Scottish Premiership Motherwell V Hearts Fri 30 Sep 19:45

Yabba's Turd

A frustrating night in many respects.

I thought the scoreline was harsh on us and we weren't a million miles away from deserving a share of the spoils but we did little to help ourselves throughout.

Thought apart from the really dull fifteen-twenty minute spell after Cadden went off injured where we seemed to sit back, give them the ball and allow them to find new ways of doing nothing with it, the game ebbed and flowed quite nicely.

It was annoying to go behind on the stroke of half-time and in the manner it was conceded. It did however serve to give us something of a kick up the backside and I felt we were much better in the second half. But we didn't take our chances when they came and whilst the finish for their second was good once more we were culpable for passing up opportunities to clear our lines.

The third just kind of confirmed of it wasn't our night although seeing McFadden find the back of the net in claret and amber fair warmed the heart, if only for a little while.

We all know how important he's become to the team for the drive and energy he brings but we really missed Cadds when we went off. The other obvious talking point about the team is the front three. If anything the attempts to find the right balance appeared to have gone backwards last night. McGhee certainly got the workrate and defending from the front mentality he sought but at what cost? It was painful stuff seeing your top scorer filling in at right back and putting in crosses to the area of the field he would normally be waiting to take advantage of them.

For all that there were some positives. We did stick at it even when it was clear the game was gone which is never a bad attribute for a team to have but all in all a pretty disappointing night,

We've just played like one in the majority of our games this season.

We have played 12 games so far. Played well enough in 4 of the 5 league cup games. Celtic away excepted. But again they can draw 3-3 with Man City and will spank many teams at Parkhead probably including ourselves in a couple of weeks.

As for the league - played well enough v Killie away, Rangers away, Hamilton at home.....

We have been poor in a few for sure..

As much as I appreciate the sentiment, that if you give out abuse then you should be able to take it, it's disappointing to hear that for the 2nd week in a row McGhee is happy to abuse the home support.

Last week he said clear for all to see we were Fucking Idiots for booing at half time at Maryhill. For a man of his experience and supposed savvy it's pretty disappointing to see and hear.

Onto the game, not much to say that's not already been said but the loss of Cadds was pivotal as we changed to the stupid 4-5-1.

We caused them problems and created chances but just didn't take them at the right times. Plus seeing Moult so far back was utterly depressing.

We are so one paced it's frightening, bringing Lucas on just maintained that. We need to freshen things up somehow and maybe dropping Las and McDonald could be the start. An energetic forward line of Moult and Bowman to me could work.

I'm really disappointed in McDonalds performances recently and expect so much more from him.

-------------------Brill---------------------

Tait---Heneghan---McManus---Hammell

Ainsworth---Cadden---Clay---McFadden

------------Moult---McDonald-----------

With everyone fit I'd have Chalmers in ahead of Hammell, and possibly McHugh ahead of Clay, but I feel we HAVE to go with something like that as soon as possible.

Don't get me wrong, I get what he's trying to do with Bowman, and I do think there's a little bit of something that could develop...but I don't think now is the time to do it. Bowman is a strong athletic boy and whilst I take Steelboy's earlier point that he's not exactly blessed with technique, I don't think he's a haddy either and could be a useful sub around the 60/70 min mark if we're looking for fresh legs up top.

We're crying out for a bit of creativity in the final 3rd, yet we have it on the bench...and that's twice it's given us a lift and changed the game with Lionel and Faddy coming on, just on both occasions it's been too late.

Those players, in a solid 4-4-2 with a bit of discipline, everyone knowing what they are supposed to be doing, left footers playing left, right footers playing right, strikers playing up top. That's a no brainer for me right now. Im the opposite to some in that I don't think we have bad players, I just think we're trying to fit players to a system instead of fitting a system to the players. Get the fundamentals right, and I genuinely do think the players have enough quality to win games.

• Like 2

I'm really disappointed in McDonalds performances recently and expect so much more from him.

McDonald is only capable of playing off a centre forward these days.

This season he has been leading the line up front and playing wide in midfield a lot of the time. Utterly pointless.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I get what he's trying to do with Bowman, and I do think there's a little bit of something that could develop...but I don't think now is the time to do it. Bowman is a strong athletic boy and whilst I take Steelboy's earlier point that he's not exactly blessed with technique, I don't think he's a haddy either and could be a useful sub around the 60/70 min mark if we're looking for fresh legs up top.

Bowman might do a job as a target man in a 4-4-2. Asking him to do anything more complicated is going to end badly as we saw last night.

Faddy is pacing himself during 20 minute sub appearances. I don't see him starting anytime soon.

McGhee said during the summer that he wanted to build the team round McDonald but we haven't seen much sign of it.

Think we have to revert to the 442ish shape we had when Grimshaw was here with Cadden on the right and a front 2 of McDonald and Moult. The issue is left midfield though, can McFadden or Thomas fill the void because there are no other options... unless Belic has something to offer.

-------------------Brill---------------------

Tait---Heneghan---McManus---Hammell

Ainsworth---Cadden---Clay---McFadden

------------Moult---McDonald-----------

With everyone fit I'd have Chalmers in ahead of Hammell, and possibly McHugh ahead of Clay, but I feel we HAVE to go with something like that as soon as possible.

We're crying out for a bit of creativity in the final 3rd, yet we have it on the bench...and that's twice it's given us a lift and changed the game with Lionel and Faddy coming on, just on both occasions it's been too late.

Those players, in a solid 4-4-2 with a bit of discipline, everyone knowing what they are supposed to be doing, left footers playing left, right footers playing right, strikers playing up top. That's a no brainer for me right now. Im the opposite to some in that I don't think we have bad players, I just think we're trying to fit players to a system instead of fitting a system to the players. Get the fundamentals right, and I genuinely do think the players have enough quality to win games.

I'd agree with most of this, although I'd play McHugh on the left of midfield when fit and I'd keep Las in the middle of midfield, rather than Clay and McFadden. Need to get back to playing Moult and McDonald where they are at their best.

I feel he is trying same formation as last time the difference I also feel is last time mcormack and Clarkson were really comfortable coming off wing with Porter also not bad but better in middle. moult bowman and mcdonald are all better in middle and struggle coming off the wing. Moult and Mcdonald in middle for me with 4 behind them with Cadden and ainsworth wide.2 centre mids however well that's another story. Lasley has been nothing short of magnificent for us over years but if wants to stay in team his game needs to be sitting only. he sometimes forgets he's 37 I think.last night we could have won as others say goals change games and if their keeper hadn't made that save it's a different game

Read a few comments and agree with the general consensus - lacking width big time.

4-3-3 with NO WINGERS is never going to work. Same as against thistle. We've got our top scorer and only penalty box striker playing left wing ffs! Time to go 4-3-3 with wingers or change back to a 4-4-2.

Pet hate is managers shoehorning 11 players into a formation.

Samson I don't think is terrible, but he's had his chance and gifted opponents with a few howlers. Mcghee looked pretty raging at half time - time for brill, surely.

There's been absolutely no panty wetting but one win in seven is big concern.

There has been a lot of draws this season.

Dundee haven't won in 7 (and are away to Hearts next)

Hamilton have one win in 8.

Kilmarnock have one win in 8.

Inverness have two wins in 8.

Partick have one win in 7 (and a game in hand away to Celtic)

Inverness have two wins in 8.

These are the teams we are competing against and right now there isn't much between any of them.

• Like 1

Some people need a serious wake up call. We are trying to run a top level professional football team in a global market on the back of 3,500 supporters. What do you expect? Silky football, squad bristling with talent, sweeping teams aside....etc.

Teams like St Johnstone, Inverness and Hamilton all manage to be competitive. While its nice to have flair and panache in the side at our level its not necessary. Every team needs a balance of talent, flair, solidity, and hardness. We have some decent talented players in the squad but what we need are athletic, hard working, solid, reliable types and this is what we lack. They're not expensive and can be picked up as Tom Wright at Perth will testify. Players who are not standouts but make few mistakes and can be relied upon not to let you down.

Teams like St Johnstone, Inverness and Hamilton all manage to be competitive. While its nice to have flair and panache in the side at our level its not necessary. Every team needs a balance of talent, flair, solidity, and hardness. We have some decent talented players in the squad but what we need are athletic, hard working, solid, reliable types and this is what we lack. They're not expensive and can be picked up as Tom Wright at Perth will testify. Players who are not standouts but make few mistakes and can be relied upon not to let you down.

Hearts beat Hamilton 3-1 and Inverness 5-1.

St. Johnstone have a good core squad now like we have had in the recent past and which will gradually fade just like ours is doing now.

McGhee said during the summer that he wanted to build the team round McDonald but we haven't seen much sign of it.

Think we have to revert to the 442ish shape we had when Grimshaw was here with Cadden on the right and a front 2 of McDonald and Moult. The issue is left midfield though, can McFadden or Thomas fill the void because there are no other options... unless Belic has something to offer.

Don't think you will be seeing belic in a Motherwell jersey

Bowman might do a job as a target man in a 4-4-2. Asking him to do anything more complicated is going to end badly as we saw last night.

Faddy is pacing himself during 20 minute sub appearances. I don't see him starting anytime soon.

Again I don't necessarily disagree, but if Faddy is a bit-part player these days then I'd rather have him on for the first half where we can try and set the tone, as opposed to the last half hour trying to claw back a bit of respectability.

Playing to their strengths for so long let us down. It was working OK but as soon as the deflected goal went in the whole system is gubbed. Always a chance something like that can happen.

Moult and Bowman wasted dropping back wide and not yet played like that enough to play it properly. For example Moult out wide and about to play a cross in should have seen Bowman in tight with McDonald in the box waiting. But Bowman was still out wide and left Skippy isolated.

Some decent play in there. So even though we conceded 3 I am not totally disheartened.

• Like 2

Don't think you will be seeing belic in a Motherwell jersey

Very frustrating if that is the case. We spend the best part of a year talking up the departure of Marvin but don't have an adequate replacement lined up.

Heneghan and hopefully McHugh aside, recruitment has been sketchy over the summer, leaving us with an unbalanced squad that lacks pace and creativity.

I watched the full game back last night and as disappointing as the result was I'm very much in the "we weren't that bad" camp. In the first half other than pick up a ball that sclaffed off Heneghan Samson didn't have a meaningful save to make, by and large we were containing Hearts reasonably well and it's fair to say we had the best chances with Hamilton saving from Clay and a decent effort from McDonald that was beat away near post. However, same as v Thistle, we gifted them a goal.

Samson had nothing to do in 45 mins of football except claim a floated free kick which he gets caught under, ineffectively waving a fist at the ball then Lasley elects not to just put his laces through the ball to get us up the park and instead of going in 0-0 we go in 1-0 down. Again, it's an obvious truism but goals change games, unfortunately whether it's Samson vs St Johnstone, Hammell vs Thistle or the first on Friday we have a habit of giving sides cheap goals. The fact that the 3 goals on Friday stemmed from our failure to clear our lines effectively is as disappointing as the result.

I agree that Ainsworth would have been the obvious replacement for Cadden but equally I didn't feel Lucas did much wrong when he came on. He showed for the ball in the centre of the park, took a touch and moved the ball on, switched play and more often than not found his man. Indeed it was his ball that gave McDonald his chance for the offside goal. If anything though he'd have been the more obvious replacement for Lasley.

Ultimately I thought there were periods in the game where we played quite well and fashioned some decent chances that we didn't take. We didn't lose the game because we were outplayed in any meaningful way, we lost the game because we gifted Hearts, who are a good side, goals.

Having said all that Paterson's goal was an absolute thunderbastard and McFadden's free kick was quite, quite superb.

• Like 4