Scottish Premiership Motherwell V Hearts Fri 30 Sep 19:45

Yabba's Turd

The tactics and formation were a shambles to start with. Moult on the wing, Skippy leading the line at times, Bowman miles out his depth (can't fault his effort though). It got worse when Lucas came on.

It's depressing that any dross from the Conference can come up and go straight into the team but our own youngsters don't get a look in. It'll be interesting to see if it's the usual international break week off for the players or if they are actually going to bother to go into work next week and try and improve.

Our youngsters as you put it have been allegedly ready to step up now for a few seasons but it has never happened. Some ie Dom Thomas are under their 3rd manager, 4 if you count craigan so they all cant be wrong about them, maybe they are not ready or all the managers think are not 1st team standard. So the conference dross as you put it might be the better option, but give mcgheee a call i am sure he would welcome your opinion.

• Like 1

I felt that the first half was incredibly frustrating, letting Hearts have the ball and defending deep. How many times do we need to see it before it's accepted that it's just not our game? In saying that it worked well until a foul (that I thought looked dubious), a horrible goalkeeping mistake, a poor clearance, and a wicked deflection cost us the goal.

Second half I actually thought we were by far the better team and it looked like only a matter of time until we scored. Typical then, that another piss poor effort by the keeper followed up by another defensive error led to the sucker punch second. What a strike though by Paterson. After that we just lost the plot.

When we actually had Moult and McDonald up top together we looked dangerous. Playing the, out wide is a complete waste of their abilities. Bowman looks like he can do a job wide though, so perhaps an option for 4-4-2.

Disappointing to lose Cadden, and I hope it's nothing serious. Hammell had a horrible night, as did Samson. The defence look terrified with him behind them. Surely Brill must now be given a chance?

Ainsworth and McFadden both made an impact when they came on, which was good to see, and great news that McHugh is near a return.

A frustrating night, but a couple of positives at least.

I ve got a bit depressed reading some of the negative comments in this thread. I actually thought we were unlucky tonight. The first half was pretty even. I felt we competed well with a team that looked bigger stronger and faster than us. In a SPL game the first goal is vital. We looked the more likely to score. Their keeper had an outstanding save from Clay and then on the stroke of half time a nothing shot takes a wicked deflection and we go in 1-0 down. It could and perhaps should have been the other way round. We started the second half brightly and with a bit of luck in front of goal might have equalised. They were looking quite dangerous on the break. I have no idea what Samson was trying to do in the scramble just before their second goal. It was a worldy that could on another day have cleared the stand but it landed in the goal.

Yes there has to be questions about the tactics. I hardly remember Moult who is a goalscorer being in their box. He wont score isolated on the wing. Bowman is a trier but looks limited and I would like to see us have Moult and McDonald as a pair up front. McGhee clearly does not trust Ainsworth or he would have brought him on for Cadden. If he had been in the mood his strong running would have been the ideal replacement for Cadden. I thought Clay and Heneghan were our best players. We badly need a midfielder who can run beyond the front players and someone who can pick a pass that opens a defence. Pity there is a break now. However some of the players need to up their fitness levels and hopefully this will be worked on over the next two weeks or will it with McGhee away.

Hammell is making too many mistakes, don't know if it's judgement or reading the game (which at his experience level shouldn't be the case) or he is unable physically to put into place what his brain tells him to do.

Samson's continued desire to punch, parry and deflect over catching and smothering is putting undue pressure on the defence. We have a goalkeeping coach, I sincerely hope his role is more than drop kicking balls at waist height, 5ft left and right of Samson.

Crow-baring players into a starting formation opposed to playing the best players for what you're going to play .... that has to rest with McGhee .... again! The league was meant to start after the international break according to the manager.

The goal was a fluke, the second was slack to allow the shot, but what a finish.

Need some guile, not giving the opposition as much respect and not defending so deep, our back 4 aren't competent in their current makeup to combat sustained attacks.

Defend as deep as we do and your always going to give yourself problems.

Absolutely - the way we played just asked for trouble.

In truth we were beaten by 7.45. I agree with many comments about the wrong formation and tactics. The front three didn't know what they were meant to be doing. Moult was wasted in midfield and for much of the time Bowman played far too deep. MacDonald was on a hiding to nothing in a sometimes 4-5-1 formation trying to win aerial balls. Cadden's enforced departure didn't help as he was our midfield. Samson wasn't the cause of our loss but he looked far from impressive. As MJW wrote we sat far too deep and paid the penalty.

Both full backs were poor again and I shudder to think both are on 2 year deals. The midfield simply didn't function - no creativity, no protection for the defence and poor work rate. Lucas didn't impress when he came on and did very little of note but too early to judge him.

Hearts ran out easy and worthy winners. Their midfield and defence was way above ours in terms of performance. Not the best Hearts team I've seen by along way but they were clinical in their finishing and worked their socks off when off the ball. They harried, chased and closed us down.

I felt sorry for McManus and Heneghan - they have problems behind them (keeper); in front of them (central midfield) and to the side of them (full backs).

I sincerely hope that McHugh stiffens our midfield on his return but we're still a creative player short there. Lasley is well past it now and I just don't see what Clay brings to the team. Lucas????

If everyone else can see all the above issues then why can't McGhee? The issues the team faces have been there since game one and are still going on now unaddressed.

Not all the players who started in the Firhill shambles deserved to keep their starting place, yet everyone did!

We looked exactly what we are last night - a team of old men lacking pace width and creativity. Lasley and clay must be the worst centre midfield combination in the league. McDonald moult and bowman are not a good fit as a front three despite the Hamilton game and the rest of the team are not very good

Dont agree with all of that post but you are spot on with Lasley he is done and needs replaced Asap. As for Clay i thought he had a decent game last night so with a decent holding midfielder beside him he should be ok, Cadden and Ainsworth should akso be starting in midfield.

Up front Bowman has potential he is a big lad and wins a lot in the Air so i would have him beside Moult in a front 2 and drop Mcdonald in behind them in front of the midfield.

As for the defence Hammell is in the same category as Lasley ie he is done, so a left back is needed, as i said in an earlier post Samson gives me the fear so i think its time Brill had his chance.

So apart from needing a new centre mid and a left back to replace Las and Hammell i think we have the potential for a decent squad

Aye well I did say we shouldn't have re-signed any of he veterans.

Our under-20's must be dire if McGhee thinks that mob are better.

They are far from dire, McGhee feels the youngsters can only play if they have experience around them, he mentioned that numerous times last year when Hall and Cadden broke into the team saying they needed guys like McManus, Lasley etc to help them through games.

Now is the time to get 2 or 3 of Craigan's boys to step up and inject an energy and freshness to the team.

I'm reasonably happy with Moult, MacDonald and Bowman as each brings something different to the team and they have the potential to play well together IF they're played to their strengths which did not happen last night. MacDonald will never be a lone target man and Moult is not a midfielder. Skippy is at his best when playing off the shoulder of a bigger man like Moult or Bowman. To play to their full potential they also need good service and quick support.

Our fundamental problems lie in midfield and defence. The midfield in particular lacks creativity and certainly defensive qualities. Most Premiership sides we've met this season can outcompete and outrun us in midfield and that is root cause of most of our problems. Despite their weaknesses, Clay and Lasley are giving 100% but they just aren't capable of putting in an acceptable work rate due to their lack of pace. I don't know that they're the worst s central midfield combination in the league but if they aren't they can't be far off it. Hearts' midfield worked like trojans last night, running all over the park to frustrate, harry and hassle us. Partick were the same as were Accies, Ross County and St Johnstone. They may not be eye catching glamourous qualities but they are badly needed. In one example last night 3 Hearst attackers had Hammell surrounded near his own corner flag. He made a pass under pressure and they immediately darted off to annoy the recipient. We're simply not capable of playing like that off the ball.

I think it was Al B who said that until Pearson resigns McGhee hopes that the midfield will muddle through. Yes, we're missing McHugh but Al is right in my opinion. The question is "Is our midfield good enough to muddle through?"

Inevitable panty wetters on here after a loss. We are not a terrible team. All our players are not shite. A few on here should give posting a miss full stop. Yes it is a forum but it is depressing reading same mince after every game. Sure I don't have to read it. But Sadly I like this message board for the most part.

Last night we played OK and on another day could have taken something from the game.

That said - the 1st goal was utterly avoidable. Starting with the freekick Moult gives away. That however was in no way worse than Samsons inevitable flap at fresh air, followed by Lasley brain fart.

I agree with most that I would like to see what Brill can offer. Samson is not strong enough at commanding his box and his wish to punch and parry shots is only going to lead to more unavoidable goals through the season. If he catches of at least punches the ball away at the 1st goal - we go in at HT 0-0. Simples.

Lasley and Hammell - must be their last season as regulars. Been fantastic for the club but they are slow and decision making is getting worse as the season progresses. Would be interesting whether Hammell would start if Chalmers was not injured. Same for McHugh and Lasley.

Cadden going off did not help either. He is a pivotal part of our team and probably was an early sign that it was not going to end well.

A tough October awaits and I suspect we will be near the foot of the table come the end of it. Which should be fun reading on here. We enough about us to finish away from a dog fight and despite what a few on here STILL say McGhee has proved himself as a very good Manager for Motherwell Football club.

I presume Ross MacLean was missing from the bench last night due to injury? Shame, as he'd have been the ideal replacement for Cadden.

I dont think he was injured I think he was just not selected for the bench, I saw him sitting with the other under 20s lads in the main stand last night, would be extremely surprised if he doesn't play for the 20s on Monday night at St Johnstone.

Hammell and Lasley are woeful and should be dropped. Offering them new deals has got to be one of the worst decisions by the club in my time supporting the club.

McGhee is getting found out big time and telling Motherwell fans in the main stand to "fuck off" after the first goal went in was totally unprofessional .

It's actually becoming harder and harder for me to attend games and watch the dross that is served up.

Hammell and Lasley are woeful and should be dropped. Offering them new deals has got to be one of the worst decisions by the club in my time supporting the club.

McGhee is getting found out big time and telling Motherwell fans in the main stand to "fuck off" after the first goal went in was totally unprofessional .

It's actually becoming harder and harder for me to attend games and watch the dross that is served up.

This post is about 1,000 times more depressing that anything I saw last night.

Some people need a serious wake up call. We are trying to run a top level professional football team in a global market on the back of 3,500 supporters. What do you expect? Silky football, squad bristling with talent, sweeping teams aside....etc.

We got beat by a bigger better team last night. Man the fuck up.

• Like 1