Thistle passed up two or three excellent opportunities.

Credit to the team for sticking at it though. We appear to have been unfortunate with the decision as regards McDonald's first "goal" going by some tweets I've read after the game and after equalising we had one or two opportunities to win.

Disappointing that we weren't able to show anything like the form of last week but I suppose a point at any away game in the top flight isn't to be sniffed at even if they were at the bottom of the table. And if you can take a point when you have been some way off your best then again that's far from the worst outcome.

Given the performance and the fact we gift-wrapped their goal I'm happy enough with a point, even more so given it has us sat in 4th for the moment.

We were absolutely woeful though. Nothing stuck up top, for large periods of the match it seemed like we could barely pass the ball and as others have pointed out Azeez gave Heneghan & McManus a torrid time.

For all that though I didn't see much wrong with the chalked off goal though if McDonald was off then I'll happily stand corrected. We probably finished the stronger of the sides and could have nicked it. Both McFadden & Ainsworth improved us IMO and when we did actually start passing the ball and played to feet we moved it around quite well.

There's a positive in the fact that we played as poorly and still took a point and it's difficult not to feel that today was the sort of game we'd have lost over the past couple of seasons.

The lack of communication across the back line and between defence and goalkeeper is a massive concern for me though. Hesitant and indecisive, we're an utter shambles at times.

All in all though, I'll take the point.

We were dire yet could have won it at the end full backs were shocking IMO they never seem to stop crosses both turn their back on it every time no idea why Faddy came on again imo offers nothing surely Lucas must be fitter than faddy and bowman not at the races players have bad days and although effort was there nothing came off would have thrown Mackin on but Magee seems to be reluctant to give youngsters even 5 mins and I also thought MCDonald goal was onside flag only went up after he scored but might be proved wrong

no idea why Faddy came on again imo offers nothing

Have to disagree.

While some of Faddy's cameos in the past have been dubious, today we were immediately more creative when he came on.

Movement was far better and he was looking to play adventurous passes.

Indeed, Faddy getting the ball on the left cutting in, looking for options, then eventually picking out Tait was the build up to our goal.

• Like 7

We were dire yet could have won it at the end full backs were shocking IMO they never seem to stop crosses both turn their back on it every time no idea why Faddy came on again imo offers nothing surely Lucas must be fitter than faddy and bowman not at the races players have bad days and although effort was there nothing came off would have thrown Mackin on but Magee seems to be reluctant to give youngsters even 5 mins and I also thought MCDonald goal was onside flag only went up after he scored but might be proved wrong

You must have been the guy that was sat near me. Unless there were two folk there that talked a power of shite, without a pause, for the full game.

• Like 2

Have to disagree.

While some of Faddy's cameos in the past have been dubious, today we were immediately more creative when he came on.

Movement was far better and he was looking to play adventurous passes.

Indeed, Faddy getting the ball on the left cutting in, looking for options, then eventually picking out Tait was the build up to our goal.

Moult had a 10 out of 10 performance last week but it was more like 1 out of 10 this week. McFadden improved us but so did Moult by coming off.

Moult had a 10 out of 10 performance last week but it was more like 1 out of 10 this week. McFadden improved us but so did Moult by coming off.

McGhee said Moult injured a hammy when he stepped on his wean's toy and couldn't train all week. Didn't even expect him to play today.

Swami this is a football site not an English site say what I feel if you disagree with me fine but don't be a dick because I don't put commas full stops etc and no never said much during game so thankfully I wasn't sitting near u

Fair enough. But frankly, if you think that we should have brought on Lucas instead of McFadden today then you are clearly mad.

At half time they had scored the one credible chance there had been, granted it came with a bow on top from Hammell. Second half we went for it but were struggling to make it stick and didn't create much until the last twenty minutes. Problem was we over committed numbers wise and they had three chances where they really should have killed the game off. But to be fair to our lot, we did to them what so many teams have done to us over the years and dug in, scored a goal and in the end could have nicked it. Tait I didn't think was great today but that cross for the goal was an absolute peach, it was so good it was just about impossible for McDonald to miss. In the last five minutes when it was 1-1 you could tell they were at the bottom of the league needing a win as they looked scared and we looked like we believed we could win and Cadden and Bowman could have nicked it. Thought Heneghan had his weakest game today and Hammell and Tait were all over the place. Midfield I felt over committed a bit at 1-0 too early but in the early and late knockings of the game today they were much more competitive than last week.

On Tweeds point about Tait's cross, that's the kind of clever thinking that can unlock a defence. Everyone...defenders, the crowd, was expecting him to head for the byline and cross with his right, but by cutting onto his left and clipping it in it caught their backline setting up to defend the cross on their wrong side and having to adjust. By that time McDonald is on the end of it and it's a goal. Really intelligent decision.

On wellowell's point, by all means disagree and it appears you do, but I firmly believe if Faddy doesn't come on today then we don't get the draw. He has a natural awareness of where the spaces are, which is what we were hugely lacking up until that point.

• Like 1

On wellowell's point, by all means disagree and it appears you do, but I firmly believe if Faddy doesn't come on today then we don't get the draw. He has a natural awareness of where the spaces are, which is what we were hugely lacking up until that point.

Absolutely agree. If nothing else McFadden gave us a much better balance and shape with him out on the left rather than shuffling one of McDonald or Moult out there.

We started to find passes in to feet much more once he was on the park too. Indeed arguably our best spell of the game coincided with him coming on.

• Like 2

Just watched the TV highlights - a few observations. A shocking pass by Hammell for Thistle's goal but I don't think Samson can be apportioned blame - he's on a hiding to nothing. I can't see why MacDonald's first "goal" was chalked off - he was clearly onside. So, although there's much talk about us being lucky Thistle also benefitted from a slice of good luck. As the Captain said, Tait's cross for the goal was an absolute peach. From admittedly brief clips it seems as though our midfield wasn't competitive enough.

Still an away point isn't a bad result.

it seems as though our midfield wasn't competitive enough.

Many would argue that we haven't had a fully functioning midfield since Jennings left the team. Rears its head every few months that the midfield is missing something and many of out competitors outplay and boss this pivotal area of the park.

If I was McGhee I'd be concerned with the lack of consistency, week to week but also within games. I get that a half time dressing down can give impetus to a lacklustre first half but we're seriously blowing hot and cold with little in between. Manifested to the extreme last week with a sublime first half performance and a shakey second half. What struck me in the past few years under McCall and McGhee is the amount of games we were chronic for the first 30 minutes but came onto a game after that.

After getting the old firm out the way so early on, the remaining fixtures until the end of October when we go into the second phase of the league was all about amassing points from those around us. We're not performing adequately but I accept McGhee's plans probably centred around having McHugh and Kennedy available as starters. Just looking at the league table tonight, a bit of oomph in the game today and against St Johnstone and we could be sitting in second.

• Like 1