Scottish Premiership Motherwell V Ross County Sat 29 Oct 15:00

Yabba's Turd

I have no doubt Brill is an okay keeper, however, it would only take the odd ‘clanger’ for folk to get on his back as well. Samson appears to have become a scapegoat for some, however, there are more than just him not performing at this present time. The penalty aside, Samson did enough in the Celtic game to convince me that he deserves his place. In recent years we have been spoilt for choice in the goalkeeping department (Ruddy, Randolph etc). However, we are an average SPFL side and we can’t expect that level of quality every season. We just need to get on with it and work together as a team to give our keeper more protection. Even the best keeper in the world would eventually come unstuck with the standard of player that we have at this present time.

Like many, I just don't get the amount of long balls we punt at our forwards - we've shown time and again that when we play the ball on the deck moving forward, we look reasonably good, but it also highlights issues.

We have good midfield players, but we sadly lack one or two creative midfield players, the types who can play a killer ball, or play themselves into areas where they ask questions of the opposition. Even getting to an area where a pot shot is taken would be a bonus. Way too many games like Wednesday,, an opposing keeper has finished the game doing the sum total of hee haw. Chris Cadden had a attempt at goal from distance,and although a poor effort, it found it's way to Moult which at least gave a hint of a chance

Our forward players are so deep at times that we even get situations where we have got good ball, but there is no-one centre who's going to battle for what comes in.

And what happened to the theory that you defend as far up the park as possible, at least that was often drummed in to teams I played for - teams attack us, and we consistently back off until they're near enough on the 18 yd line - Wednesday night's 2nd goal came from the big no.5 getting the ball and steaming forward until he played the ball wide well in to our half, corner, goal !

And don't get me started on this idea of everyone behind the ball for corners set pieces in our half !!!

I don't have all the answers, but for a start, being more positive minded in our approach would surely reap some benefits - Accies match for example, we start on the front foot and go for it.

A result or two will change the complexion of how we view the performances, but the next two games need to provide points - here's hoping

MON RA DOSSERS

I now have an irrational dislike of him so much so that him pulling his socks up after every play is beginning to annoy me.

Ha,there are a number of things like this which grate and cannot be unseen.

One of mine is Lasley(and others) half-heartedly showing for the ball at a throw in then running away.

Like many, I just don't get the amount of long balls we punt at our forwards - we've shown time and again that when we play the ball on the deck moving forward, we look reasonably good, but it also highlights issues.

Totally agree. I'm far from being in the Mcghee out camp, because I've seen plenty of passages which suggests we are capable of playing some nice football. Wednesday's highlights had an example of that which culminated in a shite cross from Cads [a shame for him that his only fuck up made it onto the highlights].

I think we've got the potential to 'click', however as many have pointed out - that won't happen as long as we persevere with punting long balls and sticking with personnel who are incapable of unlocking a defence.

Like many, I just don't get the amount of long balls we punt at our forwards - we've shown time and again that when we play the ball on the deck moving forward, we look reasonably good, but it also highlights issues........We have good midfield players, but we sadly lack one or two creative midfield players, the types who can play a killer ball, or play themselves into areas where they ask questions of the opposition. .......Our forward players are so deep at times that we even get situations where we have got good ball......And what happened to the theory that you defend as far up the park as possible, at least that was often drummed in to teams I played for - teams attack us, and we consistently back off until they're near enough on the 18 yd line - Wednesday night's 2nd goal came from the big no.5 getting the ball and steaming forward until he played the ball wide well in to our half, corner, goal !

Good post. I don't like the long balls either or the strikers playing so deep. I assume its because we have no creativity in midfield. We also defend far too deeply and narrowly and thats why we lose so many goals - 2 on Wednesday for example.

I agree with UBH that theres others apart from Samson not performing. I'm not convinced of Tait, defensively anyway, and McManus is far from convincing. Heneghan is promising and left back is simply a problem.

However, where I disagree with you is that I don't think we do have good midfield players, Cadden and perhaps the unfortunate McHugh apart. I don't rate Clay, Lasley and Lucas for different reasons and Ainsworth is very hit or miss. MacLean and Campbell are too young and inexperienced yet for us to rely on them and the jury is still out on the talented but frustrating Dom Thomas. In my view, midfield is our weak point. Cadden apart, there's no creativity or pace. Specifically Lasley and Clay are not competing, not supplying our strikers and not shielding our defence. That forces strikers to drop deep and it also leaves defenders, including Samson totally exposed. Their every error is therefore put under the microscope for all to see. I could even thole it if we lacked creativity but had a workmanlike and solid midfield but we don't even have that. Successive managers have failed to address the midfield, a critical area of the team.

For me Lucas is the interesting one. Looking at a midfield (l-r) of

Ainsworth Clay Lucas Cadden

or

Clay Lucas Cadden Ainsworth

Option 1, you thought Lasley and Clay was a one paced pairing? Option 2, Wednesday night wasn't enough to convince you that Clay wasn't a left midfielder?

If this team lineup works, great. If not, the manager has given so called "McGhee haters" plenty to work with...

Keeper aside the line up doesn't look too bad. Cadden gets a chance to make centre mid his own.

Best two strikers at the club playing.

Lionel getting his shot too. He really needs to step up and grab this chance. Thought we looked better once he came on on Wed, ok its not hard to get better than shite.

Good to see mcmillan keep his spot.