Steelmenonline Traffic

Kmcalpin

To be fair I did say that I could post a hundred links proving the point re email marketing. My mistake in not drilling down the search to within the last week, month, whatever.

Entertaining that anyone thinks that link being 18 months old makes a blind bit of difference.

I did offer to help. I offered to meet with a mod and show him how to do it. Hey, I'd even be quite happy to pay someone to set it up on behalf of the forum.

Here's the core issue.

This forum could be a driving force behind increasing fan engagement and attendance at Fir Park.

I get the impression that Yabba's is the forum owner?

If so - his replies and track record over the last few months prove that he has neither the imagination or ability to take this forum in the right direction. That direction is NOT TO BE A BUSINESS - but to BE IN THE BUSINESS OF DRIVING INTEREST AND SUPPORT IN MOTHERWELL FC.

If I were Yabba I'd be all over this like a rash. He and the moderating team here could make a serious difference to the club future backed by marketing experts like me and professionals I could/would hire in.

Alas - he's wallowing in a sea of stupidity. Stupid can't be helped, but if the penny drops, he's welcome to pm me so we can discuss how to help the club.

Until I get that pm, I'm not returning to this subject.

Make steelmen online Great Again

• Like 1

We are constantly looking for ways to improve the forum and welcome reasoned and sensible suggestions from all members, while email marketing may indeed improve customer traffic to websites of those that use it, it's not something we will be pursuing at this time.

We do have one or two upgrades due which will happen as and when they are required. We hope everyone continues to use and enjoy the forum in it's present form.

We promote visibility in various ways already. The forum has a reporting facility for any members who feel that a post is inappropriate or abusive, all reported posts are taken seriously and moderators will edit or remove posts as they see fit.

Everyone on this thread seems focused on one person's comments. They seem to be missing the point.

Usage on this site is down and if it continues to decline, the site will no longer be viable.

From where I sit, there are a large number of fans who aren't aware of this site, there are also a large number of fans who have been members but now don't come back.

The main reason for that is abuse.

It's normal to disagree with someone's opinion, but to turn to abuse is ridiculous.

Some people do it because they think they'll get a laugh at someone else's expense.

Some people do it because it makes them feel more powerful than they could achieve without the anonymity.

Either way it shouldn't be tolerated or rewarded.

I stopped using this site in the past due to some of the abuse I witnessed.

This is a decent site. You should be doing all you can to bring new users to the site. If you weed out the abuse then you might encourage some of the old users to return too.

Agree 100% Lanky. Analysing reasons for not using something is notoriously difficult as the target audience ie non users don't tend to respond. We've heard enough from frequent users now lets hear from former users or those who have never used the site. Their views will be of more interest to the site owner and Mods.

Agree 100% Lanky. Analysing reasons for not using something is notoriously difficult as the target audience ie non users don't tend to respond. We've heard enough from frequent users now lets hear from former users or those who have never used the site. Their views will be of more interest to the site owner and Mods.

A great part of the answer lies within data analysis of the type you get from email marketing. It's a science.

@LankyMac pointed out - people are focused on my comments. The amount of nonsense written on this thread is an embarrassment to this forum. People so blinded by hatred and stupidity they can't see the wood for the trees.

1. Moderators must take responsibility for the abuse on this website. It is a reflection on them as individuals.

2. Behaviour - you could bore the tits off me with your opinions, and believe me, some of you have. Jeezuz sufferin' - empty barrels and all that. I don't want your opinion, I take your opinion without you knowing.

How? Because I access behavioural data.

Polls are unreliable because they ask people's opinions. Behavioural data is beautiful because it tells what YOU DID, not what you said you were going to do.

I can see who is not opening their emails. If I think it's worthwhile, I can send them a personalized email to ask what's going on. And then respond to the problem ( if I can ).

How about the forum admin running a poll asking why people have stopped, or are considering stopping using the forum? Trust me, some of those that have stopped using it will sign back in to pass opinion.

The last time I looked, 53% of forum members read the forum without ever commenting. I can't remember the split between sign in and not commenting or lurking without signing in.

The number one factor in subduing comments was abuse. And so - we go back to moderation again. What's the number one factor holding this forum back? easy.

Yabba's Turd.

Even his name is offensive and stupid to some. He probably thinks it's funny. Every village needs an idiot, but we don't need the village idiot to be mayor.

Get your act together and start running this forum as it should be. The number one, by a country mile, interactive Motherwell supporters forum on the internet.

Since this entire forum has given users freedom to post unmoderated content and the moderating team volunteer their free time to do so, we are sadly unable to read every post made, and given that we trust first and moderate second all post content will continue to be unmoderated for the foreseeable future. We do hope that anyone who feels they are receiving abuse or reads abuse within the forum will use the report function and bring it to the attention of the moderating team.

I will nibble ever so slightly at your bait and say that since you have only been a member of this forum since 17/03/16 that in the 14 odd years it has existed prior to that momentous day we were blessed that you came to save us from ourselves, that I have had this forum name, it has roots from the once bestest ever Motherwell fanzine named after a Madness song ever. I don't feel like changing it on your advice.

• Like 5

Forget Sevco, this is the story that keeps on giving! Just when I think it's impossible for you to come out with more absurd nonsense, this utter gem appears!

Bravo sir, bravo!

A great part of the answer lies within data analysis of the type you get from email marketing. It's a science.

@LankyMac pointed out - people are focused on my comments. The amount of nonsense written on this thread is an embarrassment to this forum. People so blinded by hatred and stupidity they can't see the wood for the trees.

So email marketing can now tell you about the behaviour of users on this forum? Please elaborate...

Probably because your idea, while welcomed, was swiftly dismissed as not viable by the forum mods and people in the know. You have continued to spread your opinion aggressively, insulting other users. Because people have disagreed with you, you are going off on one and you have yet to respond to any rebuttal of your (very) questionable evidence and claims. This in any walk of life discredits you further and turns focus very much onto your comments and the tone and manner you deliver them.

2. Behaviour - you could bore the tits off me with your opinions, and believe me, some of you have. Jeezuz sufferin' - empty barrels and all that. I don't want your opinion, I take your opinion without you knowing.

Basically, "I'm right and you are all wrong so I will ignore you." Kinda the opposite of a what a forum is supposed to be, no?

How? Because I access behavioural data.

How have you managed to access data for this forum? And again, please tell me how "behavioural data" about what a user does on a website can be learned from an email?

I suspect you just googled "how to sound like I know what I'm talking about with online marketing" and saw this buzz word. Quite clear from the rest of your post you don't quite understand it.

I can see who is not opening their emails. If I think it's worthwhile, I can send them a personalized email to ask what's going on. And then respond to the problem ( if I can ).

Any marketing campaign allows for tracking. You never mentioned it in early parts of this crusade of yours, but I pointed out that it can and it does and the figures are declining year on year. This is a fact. Also, seeing if someone is opening/reading/clicking an email doesn't really tell you much other than they are opening/reading/clicking an email. In terms of your "behavioural data" it basically tells you that someone is prone to opening emails.

Polls are unreliable because they ask people's opinions. Behavioural data is beautiful because it tells what YOU DID, not what you said you were going to do.

How about the forum admin running a poll asking why people have stopped, or are considering stopping using the forum? Trust me, some of those that have stopped using it will sign back in to pass opinion.

Bit of poetic license putting these two sentences together, but helps emphasis my point.

Do you even read what you post??? This massive contradiction you makes supports the opinions of many on here that you are talking absolute nonsense. You are arguing with yourself and ultimately discrediting everything you say.

The last time I looked, 53% of forum members read the forum without ever commenting. I can't remember the split between sign in and not commenting or lurking without signing in.

A double barrelled load of nonsense in this one:

How did you check this figure when you don't have admin access to the site? And how can you verify actual users not signing in with no access? As an "internet marketing god" you will of course know that on average 48.5% of all websites traffic to any site was from bots in 2015 and I assume this was taken into account for your figures?

The number one factor in subduing comments was abuse. And so - we go back to moderation again. What's the number one factor holding this forum back? easy.

Wild tangent alert!! How have you gathered this information for this forum when there hasn't been any email sent out to users past and present??

Yabba's Turd.

Even his name is offensive and stupid to some. He probably thinks it's funny. Every village needs an idiot, but we don't need the village idiot to be mayor.

Again with the insults. Ok for you, but you'll call anyone out who dares question you. I'd be careful....

Maybe Yabba will do what the admins at the Aberdeen forum done in relation to a troll problem they had and post your personal details on the forum for you to be properly found out?!

He has explained his username already but this "offensive and stupid" idea must only be in your head. I would also like to add if Yabba's Turd is indeed the village idiot, that really doesn't bode well for you and your standing in the Steelmenonline Community.

Village garbage bin if you are lucky.

Get your act together and start running this forum as it should be. The number one, by a country mile, interactive Motherwell supporters forum on the internet.

It simply isn't, sorry.

Maybe once upon a time before the social media boom it was, but it simple cannot compete with Facebook and Twitter. The fact it is still active is a testament to the team behind it and the regular users who ensure its survival. I think the vast majority of people would think that Yabba and the mods have done a great job here, keeping the site ticking along. A few have said as much in their opinions that you have previously admitted in this spiel that you don't read. Many bigger forums than this have dropped away over the past few years, as forums really are a dying breed.

And its this insistence in the all-mighty power of forums that is the fundamental flaw in your argument that tells me, quite clearly, you do not know what you are talking about. End of.

Opinions and ideas are always welcome, but your absolutely flogging a dead horse with unsubstantiated nonsense.

Feel free to reply answering any of the multiple questions I have posed. While it will no doubt make for more highly entertaining reading, it would be more constructive from your point of view, open up a debate, a discussion rather than rabbit on and on about how your opinion is law and anyone who doesn't agree is an idiot.

• Like 5