International Call Ups

grizzlyg

I used to love international football. The World Cups of my youth, Argentina, Spain, Mexico, were periods of great joy where nothing mattered except the football.

Now? I cannot bring myself to give a toss about it and cannot see this changing. Perhaps it is just me? I have changed and it is my fault? Or maybe football has changed and I should be more than satisfied with EPL and the Champions League?  Perhaps I could support Man City or Spurs or Real Madrid and get with the programme?

• Sad 1

Still on the ` Scotland Call Up ` thread [ and unless its previously been mentioned by someone else]I dont think it is unreasonable that Aldred on his current form  could be an outside bet for a call up for the upcoming matches in Mexico and Peru.

Yup, Mc Kenna and Hendry have done well and Mulgrew is a shoe in. But there is no guarantee Celtic will let Hendry go on tour. As for the others I think Hanley has dropped down the pecking order after the Costa Rica game. Martin meantime may now have missed the boat whilst Berra and Souttar werent called up.

Our Tom is a nice age and is proving to be a reliable no nonsense type of centre back.

He`s worth a shout in my book.

Hendry, Souttar and Hanley will likely be the options for right centre half. We could be doing with some experience though to talk the young ones through the game, particularly if we go for 3 at the back.

While Cadden hasn’t developed as much as we’d have liked this season, I think he could play his way into the Peru/Mexico trip with some good performances in the upcoming high profile games. 

While Budapest showcased some of the talent we have at our disposal, right wing back is one of the few areas we lack any genuine depth in quality. 

• 1 month later...
On 29/03/2018 at 2:33 PM, livivoice said:

Still on the ` Scotland Call Up ` thread [ and unless its previously been mentioned by someone else]I dont think it is unreasonable that Aldred on his current form  could be an outside bet for a call up for the upcoming matches in Mexico and Peru.

Has he signed a pre-contract with the OF? Because that's the only way he's gonna get a nod. Murphy is a shoe in.

Heard on a podcast this week that Murphy's contract has a compulsory purchase clause.

Not sure how true that is, or what other conditions are attached to that clause, but it seems it was 'you will buy him once you've got season ticket money'

4 hours ago, scoojy said:

Heard on a podcast this week that Murphy's contract has a compulsory purchase clause.

Not sure how true that is, or what other conditions are attached to that clause, but it seems it was 'you will buy him once you've got season ticket money'

I remember the clause about the season ticket money, but I thought it was more of an option than a requirement.

Knowing Rangers, however, even if it was a requiurement, they wouldn't hesitate to break it.

I had always taken it as being a "compulsory sell" clause in that they couldn't sell him to anyone else, as opposed to a compulsory purchase.

I fully expect Rangers to have mysteriously decided against it for some reason.

16 minutes ago, Al B said:

I had always taken it as being a "compulsory sell" clause in that they couldn't sell him to anyone else, as opposed to a compulsory purchase.

I fully expect Rangers to have mysteriously decided against it for some reason.

I said at the time of the initial transfer/loan situation I'd be amazed if Murphy was still there next season - based purely on my expectation there would be a new manager with their own ideas about personnel (and no money to spend on Murphy). 

Then again, I thought there would be no way Gerrard would be stupid enough to believe the stories he'll be spun about transfer kitties and war chests, but it looks like I'll be wrong there too. I already saw the first reports about the Board begging for more investment so they could by more players. 

(I'm wrong so often, I should be a professional pundit).

• 2 weeks later...

In loan contracts there is a compulsory buy/sell contract that can be attached.  I remember hearing about it on the European Football show. 

Basically player goes on loan till x date, while agreeing terms with loaning team to officially join on y date.  The player had to play in 15 games before the clause would go through

In all fairness you can put whatever you like in a contract as long as both parties agree to it and it's legal (I know.....I know....). Who knows what that basket case of a club would suggest/ask for.

1 hour ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

Fraser has been playing wing back recently for Bournemouth and I'd imagine Scotland will potentially play with wing-backs too

Ah, fair enough. I don't think I have a seen a Bournemouth game this season.