Society Board Vacancy

Kmcalpin

I think too many people think they (personally) should have a say in the day to day running of the club.

I think you're right. And we'd end up with the whole MyFootballClub experiment.

We need to think of it more like being shareholders in a company. Let the Board go about their business and if there are major issues where we disagree, and there is sufficient support among the members, then we can get it changed.

• Like 3

I think you're right. And we'd end up with the whole MyFootballClub experiment.

We need to think of it more like being shareholders in a company. Let the Board go about their business and if there are major issues where we disagree, and there is sufficient support among the members, then we can get it changed.

agree

In a situation like this, I wouldn't expect an email saying McGhee Out - Click Yes or No. For now, at least, I'm satisfied that our Board is working in the best interests of the club and with appropriate communication with the Society Board.

If that's ever not the case, I presume the Society Board members will let it be known and we can consider our options.

I really want that to be the way it was decided. Haha.

I think part of the reason people think each individual member should have more input is that so many people in the well society wouldn't know the well society board if they walked past them. More visibility, more demonstration of whats being done and more communication will hopefully solve this over time. Its not a view I personally subscribe to but I can see why some people wouldn't "trust" people they don't know from Adam to get their view across.

Well how can that representative convey the views of the majority of their board without consulting them? It then becomes that person(s) personal opinion.

Didn't reply to your question about the Well Society being consulted earlier mate as it's something the Society might be addressing as a whole soon, as it's a question that's been asked a few times.

As for my first meeting, I'm pleased - and perhaps surprised - to say I'm quietly optimistic moving forward. A lot of hard work ahead but I have come away a lot more positive about the Society than I expected to be. I still have my issues obviously and a list of constructive criticisms to put forward (along with ideas to try rectify things) but, rather than coming away feeling it's all a lost cause as I perhaps might have a few months ago, I'm actually feeling a bit enthusiastic about putting a shift in to try and get things improved.

I will still find time to slate them/us on the podcast if required though, no doubt... :P

• Like 7

Well how can that representative convey the views of the majority of their board without consulting them? It then becomes that person(s) personal opinion.

If you are correct about the speed of things then fair enough, but don't validate a statement to the press by adding in the WS being another dissenting voice to give credibility to the decision.

If you are suggesting that the WS membership should be balloted / consulted / asked for their input on decisions the club has to make then we really are fucked nothing will ever get done.

The board of directors which now includes representation from the WS along with the club Chief operating officer are the people empowered to make the decisions at the club nobody else.

• Like 2

I think we should go the whole hog and have the WS as manager. Ballot of members on the Friday to pick the team then tweet suggestions for subs during the game, fix the scoreboard to display suggestions, votes by tweet or text to agree or not. Plenty of people around me regularly screaming 'change it McGhee'.

What could possibly go wrong?

I think we should go the whole hog and have the WS as manager. Ballot of members on the Friday to pick the team then tweet suggestions for subs during the game, fix the scoreboard to display suggestions, votes by tweet or text to agree or not. Plenty of people around me regularly screaming 'change it McGhee'.

What could possibly go wrong?

There's an Indoor (American) Football League over here. This season, the fans of the Salt Lake Screaming Eagles voted for the team name, the coach and now can vote in real-time for every play they make via an app on their phone.

There's an Indoor (American) Football League over here. This season, the fans of the Salt Lake Screaming Eagles voted for the team name, the coach and now can vote in real-time for every play they make via an app on their phone.

and it looks like a clusterfuck judging by the 1st game

Didn't reply to your question about the Well Society being consulted earlier mate as it's something the Society might be addressing as a whole soon, as it's a question that's been asked a few times.

As for my first meeting, I'm pleased - and perhaps surprised - to say I'm quietly optimistic moving forward. A lot of hard work ahead but I have come away a lot more positive about the Society than I expected to be. I still have my issues obviously and a list of constructive criticisms to put forward (along with ideas to try rectify things) but, rather than coming away feeling it's all a lost cause as I perhaps might have a few months ago, I'm actually feeling a bit enthusiastic about putting a shift in to try and get things improved.

I will still find time to slate them/us on the podcast if required though, no doubt... :P

Good to hear Jay.

Expect lots of correspondence in the months to come!

• Like 2

Obviously I was joking. I can't believe they're actually doing this.

Obviously I was joking. I can't believe they're actually doing this.

Oh, I knew you were joking. It's just a sad fact of life nowadays that it's nearly impossible to joke about something that hasn't actually happened.

It's like Black Mirror has turned into a documentary.

In red to emphasise:

Based on the club statement that the WS were consulted, I would be interested to know how many of the board were asked for their input prior to the club announcement. Unless its window dressing of course.

If you are correct about the speed of things then fair enough, but don't validate a statement to the press by adding in the WS being another dissenting voice to give credibility to the decision.

Jay has promised to be open and transparent and I'd just like to know if a consensus of the WS board was garnered before the announcement and the club citing the WS as essentially using it another straw on the camels back in the press release.

I'd like to emphasise the word "board" as some (for reasons unbeknown to me especially when I read my post back) think I was suggesting a full membership referendum on McGhee's future. The board are there to reflect the reflect the views of the membership and make decisions on our behalf and I'm happy for that to happen.

However we can't deny that many decisions have been made by that body without adequate consultation of their membership thus far.

The MFC board of directors includes 2 of the well society board members. So it's not beyond the realms that those 2 did engage the others (is that another 4, soon to be 5 with Jay...I think) as part of the decision made.

I'd like to think so too, and I was asking if that was the case.

I would presume that they will have consulted the Society's representative on the clubs board rather than the whole Society Board. Hasnt really been time for anything else given how quickly they moved.

If that is the case then that is 2 of 7 members and doesn't constitute a majority IF the other 5 were not in agreement.

I'm suggesting if the club make an announcement that the WS board were consulted, I'd like to feel confident that they were as a whole and not just the two members who sit on the main club board. I'd like to think that at last 4 from 7 were of the opinion that McGhee should go and that was vocalised.

If you are suggesting that the WS membership should be balloted / consulted / asked for their input on decisions the club has to make then we really are fucked nothing will ever get done.
The board of directors which now includes representation from the WS along with the club Chief operating officer are the people empowered to make the decisions at the club nobody else.

I really can't understand this post as you even quoted mine (also above here) where I quite clearly state board. There was no mention of a referendum of membership, merely asking if the 7 members of the WS board were in consensus or a majority in advance of the announcement by the club.
As for your second point I fully agree. However if the club wish to release a statement citing the WS then I'd like to know all of the WS board were consulted not just the two that sit on the club board.
  • Like 1

In red to emphasise:

Jay has promised to be open and transparent and I'd just like to know if a consensus of the WS board was garnered before the announcement and the club citing the WS as essentially using it another straw on the camels back in the press release.

I've already explained that there is constant dialouge on all issues.

There are society board meetings, email chains and interaction on match days.