Scottish Cup - Fourth Round Rangers V Motherwell Sat 21 Jan 12:30

Toxteth O'Grady

Since then they have paid out big wages to Barton and Kranjcar and paid fees for various other players including 1.5 million for James Garner.

I'm sure they will want to cement 2nd place this term and show to the supporters that they mean business so I can see them spending in January.

Personally though I see a defender or a striker being more of a priority than a midfielder. They have plenty of midfielders currently.

They spent money they didn't have on those players because they thought they could win the league. That's gone for this season and they now need to cut their losses. They need to bring money in before they can spend money. Also, I very much doubt that they paid anywhere near £1.5 million for Garner.

They spent money they didn't have on those players because they thought they could win the league. That's gone for this season and they now need to cut their losses. They need to bring money in before they can spend money. Also, I very much doubt that they paid anywhere near £1.5 million for Garner.

Maybe some of their fans, whose that aren't deep thinkers, or indeed, even shallow thinkers, thought they could win the league but I don't think anyone with any vestige of intelligence thought they could.

The uncomfortable truth is they have done a lot better than many, including myself, thought they would. Their back to back wins over Aberdeen and Hearts puts them firmly now as Scotland's next best club, especially with Aberdeen hitting a fairly dodgy patch right now and Hearts mediocre away form (and potentially risky managerial appointment).

I believe the transfer fee for Garner was publicly quoted at 1.43 million.

With 45,000 home fans they should be generating at least 1 million every home match but I realise Rangers is an emotive subject and people believe what they want to believe.

Sadly you are kidding yourself if you think Rangers can't afford Cadden. St. Johnstone supporters said the same over O'Halloran.

They are sitting second in the league, will probably be back in European competition next year, have just saved a huge sum cutting Barton out the pay roll and will likely sell Waghorn for a decent fee in the window. Probably one of those is enough to raise the sort of money they'd be looking to make a realistic bid for Cadden.

The impediments to the transfer will be 1 - Do Rangers want him, 2 - Does Cadden want to go there and 3 - Do we need to sell?

1. They most likely won't be back playing European Football as they don't qualify for a licence based on their loss making business model and inability to have their accounts signed off.

2. They saved a slight amount on what Barton would've earned over the duration of his contract, however having to pay a lump sum to him has stretched their already weak finances yet again hence the requirement for even more loans that weren't factored for.

3. Who is realistically going to pay significant money for a reserve striker at Rangers? One goal in 9 league games so far is hardly grounds for a bank busting transfer, if anything it proves his level was/is around the Scottish Championship. Absolutely no one is going to be parting with anything resembling the cash that Rangers will require to buy Cadden, they'd struggle to get him even if they sold 4 or 5 of their first 11.

Whether they can or choose to afford it or not...I don't think Rangers would pay another Scottish team what we would be hoping to receive for a talent like Cadden who has 2 1/2 years to run on his contract. We are in a bit of a stronger position than St Johnstone with O'Halloran (who had 18 months left) and only really had the winter and summer 16 transfer windows to get any value.

• Like 1

Didn't he say he wasn't going to do an Erwin? If so, does he think he'd walk straight into that Rangers side and command a starting place every week.

I think most will agree that while Rangers don't have players of top quality they have a number who outrank most in the league outside Celtic, the issue with them this season has been competing coherently as a team and underperforming.

Over 2 years left on his current contract i would like to think we would start the bidding at 3 times that amount, that would be the sort of cash we could not refuse.

I'm Cadden's biggest fan but you are getting a bit carried away there.

He needs to add quite a bit to his game to worth that much, goals for a start. I don't know if he is especially technically gifted either. Would be looking for something between 500k - 1m depending on a whole host of factors.

We have to produce really exceptional players to get into seven figure territory.

1. They most likely won't be back playing European Football as they don't qualify for a licence based on their loss making business model and inability to have their accounts signed off.

2. They saved a slight amount on what Barton would've earned over the duration of his contract, however having to pay a lump sum to him has stretched their already weak finances yet again hence the requirement for even more loans that weren't factored for.

3. Who is realistically going to pay significant money for a reserve striker at Rangers? One goal in 9 league games so far is hardly grounds for a bank busting transfer, if anything it proves his level was/is around the Scottish Championship. Absolutely no one is going to be parting with anything resembling the cash that Rangers will require to buy Cadden, they'd struggle to get him even if they sold 4 or 5 of their first 11.

Time will tell.

I'd honest prefer if you were right.

We DON'T need to sell anyone in January this was confirmed at AGM so all our current squad will stay together until at least the summer barring an offer we simply cant refuse in January which at the moment isn't on the table. I could see maybe one or two squad players moved out and others brought in to replace them but nothing major to our key players.

Absolutely right.

It's offer we cant refuse territory for Cadden in the next 2 windows I would say no matter the suitor. I also can't see him sticking a transfer request in to go to an Oxford. Great position to be in.

Maybe not Oxford but if the likes of Rangers, Celtic, Brighton or Leeds put in a decent offer, his head would probably be turned and understandably so.

I've been a huge fan of Cadden since watching him semi regularly for the u20s but I think a move to England would be too early just now. He has all the attributes to be a cracking player but he needs to keep improving his final ball. Once he nails that, he's capable of notching 10-15 goals and assists a season in Scotland. Hopefully that's at Motherwell but wouldn't be surprised to see him at Rangers or Celtic.

I'd be very very surprised if he goes to Rangers or Celtic. He's a well advised lad.

I think any move is too early right now to be honest. He will keep improving window to window and if stays fit I could see some decent bids in the summer.

He will still be a Well player in Feb unless we get an exceptional bid.

• Like 1

At the risk of tempting fate I'd be surprised if he went to either Rangers or Celtic on the basis that we rarely seem to do business with either. When was the last time we actually sold a key player (or any player for that matter) who was under contract to either side? McDonald? Slane moving to their youth side? Law was out of contract when he moved to the new club.

Compare that with the number of our "best" players who have been "linked" with a move to either cheek. Most recently Johnson was apparently "attracting interest" from both and ended up at Oxford FFS. Rather than trading with rivals the majority of our transfer business seems to be done with sides south of the border these days, it's almost as if it's a preference or policy of the club not to sell their best players to a team in the same league.

That said, if this thread is just general speculation on "would Chris Cadden sign sign for Sevco or Celtic?" then please crack on though it seems a bit of a weird way to spend your time tbqh.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm usually the world's biggest pessimist when it comes to these games (probably because we went years without winning one), but I think we are going to grind out a win this time. Moult and Skippy taking the lead and Lionel doing a turn.