Scottish Premiership Motherwell V Celtic Sat 3 Dec 12:15

Yabba's Turd

We didn't have the legs in the team or the options on the bench to get anything from the match. Losing the winner so late was a sore one but it was always coming after Armstrong scored.

There were lots of positives though. McDonald, Moult and Cadden will win us games if they all stay fit. McLean showed composure and aggression and gives us a more balanced look. McManus was immense and the defence played well, all four of the goals came from the midfield not picking up.

Get Pearson and another midfield option in in january and we might be onto a decent second half of the season.

Just woke up to see thsi result. Having missed the game I also missed all the emotion but I can understand some of the negative ( perhaps disspointed ) comments. However, regardless of how you feel, although the outcome is still no points, this is a damn site better than 7-0 or 5-0.

edit: just saw that Celtic hadn't conceded a domestic goal since Sept. So no mean feat to get 3.

Rotten. We've conceded 4 second half goals at home, we've led 2 nil at half time and capitulated against a side who's defence was all over the place for the entire game.

I hate to say it, but Lasley is finished, simply chased shadows and gave the ball away today.

I think you should add Hammel McManus and Samson to the list

Absolutely gutted, put enough into the game to get the point at least. It's so hard to have a pop at the boys but some of the space Celtic were afforded in the second half was crazy and we paid the price in the end for it. So so deflating

As mentioned before we pressed the life out of Celtic in the first half hour and as a consequence were always going to pay for it the last quarter. We are not the most mobile in midfield at the best of times either, so it's no surprise we ran out of steam at the end

We didn't have the legs in the team or the options on the bench to get anything from the match. Losing the winner so late was a sore one but it was always coming after Armstrong scored.

There were lots of positives though. McDonald, Moult and Cadden will win us games if they all stay fit. McLean showed composure and aggression and gives us a more balanced look. McManus was immense and the defence played well, all four of the goals came from the midfield not picking up.

Get Pearson and another midfield option in in january and we might be onto a decent second half of the season.

Completely agree with this. We got more and more tired and as such stood off them more and simultaneously they got better.

OK we should have defended better at crucial times when Celtic scored but the players gave us just about everything today.

Regardless of the result, we showed Celtic up today.

And I'll tell you something. I'd rather watch my team lose like we did today to a team with 20 times more resources, than scrap a win against a team with 20 times fewer resources than us.

Proud to be a Well fan.

• Like 2

Could'nt fault first half . We went at them and played further up the park than is the usual. Second half individual errors cost us, we could all see that with the ball watching and poor positioning. The players never backed each other up and went back to the usual playing on our 18 yard line which invited a team with the players Celtic to attack us relentlessly and resulted in our suicidal second half performance. Bitterly disappointed.

As much as that felt like a thunder strike to the baws at the end, there were many positives today, Cadden was immense, absolutely humiliated Izigueri.... the lad McLean did well and the other youngster McMillan looked a prospect when he came on.

I find it difficult to criticise the likes of Lasley because the effort the guy puts in is incredible, however, his limitations become more apparent week after week. It will need sorted.

Horrible seeing that bunch celebrate at the end but at least Mcghee has stirred them up by having a dig at their backroom team.....we can always really on McGhee for a petty underhand snipe after a defeat.

on an extremely annoying level, Brown......how many cynical challenges does that guy need to make before he gets booked....shocking

Sometimes this game surpasses our expectations and is one of the premier fixtures of the season. There's always a fighter's chance we turn them over, there's also the chance we are humiliated on our own midden.

Game on.

Still gutted to lose that game but we invited that shot from Rogic, a very promising performance.

Patrick Roberts must have thought it was his birthday up against Hammell. Space he was given was ridiculous. Hate criticising but Lasley also can't last at this level. To go 3-2up and lose straight away. Also did nobody watch Rogic last week?? Same goal as last week. On plus side we were great up front and Big Mick first half was immense.

Agree with all of that. Celtic targetted Hammell from the off and took full advantage of his weaknesses. His positioning throughout the game was very poor and what on earth was doing at Celtic's 2nd? Still, he did create our 3rd goal. In fairness he alone didn't cause our downfall.

We played well in the first half and deserved our 2-0 lead. Moult, McManus and Cadden showed up very well with the former taking his goals very well. Pity Cadden didn't receive the support he deserved when making surging runs. Celtic were clearly vulnerable when under attack.

It was a blow when Cadden retired injured early in the second half and that clearly affected us. In the second half we simply disappeared and defended deeper and deeper and it was surprising that Celtic took so long to overtake us. Ainsworth's goal apart we did nothing of note and our defending was abysmal with Celtic finding gaps in our defence without even having to try. I thought though that McManus and Heneghan (error apart) stood up to Celtic well although Lasley, Clay, Tait and Hammell, were poor. Again we lacked fight, leadership and aggression in the middle. Luck didn't go our way when Kevin Clancy failed to punish Toure for a bit of wrestling in the box.

Mistakes were also made off the field. I didn't understand why MacLean was hooked for MacMillan. An attacking player off and a defensive on at 3-3??? By all means bring MacMillan on ...for Hammell or Thomas on for ...MacLean though.

Before kick off I'd have settled for a 4-3 defeat but given we took a first half lead of 2-0 it was very disappointing to capitulate with a barely a whimper. It really is a concern that we can't seem to play for more than 45 minutes.

• Like 1

Great game but gutted with the way it finished.

We were excellent in first half and Celtic didnt really threaten us. That first Moult goal was beautiful.

2nd half a different story, they changed their formation and we seemed content to sit back and let them pick us apart.

Thats a right kick in the baws. Only silver lining for me was sticking £2on Moult scoring 2 or more goals at 55/1!

• Like 2

Watched it on SkyPlus after playing myself today and it was a real real sickener to lose such a late goal. Last minute defeats to both sides of the Old Firm this season now. As discussed I thought we were very very good today, 3 great goals but all 7 were a result of minging defending. Kolo Toure had an absolute mare against Louis Moult today.

A real shame as we looked well capable of going on and winning at HT :(

Despite the defeat I actually quite enjoyed the game. At 3-2 I foolishly thought that we were going to win it. However, we couldnt hold the lead for long enough to worry Celtic.

At 2-0 up I thought we would lose the game. I am not a pessimist as such. I just have seen it so many times before.

Can't argue with the effort and we know we have some right good players in Moult, Skippy, Cadden, Henaghan etc. Problem is we have some players whose best days are behind them. That is what happens when you are running on a fairly meagre budget. Also does not help when 2 of our better midfielders are injured in McHugh and Lucas. The latter permanently it would seem.

Hammell and Lasley have been FANTASTIC players for us and I would rarely if ever call them names or abuse them as such. They do not deserve it imho. BUT this season is proving to be a challenge for them. To the point I would rather have Chalmers at left back given his early season form. Lasley was not solely to blame for the 2nd and 4th goals but his ability to move swiftly to close down or block Armstrongs cross for 2nd and Rogic shot for the 4th ultimately cost us.

4-3.was closer than I expected and only hope that we can kick on for the rest of December starting with Kille at home next week.

• Like 1

Feel some are harsh by saying we capitulated in the second half. I think the main difference is Celtic turned up in the second half, they never in the first.

The players gave it their all today, but for some, it's no longer at the required standard. Keith Lasley is finished. He's been a superb servant, but he was toyed with today by Celtic's midfield. The amount of times he gave away possession as well was criminal.

Still, there were positives to take from today. Yes, it's a sore one but if we play like that against any other team in Scotland we'll win no bother. So let's make sure we do that starting from next week against Kilmarnock. It's going to be tight as fuck in the bottom six this season.

• Like 1

I'm old, so even at 2-0, I expected an onslaught we would struggle to contain. I also felt, on hearing the team, that MacMillan (for all his youth) would have combatted Celtic's pace better than Hammell.

In rugby, a missed tackle is statistically significant. Lasley, Hammell and Clay (can anyone tell me of a tackle or contribution he made?) ended up on this list and it cost us dear. The first two have the get-out clause of having been great club players. I just feel the future is our younger players.

Moult was great today (first goal technically breath-taking), and was gutted at the end.. Young MacLean was fearless: he mugged the whingeing Rogic brilliantly and his cross for the second goal was a beauty. Don't know why he was subbed. Well done, young man. And Cadds was his usual breenging self, and almost made another for The Moultinator.

Finally, thanks to The Bois for a great tribute to the dead on the Brazilian plane crash. A great touch not emulated by the "greatest fans in the world". Gladdened the heart of this old dinosaur.

Still proud to be a 'Well fan.

Don't know if it was or not but it looked like another referring howler today when the Celtic player after receiving treatment was told to leave the pitch and didn't.

It looked like he just ignored the instruction and just continued and neither the referee or assistant did anything about it.

You don't need to leave the pitch if the opposing player involved in the incident has been booked. So the Celtic player was entitled to stay on the park.