Scottish Cup - Fourth Round Rangers V Motherwell Sat 21 Jan 12:30

Toxteth O'Grady

It's difficult to win a cup and regardless of who you are, you need a slice of luck along the way. If you look back to our last success:

- Stevie Kirk scored his direct free kick against Aberdeen when Wee Tommy had told him to go to the back post.

- We could easily have lost against Morton at Cappielow and had to win the lottery of a penalty shootout

- Took 2 bites of the cherry to beat Celtic, and were lucky to be only 1 goal down at half time in the replay

- Were fortunate not to be at least 1 goal down (one off the post, one offside) in the final before we opened the scoring

And that's just a few off the top of my head. That's not to say we didn't deserve to win it - but any one of those breaks going the other way and it could have been another hard luck story.

Was that the day there were some skirmishes in our end behind the goals and a steward fell backwards over the benches? It was Easter Road - it could pretty much have been any game from those days!

Yip, there was a bit of bother in our end that day.

Going way back, the defeat at Ibrox in 1992 when we were the holders was particularly hard to take. 1-0 up at half-time, only to succumb to two late goals (I'm sure one of them was greatly assisted by a jammy deflection in the build up). I also remember the abuse Neil Simpson was subjected to that day was horrendous.

Rangers at Hampden in the 2003 semi was another time when the better team lost. I remember Pearson was outstanding that day. And of course there was that Clarkson sitter at 2-1 on the stoke of half-time :cry:

Just to cheer myself up I listed every year and the team that knocked us out since winning it in 1991. I only needed to consult the Internet once to confirm a result, 2006 since you asked, when apparently St Mirren, fucking St Mirren, beat us 3-0 at Love Street. I honestly don't remember that game!

Anyway, Rangers and Celtic have only put us out 5 times in 25 years! Meaning we've nearly always been eliminated by at best our peers and at worst lower league or lesser teams! The list makes grim reading. To give you an idea, between 2004 and 2010 we were put out by Inverness (twice!) Kilmarnock, St Mirren (twice!), Dundee, and St Johnstone!

I think since 1991 we've reached 1 final, 2 semis, 4 quarter finals and the rest all just 3rd or 4th rounds.

A 'Charlie Adams' inspired St Mirren and they ripped us a new one that afternoon - as a First Division side too IIRC.

Sorry see that's already been commented on - that'll teach me to refresh/read before replying.

Was that the day there were some skirmishes in our end behind the goals and a steward fell backwards over the benches? It was Easter Road - it could pretty much have been any game from those days!

Yes it was - in the day's when we took really big travelling supports to cup ties - we also had the end section closest to the main stand at ER that day as well. IIRC steward ended up with a broken leg. Skirmishes were amongst the fans and stewards though - no Hibees involved. We took a panning in the press for that.

Usually look forward to the cup draws but I've just got a feeling this year we'll get a really shite draw and be knocked out in this round. It'll be something like Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen away.

Fingers crossed for Forres Mechanics or Edinburgh City at home though!

I know what you mean, but I think writing off the last 25 years completely is a bit of an exaggeration. That was all I was saying. Given some of the squads we've had since McGhee's first spell I'm disappointed too that we haven't won any silverware. It's the nature of cup football though, that it gives unfashionable, lower quality (in comparison to most of your big city clubs) teams the chance to win based on a handful of performances.

I miss a day out at Hampden though, must be about time for at least a semi final soon, right?

No this season