Scottish Premiership Motherwell V Celtic Sat 3 Dec 12:15

Yabba's Turd

I know McGhee not popular with many but you have to give him credit for not being afraid to throw in the youngsters. MacLean great today and cadden just best better and better. If only we had an option at centre mid so we don't need to rely on las. Him and Hammell been legends but I fear time catching up on them and it shows. And if rebels is worth 20 million what price on Louis????

On the rules. If Lasley headers the ball forward near the 18 yard 'D',

(a) is the guy near the corner flag offside?

(b) WTF!

© did I miss something five minutes earlier?

The boy that took the short corner was offside when it was played back to him

Also I was gutted after game but having just watched highlights it's worse!!! The goals we lost were criminal and more frustrating that 3 of goals were from experienced players. Here's hoping against Killie we can bounce back

I was working today and was so busy I wasn't even able to follow the game.

Who was culpable for the goals then?

Who was culpable for the goals then?

I thought Lionel was culpable for the all important 4th. He appeared to attempt to flick the ball over the Celtic players leg in a position where he had no right to do so. This resulted in the Celtic attack which lead to the winning goal. He should have just kicked and chased it.

• Like 1

Skippy.....Hammell.....heneghan.......lasley. just my opinion as a few others need to take blame. Hate to be critical as hey worked so hard. Just gutted as would live to see Arrogant FC brought down a peg

Someone else said that they "feel dirty" criticising Lasley and Hammell and I agree but they're costing us goals, and therefore points, left right and centre.

If we stick with them this season there's only one place we're heading.

• Like 1

Someone else said that they "feel dirty" criticising Lasley and Hammell and I agree but they're costing us goals, and therefore points, left right and centre.

I would expect McHugh, when fit, to take over from Lasley and I hope MacMillan or Chalmers will be preferred to Hammell, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Thinks it's beyond doubt that Hammell and Lasley are no longer capable of being integral players at this level. Combine their ageing legs with the lack of quality from Clay, Samson and Tait (to a lesser extent) and we are always going to lose a shedload of goals.

McGhee is doing a very decent job but he got a lot wrong in the summer.

• Like 1

I would expect McHugh, when fit, to take over from Lasley and I hope MacMillan or Chalmers will be preferred to Hammell, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

You'd be right not holding your breath because McMillan has done nothing to deserve being dropped and yet has been.

I really want to believe that the only reason Lasley and Clay being ever presents is because McHugh and Lucas have been injured.

• Like 1

Yet, just to play devil's advocate, the cross for Ainsworth's goal showed exactly what Hammell can do going forward. Do we get as good a delivery from either Chalmers or McMillan?

Hammell's defensive form is definitely a worry though.

Gutted to lose that one today, but the level of performance was heartening. Against lesser teams it's likely we wouldn't have been punished as severely for our mistakes. If we can keep that level of performance up for the next few weeks, we can definitely pick up some much needed results.

The boy that took the short corner was offside when it was played back to him

WTF was the short corner shit all about BTW!!?

Of the three corners we won McDonald took two short which resulted in the ball ending up at the half way line only for Lasley to over hit a long diagonal, and for the second McDonald was caught offside when the ball was laid back to him as Celtic had no one on the post or line. The only decent corner we had was from a direct Ainsworth cross and we nearly scored from the resulting header.

Their centre halfs were having a mare, especially Toure. Why not throw the ball in and ask the question? Stuff like this really annoys me about us.

I'm sure we won more than 3 corners, did McManus not get booked at one?

Official stats say 3, although I remember the incident in question as it was never an elbow on Brown (one of many incidents he over egged big time).

The point still stands though, don't refuse the opportunity to get the ball in the box as they're not as good as they're made out to be.

McGhee is doing a very decent job but he got a lot wrong in the summer.

I go along with that. I seem to recall someone on here saying that Stevie Hammell, when offered vastly reduced terms was being touted to lower Premiership clubs but none took the bait. However its midfield where mistakes were made and it really has been a shambles this year. In fairness, McHugh's absence could not have been foreseen.

It didn't take a brain surgeon to work out that Keith Lasley, at 37, would struggle and that the loss of Pearo and possibly Marvin Johnson would tear our midfield apart. Instead we witnessed a piecemeal ad hoc approach to rebuilding this critical area of the team.

I have to be honest, I just cannot agree with all of the negative posts and allegations of capitulation and surrender. I know it hurts and people are gutted, but a wee bit of objectivity goes a long way.

That is a very limited Motherwell side but I thought they made an excellent account of themselves. Indeed, we've gained 2 new fans after today.

I watched the game with a fellow exile Well fan, a gillingham fan and a Crystal Palace fan and the two neutrals were both massively impressed with Louise and Cadds in particular and with the manner in which our team went about the first half. Our half time discussion was all about how the first fifteen after the break were crucial and how we'd be put to the sword by a Celtic team who inevitably would have much more in the tank than a high pressing Motherwell. We even optimistically discussed how Motherwell may be able to score more on the counter.

I don't think we were terribly far from the truth and to say that the team sat back or capitulated is at best the emotion talking or just simply claret and amber tinted total bollocks. The reality is that Celtic upped their game, we tired, had poorer subs than them and in the end, we were overwhelmed.

To make Ainsworth a scapegoat? To blame McGhee for substitutions when it was his tactics and obvious motivation of the team that got us our 2-0 lead? Really? Stevie Hammells age isn't why he was slack at the back, he's NEVER been as good at the back as he was going forward, he's always stood off too much. Heneghan made one mistake in failing to pick up a runner and it cost us, but don't forget, this is his first season at a higher level and he was up against some experienced and talented forwards with hours of international, europa and champions league experience. But yeah, lets hang him and all the others out to dry.

Fuck me!!!! There were many more positives than negatives from today, yet everybody wants to be Alan Hansen on benzo's.

For the two neutrals watching with us, they bloody loved the game for all of its guile and suspense. When we scored the third, they were jumping aboot my hoose like life long well fans. Yet, at the death, they just could not get their head around why the east stand was almost deserted and that the Motherwell fans did not stay on to applaud their team. My Well supporting mates poignant reply was "aye well, that's Motherwell fur ye, naebody does miserable better than us"

• Like 10

I have to be honest, I just cannot agree with all of the negative posts and allegations of capitulation and surrender. I know it hurts and people are gutted, but a wee bit of objectivity goes a long way.

That is a very limited Motherwell side but I thought they made an excellent account of themselves. Indeed, we've gained 2 new fans after today.

I watched the game with a fellow exile Well fan, a gillingham fan and a Crystal Palace fan and the two neutrals were both massively impressed with Louise and Cadds in particular and with the manner in which our team went about the first half. Our half time discussion was all about how the first fifteen after the break were crucial and how we'd be put to the sword by a Celtic team who inevitably would have much more in the tank than a high pressing Motherwell. We even optimistically discussed how Motherwell may be able to score more on the counter.

I don't think we were terribly far from the truth and to say that the team sat back or capitulated is at best the emotion talking or just simply claret and amber tinted total bollocks. The reality is that Celtic upped their game, we tired, had poorer subs than them and in the end, we were overwhelmed.

To make Ainsworth a scapegoat? To blame McGhee for substitutions when it was his tactics and obvious motivation of the team that got us our 2-0 lead? Really? Stevie Hammells age isn't why he was slack at the back, he's NEVER been as good at the back as he was going forward, he's always stood off too much. Heneghan made one mistake in failing to pick up a runner and it cost us, but don't forget, this is his first season at a higher level and he was up against some experienced and talented forwards with hours of international, europa and champions league experience. But yeah, lets hang him and all the others out to dry.

Fuck me!!!! There were many more positives than negatives from today, yet everybody wants to be Alan Hansen on benzo's.

For the two neutrals watching with us, they bloody loved the game for all of its guile and suspense. When we scored the third, they were jumping aboot my hoose like life long well fans. Yet, at the death, they just could not get their head around why the east stand was almost deserted and that the Motherwell fans did not stay on to applaud their team. My Well supporting mates poignant reply was "aye well, that's Motherwell fur ye, naebody does miserable better than us"

jShr8wkP38XTO.gif

• Like 1

Very disappointed by the result, which has to be a good thing. We should never be happy with a loss, especially at home. This takes nothing away from a spirited performance, it just grates to score three against them and walk away with nothing. Plenty of positives to build on though but we are at the stage where this has to be backed up in the next two or three matches. Do that and we will pick up points and move towards safety, which has to be our priority this season. Really hope that, going forward, the likes of McHugh and a returning Pearson, can make a difference.

Anyone know if the wee ball boy is alright. Looked lucky he wasn't hit with the pyro from the Celtic end. Exploded right at him and one of the stewards had to take him away.

Hope he's ok!

Thanks for your concern. He is okay. He was checked out by medical people. It just landed at his side, he fell off his wee stool and fell into the hoardings. He got a fright thou. So did I when it went off and I was sitting in the cooper stand.

Was a similar incident to what happened to lewandowski in Poland v Romania last month but cracker was close enough to the wee man that the ash landed on his head!

On a positive, Celtic gave him a signed top of browns jersey that he wore that day and a match ball.

Our players need to stop surrendering possession, our ball retention is shocking and continually caused us to invite pressure. The beggars gave a lesson to us on that aspect yesterday and we'd do well to try and replicate that. I know our players are not as good as theirs but we need to learn to look after the ball.

I thought Lionel was culpable for the all important 4th. He appeared to attempt to flick the ball over the Celtic players leg in a position where he had no right to do so. This resulted in the Celtic attack which lead to the winning goal. He should have just kicked and chased it.

Not having that, he was trying to get us into a position to try and win the game. The bit of skill he was trying just didn't come off and I'll never bring down a player that tries to do that. The goal was more about the defence giving Rogic acres of space at the edge of the box to ping one in.

So easy for people to blame Ainsworth constantly on here, the guys a hero when he makes it 3-2 but absolute villain when we lose, ridiculous

• Like 7