Scottish Cup - Fourth Round Rangers V Motherwell Sat 21 Jan 12:30

Toxteth O'Grady

Forget it, we are already out. We havent done cups since 1991. We even produced a strip to gently remind all the players we have had since then. :ph34r:

That's not exactly true though, is it? We've reached two cup finals and numerous semi finals since then, which I would class as doing well in cups. We haven't consistently done well in the cups from one season to the next, and have had some epic disappointments, especially since the 2011 final, but we've had some good cup runs in the last 25 years.

• Like 1

That's not exactly true though, is it? We've reached two cup finals and numerous semi finals since then, which I would class as doing well in cups. We haven't consistently done well in the cups from one season to the next, and have had some epic disappointments, especially since the 2011 final, but we've had some good cup runs in the last 25 years.

Aye but I reckon you can see his point? Seeing the likes of Ross County, ICT, St Mirren and Killie winning trophies in the past few years when we've had much much stronger squads to pick from. It certainly sticks in my throat especially when our teams from 2010-2014 deserved a trophy

As far as the Scottish Cup goes, since winning the cup in 1991 we've reached 2 semis (2003 and 2011) and 1 final (2011). I dont know how many quarter finals have been reached in that period but our attempts at cup runs in the past 25 years have in the main been pretty pathetic.

The exits which I remember being particularly painful were v Dundee Utd in 1994 after a replay, v Ayr Utd in 2000, v Dundee in 2007, v Aberdeen 2012 AND 2013 and of course Albion Rovers 2014.

All of the above because we had a team those years capable of doing something.

• Like 1

The exits which I remember being particularly painful were v Dundee Utd in 1994 after a replay, v Ayr Utd in 2000, v Dundee in 2007, v Aberdeen 2012 AND 2013 and of course Albion Rovers 2014.

That was a bastard. We later signed Neil Tarrant on loan on the basis of that one game, I'm sure. Unsurprisingly, he was shite and we'd have been better off with Chris Tarrant.

I'd add Inverness in 2004. I think it was a quarter-final, and we were at home to a then First Division side. Gordon Marshall gets lobbed from about 30 yards early doors, and they shut up shop for the rest of the game. I was absolutely fuming walking home after that one.

• Like 1

That was a bastard. We later signed Neil Tarrant on loan on the basis of that one game, I'm sure. Unsurprisingly, he was shite and we'd have been better off with Chris Tarrant.

I'd add Inverness in 2004. I think it was a quarter-final, and we were at home to a then First Division side. Gordon Marshall gets lobbed from about 30 yards early doors, and they shut up shop for the rest of the game. I was absolutely fuming walking home after that one.

Cheers, had forgotten about that one!

Inverness put us out in 2010 and last year also!!

Aye but I reckon you can see his point? Seeing the likes of Ross County, ICT, St Mirren and Killie winning trophies in the past few years when we've had much much stronger squads to pick from. It certainly sticks in my throat especially when our teams from 2010-2014 deserved a trophy

I know what you mean, but I think writing off the last 25 years completely is a bit of an exaggeration. That was all I was saying. Given some of the squads we've had since McGhee's first spell I'm disappointed too that we haven't won any silverware. It's the nature of cup football though, that it gives unfashionable, lower quality (in comparison to most of your big city clubs) teams the chance to win based on a handful of performances.

I miss a day out at Hampden though, must be about time for at least a semi final soon, right?

Just to cheer myself up I listed every year and the team that knocked us out since winning it in 1991. I only needed to consult the Internet once to confirm a result, 2006 since you asked, when apparently St Mirren, fucking St Mirren, beat us 3-0 at Love Street. I honestly don't remember that game!

Anyway, Rangers and Celtic have only put us out 5 times in 25 years! Meaning we've nearly always been eliminated by at best our peers and at worst lower league or lesser teams! The list makes grim reading. To give you an idea, between 2004 and 2010 we were put out by Inverness (twice!) Kilmarnock, St Mirren (twice!), Dundee, and St Johnstone!

I think since 1991 we've reached 1 final, 2 semis, 4 quarter finals and the rest all just 3rd or 4th rounds.

Just to cheer myself up I listed every year and the team that knocked us out since winning it in 1991. I only needed to consult the Internet once to confirm a result, 2006 since you asked, when apparently St Mirren, fucking St Mirren, beat us 3-0 at Love Street. I honestly don't remember that game!

Charlie Adam scored twice that day IIRC. Marc Corcoran (yes, really!) ran riot down the left wing and had Martyn Corrigan on toast.

I used to really enjoy going to Love Street. Not that day.

Just to cheer myself up I listed every year and the team that knocked us out since winning it in 1991.

Not going to look at the Internet either, and will give this a bash...

1992 - Rangers (a)

1993 - Rangers (h)

1994 - Dundee Utd (h)

1995 - ??

1996 - Aberdeen (h)

1997 - Dundee Utd (a)

1998 - Rangers (a)

1999 - St. Johnstone (h) ??

2000 - Ayr Utd - (h)

2001 - Dundee Utd (h) ??

2002 - Dunfermline (a)

2003 - Rangers (n)

2004 - Inverness (h)

2005 - Kilmarnock (a)

2006 - St. Mirren (a)

2007 - St. Johnstone (h)

2008 - Dundee (h)

2009 - St. Mirren (a)

2010 - Inverness (a)

2011 - Celtic (n)

2012 - Aberdeen (h)

2013 - Aberdeen (h)

2014 - Albion Rovers (a)

2015 - Dundee Utd (h)

2016 - Inverness (h)

Can't think of the 1995 one, as well as a couple of 'I think those are right' at the turn of the century.

Charlie Adam scored twice that day IIRC. Marc Corcoran (yes, really!) ran riot down the left wing and had Martyn Corrigan on toast.

If my memory serves me correctly we were due that. They had taken us to extra-time in the League Cup there earlier in the season and we were quite fortunate to scrape past them that night (I can't mind if Darren Smith scored as a 16 year old subby but he had a significant contribution) but they certainly didn't miss us when we got them in the Scottish Cup. The first of a series of some horrible results against them in Cup competitions.

But it does bring back memories of how much potential Love Street had for an away day. A doddle to get there on the train and loads of pubs in the vicinity.

No wonder I had wiped that from all memory! Now I remember! I was there that day! What a horror show it was!

Can't think of the 1995 one, as well as a couple of 'I think those are right' at the turn of the century.

Hibs at Easter Road? I have memories of being behind the goals as we were knocked out the Cup there.

And I could be miles out here but I'm sure the game was indirectly mentioned in an adaptation of an Irvine Welsh short story The Granton Star Cause either a line of commentary from the game or someone talking about how he "blasts the ball past the Murrawell goalie". The fucking shit that sticks in my head!

• Like 1