Scottish Premiership Motherwell V Partick Thistle Sat 19 Nov 15:00

Yabba's Turd

On a side note and yes i know off topic but Micky Flanagan was £32 indoors warm, with over priced beer. Toilets that aren't overflowing and FUCK me have hot water. (Infection control MFC give us hot water to wash our hands FFS) also stewards that don't think they are part time bounces. Anyhoo point made

Should have got down to support the well and saved some money . Iv saw him and hes about as funny as a visit to new douglas park in the rain. Give us a report once youv seen him. Back to the game what I was at. Great first half . Held on to the lead for last half hour to secure three points. More of that every week please

Well that shut up a few doubters. Read the first page of this thread and it was mostly about McGhee's time being up if we didn't win. If that was the case then seven SPL managers were in the same boat with three points separating 6th from 12th.

Give some credit to the manager. He changed the shape of the team today to counteract the opposition and it worked. Imagine the meltdown on here if we had lost.

We saw again how important the first goal is. No wonder McGhee went ape shit about the disallowed goal at Dundee last week. Thistle had to come out and attack us and we got a second on the break and in the second half could and should have got a third.

A pretty good performance.

Samson did nothing wrong but was never tested so the jury is still out.

Tait had a potential man of the match performance. He gets better and better.

Heneghan had a terrible mistake early then made two crucial blocks when I thought they were going to score . Then he was terrific. Fast becoming one of my favourites.

McManus was solid and we do not know what influence he was having on the youngsters on his left. I suspect it was a lot.

Ferguson will have learned a lot from that today. The big black guy pushed elbowed and kicked him but he stood up to it all. McMillan looks like a future first team regular even though he is playing on his wrong side.

I have never been Lasley's biggest fan. Today was a typical good performance. He made good blocks and interceptions but when it came to constructive forward passes he was as usual lacking.

Clay is similar. One of those midfielders who goes about his work breaking up play without creating very much.

Cadden is our shining light. His powerful running threatens every time. To become a real sellable asset he needs to work on his final ball. Hopefully that will come.

If we are to reach our full potential i.e. the top six our front two Moult and McDonald are key.

I thought they were great today. On form they are probably the best pairing outside of the top four teams in the league and if they stay fit and perform as they did today there is every chance we will finish in the top six

McDonald is a narky wee shite but he is one of the cleverest and best front players in the SPL and we should cherish him.

Before the match we had 3 pages of moaning and doom mongering, after a match we could have scored 7 or 8 goals we get about one page worth of grudging approval but even then mainly due to the opponents being so poor.

No wonder 95% of the Motherwell support doesn't post here.

Agree. One particular poster made SEVEN pre-game miserable posts, and has said about 6 words post game...

• Like 1

Got to say when I saw the eleven names on the team sheet I was worried. When I saw the way said eleven were shaped at the centre, I could see a logic and within five minutes it was working quite well. So we'll start with a big well done to McGhee - he nailed it today.

That said it was a turgid opening and we were gifted a goal by Stuckmann. You can see why McGhee was so irked by the disallowed goal at Dens. We went from being the marginally better team to one who were in complete control and stroking it about nicely. In games like this when a goal gives you that lift it shows the importance of getting in first.

Tait and Heneghan should both have scored headers and Clay's drive went for power instead of position when a bit of composure would have had another goal but McDonald's goal was a peach. Super pass and finish. Though it all came from some honking defending.

Second half and we defended very well. For all Thistle had most of the ball and territory they only got in once when a shot was skied over the bar. What was apparent was Lasley, Clay and Cadden had gone from dominating the midfield in the first half to being second best in the second half. However it was not the complete overrunning it has been in other games and they still functioned reasonably.

We had some great chances on the counter and really should have had a third but as the game entered the final knockings we managed the game in a very competent but unspectacular fashion and they completely ran out of ideas. It really wasn't the Motherwell way....

Given the tough tough run we have coming winning was the alpha and omega today and we did it with some flashes of very good football, not quite the flowing stuff we got against Ross County and hopefully we can take something from that to the tough tests against HEarts and Celtic. Starting those two games in 6th is an excellent bonus because starting them in 10th could have meant a murky murky outlook by mid-December.

From the BBC

Motherwell manager Mark McGhee: "We changed our shape today and we didn't give Thistle a lot of room. I thought we won the battles all over the park and worked very very hard.

"(Scott) McDonald always amazes you, doesn't he? He plays against all these huge defenders and he still manages to take the ball down and control it. The strikers played very well today. Equally pleasing is that we have a clean sheet for the first time this season."

I know the Dundee game at Fir Park was instantly forgettable but thought he might have remembered the clean sheet....

Clay and Lasley still give me the fear in the middle of the park but in the end a comfortable 3 points

Agree 100%.

Overall we deserved the 3 points which were very important in our position. I wasn't convinced by McGhee's line up but it did the job so credit to him. Thought that Moult, MacDonald and Cadden were the pick of the bunch with the first two in particular putting in a great shift. Ferguson and MacMillan both acquitted themselves well although the latter did look out of position, which of course he was. Samson had a reasonable game but will have been disappointed with the lack of cover in front of him which left him exposed to some 20/30 yard shots coming at him. Tait continues to improve but had a Jekyll and Hyde game. Some great defending but often caught out of position. Clay and Lasley disappointed me. They didn't shield the centre backs and the latter was guilty of some careless passing at times. After the break they both went AWOL. Our customary second half slump continues to vex me - today probably a combination of ultra cautious tactics, lack of fitness and tiredness.

No sign of Stevie Hammell or Joe Chalmers - probably not match fit. Will we see much more of Hammell? Centre midfield continues to cause us problems but we are "limping" a bit towards the January window.

Andrew Dallas made some utterly bizarre calls today but fortunately he didn't cause us any major problems.

Overall a good, if somewhat frustrating day.

* 3 points

* a clean sheet

* a top six slot

* more game time for 2 youngsters

* No obvious injuries

Happy days indeed.

I was pleasantly surprised at just how comfortable a win it was for us.

Certainly Thistle weren't at the races and their goalkeeper making a hash of things in the lead up to our first was an immense help. But no, we looked largely assured throughout and, in the first half in particular, my fears of how we were going to create our chances were a little misplaced.

When you think of the blocks from Moult, Tait's header and shot in the second half, Cadden clipping the crossbar and McDonald squaring late on it could have been even more emphatic than it was.

And when even Craig Samson has time for a little show-boating you know the afternoon is going your way!

i forgot about Samson's chest and volley. It was good skills but completely unnecessary as it was never a back pass, which made it even better.

It's always good getting a gift of a goal by the opposition. Their goalie was worse with cross balks than Samson.

Moult and McDonald were good to watch and deserved their goals. Cadden was finding space just behind them and I liked the look of him playing in that role. Clay needs to work on his shooting.

The young boys were solid on the left hand side of defence and I'd be disappointed if at least one of them doesn't start against Hearts. The two year deal we have to Hammell isn't looking like the best move at the moment.

The thistle fans seethe for Skippy was my favourite part of yesterday.

i forgot about Samson's chest and volley. It was good skills but completely unnecessary as it was never a back pass, which made it even better.

General consensus around us yesterday was, yes it was never a passback, but given the referee's unpredictable and inconsistent performance, Samson was 100% right not to trust him.

Agree 100%.

Overall we deserved the 3 points which were very important in our position. I wasn't convinced by McGhee's line up but it did the job so credit to him. Thought that Moult, MacDonald and Cadden were the pick of the bunch with the first two in particular putting in a great shift. Ferguson and MacMillan both acquitted themselves well although the latter did look out of position, which of course he was. Samson had a reasonable game but will have been disappointed with the lack of cover in front of him which left him exposed to some 20/30 yard shots coming at him. Tait continues to improve but had a Jekyll and Hyde game. Some great defending but often caught out of position. Clay and Lasley disappointed me. They didn't shield the centre backs and the latter was guilty of some careless passing at times. After the break they both went AWOL. Our customary second half slump continues to vex me - today probably a combination of ultra cautious tactics, lack of fitness and tiredness.

No sign of Stevie Hammell or Joe Chalmers - probably not match fit. Will we see much more of Hammell? Centre midfield continues to cause us problems but we are "limping" a bit towards the January window.

Andrew Dallas made some utterly bizarre calls today but fortunately he didn't cause us any major problems.

Overall a good, if somewhat frustrating day.

* 3 points

* a clean sheet

* a top six slot

* more game time for 2 youngsters

* No obvious injuries

Happy days indeed.

No surprise to see you complaining about Lasley. If he saved a child from a house fire you'd say you were disappointed he didn't get the goldfish out too.

Actually Lasley was excellent yesterday, especially in the first half when we dominated the game. He ran out of gas a bit, as a 37 year old is likely to do, but there was a reason McGhee keep him on and that's because we needed his experience and battling qualities when Partick had has pressed back for periods in the 2nd half. He proved yesterday he still has a lot to offer.

Yesterday was probably our best defensive performance of the season. Samson had very little of a serious nature to do yesterday despite Partick having more or less half the possession.

• Like 2

He's a narky wee shite, but he's *our* narky wee shite. Best game he's had for us for sometime today I thought.

I love him. He's such a deeply unpleasant player, and I love every bit of it. Kicking Barton for absolutely no reason, then not getting booked, was tremendous.

Boy walking out behind me raging saying McGhee is clueless. Says our "young boy at left back" was done after an hour and we got roasted down that side in last 30 mins.

He was one of those boys who was trying to talk anyone who would listen, not me pal.

Can't see Hammell getting his place back, McMillan looks very composed.

Craig Clay on the other hand, not a fan.

but there was a reason McGhee keep him on and that's because we needed his experience and battling qualities when Partick had has pressed back for periods in the 2nd half.

Who else do we play in central midfield just now? I always assumed that Keith Lasley would have been used sparingly this season but due to circumstances beyond our control this hasn't been possible. When Partick had us under the cosh for almost the entire second half we lacked leadership and someone to stick his chin out and get wired in 35/40 yards from goal. Had Partick had someone like Iain Vigurs (for his shooting ability only) or Callum Paterson we could easily have lost 2 or 3 goals. We've lost too many "wonder" goals this season through giving the opposition free unhindered pot shots from just outside the box. Just for the record, I thought Craig Clay also had a poor game.

Craig Clay on the other hand, not a fan.

I feel bad with negativity after what was, a really comfortable win, but I'm with you. I keep expecting him to get up to speed and offer a bit more, but I've yet to see what the guy offers us.

Everything he does looks like he's playing at a different pace, and not in the good way. Even when he's presented with a goalscoring chance, which needs a snap shot, it's a hesitant, slow choice.

I wondered if it was a confidence thing, but he's just slow.