Belic

Wellfan84

Yeah there certainly seems to be something strange going on. I seem to remember some comments on one of the MFC Mixlr commentary suggesting we won't see him in a Motherwell shirt.

Maybe he's secured a permanent move somewhere from West Ham in January and isn't played incase he picks up an injury and scuppers the move? Doesn't really explain why he's still here though.

Some of the more in the know posters did say early on he wouldn't be seen in a well shirt.

As it was a short term loan done on at the end of the window I am assuming (maybe wrongly) there was little to no financial impact on us. So not overly worried but it is odd.

More worrying is the lack of appearances by Blyth given he is here longer term. Not on the bench, not playing in the 20s....

There's no mystery with Belic. Everyone who has seen him play says he is well below the standard required.

Blyth looked sub Casagolda in his sub appearances. Bowman doesn't look too clever either.

Belic I can't really comment on as he hasn't played any first team matches and I missed his U20 foray.

Blyth has only played about 40mins of first team football. So, I don't particularly want to judge him solely on that. Many players have taken more than 40mins to show what they are about.

That said, one thing for sure is they must not be doing enough in training - be it their skill, fitness or mindset. Or all 3.

• Like 1

Not just Belic, I seen someone mention on p&b that 6 of McGhees 9 summer signings didn't kick a ball on Saturday. It's the same most weeks.

That's a lot of players signed and picking up a salary that aren't contributing. If we want to bring anyone in in Jenuary a few will need to move on.

I generally think that anything around fifty percent success rate with new signings is pretty good for a manager. The problem now is the transfer window as, in the past, a player who was not cutting the mustard could be quickly and quietly moved on whereas now they have to wait it out and then have only limited time to get sorted in a period of frenetic activity when loads of guys are looking for new clubs and contracts. Just another change to the transfer/contract situation that doesn't really seem to work in favour of a club our size.

• Like 1

I generally think that anything around fifty percent success rate with new signings is pretty good for a manager. The problem now is the transfer window as, in the past, a player who was not cutting the mustard could be quickly and quietly moved on whereas now they have to wait it out and then have only limited time to get sorted in a period of frenetic activity when loads of guys are looking for new clubs and contracts. Just another change to the transfer/contract situation that doesn't really seem to work in favour of a club our size.

Also, given the injuries and the start/stop nature of the league so far it's been difficult for the new guys to esablish any sort of consistency. He has also given some of the U20s game time, so difficult to complain about that.

Like you say, though, 50% would be a good return for most managers in any league.

We can only assume that he was brought in on loan to develop himself and benefit the team as a whole he has never been seen in any capacity so there must be something going on either he is shit which begs the question why was he signed in the 1st place or he has an attitude issue and thats why hes not been seen so in that case safe to assume he will be hunted in January. Either way not a very good signing and seems to be a waste of a wage

I guess most of us will never know thr story. Feels very much like a last minute offer to take him, we had a look at some craftily edited video and just took a punt. I would assume if we did that there was no real risk/cost on our side. However could be wrong.

As you say, we'll never know but on the face of it it's not *that* difficult to imagine why we'd take him on for 6 months;

West Ham/agent: "Would you like to take a highly rated West Ham academy player on loan for 6 months? He plays as a forward/attacking midfielder and is capped through the age groups at international level and currently has 11 u19 caps."

Us: "Sure, why not."

I mentioned over on P&B in a discussion on this season's transfers but looking at McGhee's quotes about Belic when he signed (essentially an appropriation of Terry Westley's when he signed for West Ham) it sounds like Belic was brought in as a squad player or someone for us to have a look at. The fact that the quotes attributed to McGhee look cribbed from the West Ham site lend some weight to the idea that it's been a last minute punt though (especially when you compare with Bowman who we had up at the 7-0 game at Parkhead and who was Martin Foyle's top scorer when he was managing Hereford United in 2012/13 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_Hereford_United_F.C._season )

McGhee 31/08/16: "Luka is a wiry forward who can play through the middle or on the flanks. He works extremely hard, particularly without the ball and knows where the net is. He'll give us competition in that area." http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2016/08/31/well-sign-hammers-starlet-belic/

Westley 13/09/15: "We'd watched him a few times, he's enthusiastic, he works really hard out of possession and is a good finisher. He presses from the front really well, always looking to search in behind. His work rate and desire to get in behind and get on the ball is exceptional and he's been impressive in the time that we've seen him." http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2015/september/13-september/hammers-sign-serbian-starlet-belic

Given he's only here on a 6 month deal it'd seem Belic was a fairly low risk option. I'm not 100% but I think his deal at West Ham may be up at the end of this season so we may well have seen him as someone like Grimshaw that, if he made an impression we may have been able to look at on a permanent deal further down the line.

As it is we get to have a look at him, see if he's as good as he's supposed to be on Football Manager, if not there's a fairly easy out after 6 months and he goes back to his parent club. No harm, no foul.

• Like 1

Anyone got any idea whats happening with Luka Belic? noticed he was at the calendar event but still no appearences for the first team and only one for the 20s. Injured?

Was speaking to one of the programme sellers last week and he said that he had heard from someone in the club that mcghee doesnt rate him and he was brought in as a last minute offer from west ham

Was speaking to one of the programme sellers last week and he said that he had heard from someone in the club that mcghee doesnt rate him and he was brought in as a last minute offer from west ham

:lol: :lol:

Close the thread. We now know the story.

• Like 1