International Call Ups

grizzlyg

Maybe a tad over ambitious but if he continues his good form do you think Dicky Tait could have a chance of reaching Scotland squad?. Loads of left back but lacking at right back. Only Paterson and Anya there and Anya more of an attacking midfielder.

No. While he has played well for us this season, he's never going to be able to play at that level. Unfortunately his lack of pace would be exploited a whole lot worse and more often at that level

I opened the thread anticipating it to be about Chris Cadden and a suggestion that he should be one of the players that Scotland introduce soon with a view to building a squad for the next campaign, I must admit I didn't expect it to be about Richard Tait.

I do think Tait us playing an increasingly important role for us the more he settles in, but for me I would say he's some distance short of being considered for a Scotland call up.

Absolutely no chance. He is, at best, a SPL standard right back.

SPL standard player could be applied to the majority of the current national side and look how well they are doing, ie utter shite so why not Tait ? Its about time Scotland tried something different instead of the current usual suspects who have constantly failed to deliver.

SPL standard player could be applied to the majority of the current national side and look how well they are doing, ie utter shite so why not Tait ? Its about time Scotland tried something different instead of the current usual suspects who have constantly failed to deliver.

So by something different you suggest we go with a lesser standard of player than at present? Tait is so far down the list of right backs to be considered for Scotland that he wouldn't even make a Scotland C side.

The only player in our side at present who has even a remote chance of playing for Scotland is Cadden. Even then he will have to go south and play regularly at a decent level to be considered.

As much as I like Tait, there's not a chance.

Paterson, Anya, Bardsley and Hutton off the top of my head would be miles ahead of him and there's probably a lot more that I can't think of at 8am on a Monday morning.

Bardsley and Hutton have ruled themselves out of playing for Scotland again as far as I know.

Tait has done well in my opinion although I wouldn't be considering him for international level at this point.

He's probably fortunate in that right back is such a problem position, but I still can't see it. Whittaker, Hutton and Bardsley are all missing for various reasons, but even with that Paterson and Anya seem to be preferred and I'm sure if the push came to the shove, Paul Caddis of Birmingham would edge into the squad before him. Even then I think Russell Martin being played as a right back is also more likely. I think Tait still looks a bit suspect defensively, but I think he has came on leaps and bounds for us in recent weeks. Maybe international football could have been in his sights had he been the same age as Paterson, but the fact he is almost 27, and probably close to as good as he'll ever be, will count against him.

For what it's worth, in my time going to Motherwell games I've shouted for this player to be called up and that player to be called up, but looking back rationally, I would say that Martyn Corrigan is the only one of those who actually deserved a cap.

Edit- seems Caddis has only played one game for Birmingham this season, so maybe not!

Good player - probably in between positions.

Going off topic, sorry, but that comment could be levelled at so many Scottish players in recent times. Faddy, Naismith, Maloney and so on... and that's just at international level. Good players, good 'forwards' but not clinical or physical enough to be a striker, not creative enough to be a 'number 10', not fast enough or a good enough crosser to play on the wing...

We don't seem to be able to produce players who are experts in a specific position. We just have players who can kind of play a number of positions.

Is that fair or am I talking shite again?

I can't say I've ever really considered it at international to be honest but certainly at our level where budgets are perhaps more limited then a player with versatility is usually always well received. Some of my favourite Motherwell players like John Philliben and Martyn Corrigan were comfortable in more than one position for example. I suppose given the paucity of options in most positions Scotland have then I guess that isn't much of a surprise that flexibility is utilised.

As an aside, nice to see you posting again Stu!

Going off topic, sorry, but that comment could be levelled at so many Scottish players in recent times. Faddy, Naismith, Maloney and so on... and that's just at international level. Good players, good 'forwards' but not clinical or physical enough to be a striker, not creative enough to be a 'number 10', not fast enough or a good enough crosser to play on the wing...

We don't seem to be able to produce players who are experts in a specific position. We just have players who can kind of play a number of positions.

No, you're not talking shite. Sadly the 'out and out strikers' available for Scotland are just not to the required standard at that level.

I agree, Scotland appear to have a lot of decent middle to front players, but without having a Robbie Keane or a Gareth Bale type talisman.

Truth be told, we don't even have a Kyle Laugherty, but our real weakness is centre half!!!