Ins & Outs 2016/17 January Transfer Window Discussion

Lukemfc1

On a different note - I also don't want to fuel the McGee haters - but I was speaking to someone who has been working in Greece for the last few years, so I haven't had much time with them.

He mentioned that he had recommend Efrem to McGee during his first spell with us and the player was available for loan from Rangers and subsequently went on to Dundee. Efrem had played well and scored in the Champions League recently, so that is how the subject surfaced.

Apparently McGee knocked back the loan and mentioned his relationship with Strachan who was at Celtic at the time. I did wonder about a conspiracy and paranoia, until I checked the dates and it was the season we took Cilian Sheridan on loan.

I'm not suggesting that Efrem would have turned out to be a great player we missed, but I was concerned about the comments attributed to McGee.

On a different note - I also don't want to fuel the McGee haters - but I was speaking to someone who has been working in Greece for the last few years, so I haven't had much time with them.

He mentioned that he had recommend Efrem to McGee during his first spell with us and the player was available for loan from Rangers and subsequently went on to Dundee. Efrem had played well and scored in the Champions League recently, so that is how the subject surfaced.

Apparently McGee knocked back the loan and mentioned his relationship with Strachan who was at Celtic at the time. I did wonder about a conspiracy and paranoia, until I checked the dates and it was the season we took Cilian Sheridan on loan.

I'm not suggesting that Efrem would have turned out to be a great player we missed, but I was concerned about the comments attributed to McGee.

If you get your knickers in a twist over tenuous comments a guy who worked in Greece for a few years made, then that's a bit absurd.

If we were offered a choice between the two, I'd imagine we went for Cillian Sheridan based on the fact that he had already scored four times for Celtic's first team that season. Efrem never made an appearance for Rangers before, or after his loan spell at Dundee (a division below us at the time).

• Like 1

Hasn't Cillian Sheridan played, and scored, in the Champions League? Some Cypriot side I'm sure?

Other than that, what Joeboy said. A truly bizarre post by CrosshillWell.

He had also played a few times in the Champions League for Celtic before he joined us, including a start against Man Utd.

But I think that ship has sailed.

Unsurprisingly interest in Chris Cadden seems to be growing. Twitter rumours have Sunderland, Fulham, Derby and Rangers all after him.

Would be funny if Cadden was this mysterious world class midfielder Rangers keep talking about. No deal for them unless they hand over the full transfer fee in cash up front.

• Like 1

I would anticipate increased speculation in advance of the Scottish tie - wouldn't be surprised if they show interest in Moult too. Truth is, only Celtic (in Scotland) can afford either player and they aren't currently short in those departments.

I'm sure rangers would love to have him, but they have no money and he has a fair bit of contract left, so that's not happening. I don't think we'll lose cadden this window, but doubt he will last the summer. I'm more worried about Moult, and hope that if he does go that it's on he back of a great December, and then Ryan bowman steals his mojo somehow.

Lucas and belic will surely be gone, and I'm guessing Laing will be loaned out for the rest of the year.

As for incoming, can definitely see Pearson coming back as I have a feeling that was arranged when he left, but I don't see anyone else coming in this time.

With all the teams interested in him now, the importance of his contract extension are becoming clear. Both the club putting the word in to tie him down and his willingness to sign. Kudos to all involved there.

On a side note, given our midfield problems this season, a combination of Pearson and McHugh in there in the new year does sound promising.

• Like 1

With all the teams interested in him now, the importance of his contract extension are becoming clear. Both the club putting the word in to tie him down and his willingness to sign. Kudos to all involved there.

On a side note, given our midfield problems this season, a combination of Pearson and McHugh in there in the new year does sound promising.

I'd be pretty chuffed with a midfield including McHugh, Pearson and Cadden for the second half of the season.

We're conceding a lot of goals at the minute which i think is largely due to us being over run in the middle. If we can sort that out I think we should be fine for the rest of the year because we're certainly dangerous going forward.

• Like 1

It was mentioned that we retain 40% of transfer fees with the remainder being shared between Les and John Boyle, Les' share being larger that Boyle's.

Ina related point, something I didn't really consider as I hadn't gave it any real thought....

Jim McMahon, while talking about executive/supervisory board, made a good point related to transfer fees. If, for example, we get a really good fee in (e.g. £1.5m) it's well within our right, and possibly in the best interests of all parties, to approach Les/Boyle etc. about settling all of the debt.

So, while we need to give them 40% and wont be forced to give any more. It appears to be flexible enough that we can give more towards paying the debt early/completely.

• Like 1

Ina related point, something I didn't really consider as I hadn't gave it any real thought....

Jim McMahon, while talking about executive/supervisory board, made a good point related to transfer fees. If, for example, we get a really good fee in (e.g. £1.5m) it's well within our right, and possibly in the best interests of all parties, to approach Les/Boyle etc. about settling all of the debt.

So, while we need to give them 40% and wont be forced to give any more. It appears to be flexible enough that we can give more towards paying the debt early/completely.

Assuming the debt is interest free, I imagine such an offer of early repayment would result in the debt being somewhar discounted?

Two different lines of thought here - what do you want to happen v what will realistically happen. For me...

What do I want to happen?

Out - Belic, Blyth, Laing, Chalmers, Lucas, Thomas (on loan)

In - A left sided attacking midfielder

See more of Campbell, Mackin, MacLean, Hastie on the pitch to fill some of the gaps left by the above when cover required for injuries and tiring players during the game.

What will realistically happen?

Out - Belic, Laing loan extended/freed,

In - Pearson, Lucas extended.

A line in here on Blyth being injured still (or again). If that's the case then he deserves to get fit and give it a go here in the second half of the season.

http://www.motherwelltimes.co.uk/sport/football/motherwell-fc/well-boss-mcghee-dismisses-ugwu-link-1-4311592

Yes, a discount for early pay off was also mentioned.

If there was no discount, or one that I thought wasn't to our advantage, then I'd rather the money was in Motherwells account earning a little interest rather than someone else's account.

Take the £1.5m discussed, 60% is £900,000 giving at least 3% interest over the next 4 years which would be worth £108,000 or £27,000 per year which could be used to either pay a youth player or added to the wages offered to someone we're trying to sign which could make the difference between him signing for us or one of our rivals. This player then could possibly be sold on before the debt is due to be payed giving us more cash in the bank.

It seems crazy to me to pay off an interest free loan with money that could be working for the club.

• Like 2