Scottish Premiership Motherwell V Inverness Ct Wed 26 Oct 19:45

Yabba's Turd

Tactical master stroke. Two young right footed players played on the left in the second half- both naturally take the ball onto their right foot, thus ensuring absolutely no width or forward impetus.

Moult playing too wide to get involved.

Dull dull dull

Cadden at least used his physical strength and stuck at it

We're no further forward in terms of formation or form than we were at the start of the season

I've read all of the above on last nights game with interest and have to say that relevant points are made all the way through. To generalise all of it I'd say the position we are in at the moment is we have a squad that would give it a go at SPL level but we don't have the coaches who know how to use it. We knock the ball around the back four for so long that before the inevitable long punt comes along everyone up the park is covered. Remember the days of Faddy and Clarkson when we penetrated midfields and defences on the deck, I'm convinced we could still do that, especially with some of the youngsters we have with pace. Moult should be put in the Box and told to stay there with MacDonald making a nuisance of himself in and around it. Both of those guys must be sick of the lack of balss to feet they get, a few times last night MacDonald was even five yards outside OUR box asking for the ball, why does that have to happen ?

He might not be setting the world on fire down south but, I know from a fan that he jumped into a nightmare, since Robinson went we have had no obvious shape to the side. I think that if this continues our Gaffer may find himself under growing pressure, fans are already voting with their feet !

• Like 1

We only had two left-footed players in the starting line-up...Clay and McManus, neither of whom are suited to playing either at left-back or left-mid. I thought the boy McMillan looked composed on hi sleft-foot for what its worth

The point I'm trying to make is that you don't have any left footed players on the left side, then you play narrow on that side and with width on the right hand side where it's a more natural fit

The point I'm trying to make is that you don't have any left footed players on the left side, then you play narrow on that side and with width on the right hand side where it's a more natural fit

I get the point, I just don't know what else Mcghee could have done last night...we seem to have a real lack of left-sided players in the squad, while McMillan and McLean at least have played in those positions for the 20s

Perhaps the man to ask why we lack left sided players in the squad is the same man who couldn't do much without them last night, he's responsible for bringing players in !!!!!

ONeils40Yarder absolutely nailed it in his post this morning, and it's almost as if he took the words out of my mouth. Superb summary.

I've been very much behind McGhee, and I've defended him where I believe he should be defended, but after last night, it's very much 'you can't defend the indefensible'.

Again, the line-up looked ok, but why have McLean and Cadden both out towards the right, with nobody on the left? Where is the pace in the team? Where are the technically good players? Where's the creativity? Pumping the ball up to Moult and Bowman was horrendously painful to watch. Bringing on a half fit James McFadden for 20 minutes every game is becoming more and more embarrassing by the week.

I may be clutching at straws, but I remember a similar outcry after we lost to Kilmarnock in early February, before getting a rocket up our arse and going on a good winning run. I'm hopeful of a similar outcome now (although, that might put me alongside Yassin in the 'mental' category).

Finally, the chat of "ahm no going back until X is away or Y is not playing" is fucking brutal. If you're packing in going to watch your team, be man enough to admit the real reason, rather than hiding behind that bollocks.

• Like 4

Perhaps the man to ask why we lack left sided players in the squad is the same man who couldn't do much without them last night, he's responsible for bringing players in !!!!!

Yes, of course he is, but without trying to defend the manager too much, he has Hammell and Chalmers injured, Johnson left on the last day of the window, Belic clearly isnt good enough/fit and Thomas hasnt shown anything in the games he has been given.

Clearly, McGhee has made mistakes in squad addition and retention but purely based on his squad available last night, I'm not sure what else he could have done...particularly on the left hand side!!!!! (exclamation marks for dramatic effect only)

As someone, who defended McGhee, I'm finding it much harder to do so currently, particlularly if the rumours are true that he spends virtually no time with the squad during the week and is actively looking for a way out of the Club...

Is this a thing? I've not spent much time on Steelmenonline this season so this is first I'm reading it. If that is in anyway, shape or form true then he really needs hunted. And I say that as someone who usually supports McGhee.

I get the impression that McGhee sees the job as below him and he's more suited to five star hotels that Scotland stay in and standing across from Jogi Low or in the technical area at Wembley than doing the dirty work up at Dalziel Park. The reaction he got from the fans at the start of the year probably soured things a bit but there is no excuse for the half arsed job he has done this season from the late start to preseason to the scattergun team selection and signing policy. Fitness is a massive issue as well and we are creating basically nothing in the second half of games.

I thought we were going to be saved this season by Accie and Killie but they have both shown more than us this season so far and appear to have more qualities for a relegation battle. It's still early but the next two games are massive. Lose them both and I think McGhee will be guaranteed to be away before the New Year.

I have to add, does anyone think that McFadden is a good assistant?

I would have thought it would have been more benefit to be in the dressing room at half time than out on the park, he certainly doesn't appear to get too excited during the game either when working as asssistant!

Who knows? But when the team is as bad as they are everyone is under the spotlight.

Is this a thing? I've not spent much time on Steelmenonline this season so this is first I'm reading it. If that is in anyway, shape or form true then he really needs hunted. And I say that as someone who usually supports McGhee

What McGoo whoring himself to another club no way hese never did that before.............................................

I was away and missed this (fortunately?). The old man and Big Stall had been keeping me up to speed with texts until our flight left and having heard it was 0-0 at half-time with us perhaps slightly on top certainly didn't expect to read we'd been pumped 3-0 when I turned the phone back on a few hours later.

I don't particularly like the abuse and name calling but there are so many good points raised by different posters across the thread. Picking up on one Desp makes a really good point above about hitting a low that simply demands a reaction, involves some serious soul searching and hopefully is the catalyst to make amends. He mentioned Kilmarnock in February and there was another after the Albion Rovers and Celtic debacles that springs to mind also. This has that feel same about. Not so much fight or flight, more fight or it's going to be utter shite.

It has been frustrating reading of another square pegs into round holes "experiment" that in light of form suggests a more back to basics approach is required in the immediate future. Quite whether that equates to our "best" team is up for debate but as much as availability allows it would seem sensible to play your strike-force that have generally delivered over the last year together up front and you play the players most suited to the wide areas of midfield simply to give the team as much of a natural balance as you can.

I have enjoyed seeing Ross MacLean get game time and I am a fan of Lionel Ainsworth but since we've been seeking a naturally left-sided midfielder/winger as a replacement for Johnson and over the last 18 months have been crying out for Dom Thomas to have an extended run to see what he can do over a period, then that strikes me as a fairly obvious solution to providing some of the balance that has been missing - at least until the transfer window. When we have one win in 9 or 10 it is surely worth a try.

I was one who was happy that the senior players were all retained in the summer and still believe that over the piece the presence of Hammell in the squad can be beneficial for the likes of Watt and McMillan, that McManus can assist in the development of Heneghan and Ferguson, Lasley with Cadden and Campbell and McDonald with Mackin and so on. Clearly though as our senior players they should be the ones driving us forward (I know, I know....) and like in those scenarios mentioned before there is a strong onus on them to deliver in these immediate games ahead.

More generally I once read an article in The Absolute Game (a sadly missed absolutely quality fanzine from back in the day) where a writer made the point that time in football is circular. Sooner or later you'll end up back at the same point you are now. It's just a case of how long it takes. And here we are in not too dis-similar position from the one McGhee inherited - and curiously a similar position to where we were at a point during his second season in charge last time around He turned that around to an extent then and I believe he'll do likewise this time but I do sometimes wonder at the lack of a figurehead driving things behind the scenes. I noted in his presser pre-Inverness McGhee stating his objectives were keeping the club in the division and developing players. This caught my attention. Perhaps true but it seemed quite a modest goal given the general similarity of everyone from about 4th please downwards. Acknowledging of course that what is said in a press conference is not always what is the true intention I might have expected the line to be about pushing for top six, particularly when there was chat about possibly going second before the Hearts game. He had his critics but Hutchison was pretty clear in his belief that we should be aiming for top last season for example.

Looking forward to the reaction on Saturday (he said hopefully!)

Was sitting seen mcghee shhouting at the guy in front of ne maybe if mcghee spent less time arguing with fans and more time on managing the game maybe hed get somewhere ....... Just a thought but then again maybe im wrong that squads fucking dreadful

If he spent less time in Brighton leaving an unqualified coach taking training...

• Like 1