January Transfer Window

Kmcalpin

Unless there was some sort of agreement between McDonald and the club, letting him go for nothing doesn't seem very clever.

There's been nothing in McGhee's comments over the last week and a half to suggest we are looking for anything for him. A bit of an odd situation.

I wonder if it's a case of trying to do right for a senior player who has served the club exceptionally well. Treating players well who have serve the club well is the very reason we've been lucky to have so many return and put in a good shift - this may be just be part of a wider ethos which benefits the club in the long run.

Alternatively, if he wants to go McGhee simply might not want a player here who doesn't want to be here however McDonald simply doesn't seem like a guy who would lose his motivation to play or down tools and run down his contract.

• Like 1

I'd like to think that McDonald is professional enough to continue to give his all and see out his contract. The alternative of a disgruntled player working his ticket is a waste of a salary and bad for everyone concerned. It is a balancing act and there is a fine line between being easy deal with and being a soft touch.

I'd like to think that McDonald is professional enough to continue to give his all and see out his contract. The alternative of a disgruntled player working his ticket is a waste of a salary and bad for everyone concerned. It is a balancing act and there is a fine line between being easy deal with and being a soft touch.

If you remember McDonald wasn't happy when we turned down his Rangers move but still almost single handedly kept us up that season.

• Like 1

If you remember McDonald wasn't happy when we turned down his Rangers move but still almost single handedly kept us up that season.

I was talking about this the other week. Was it not the case that we turned down the bid but then sold him to Celtic after the window closed but before the upcoming Scottish Cup tie against Morton?

It's his seventh season at Fir Park and he's playing beside guys he's known for years. I don't think we have too much to worry about if he stays.

Indeed. His personality on the park can seem petulant at times, but there can be little doubt about his general effort and commitment to the cause. Long may it continue! He will be very difficult to replace whenever he does leave.

Yes, but he came out of the deal quite nicely. I believe his "loyalty" was rewarded well.

A good player but very easily unsettled. Lets not forget he did sign a 12 month contract with us last summer, although we don't know the specifics of it.

Yes, but he came out of the deal quite nicely. I believe his "loyalty" was rewarded well.

A good player but very easily unsettled. Lets not forget he did sign a 12 month contract with us last summer, although we don't know the specifics of it.

The Rangers move was his agent being at it. All the patter about it being a dream move etc.

But as others have said, after his deal was made nobody could doubt his commitment to our cause for the remainder of his contract. Total professional that others could learn from.

The Rangers move was his agent being at it. All the patter about it being a dream move etc.

But as others have said, after his deal was made nobody could doubt his commitment to our cause for the remainder of his contract. Total professional that others could learn from.

Yeah, Rangers up to their usual trying to unsettle a player who knows he'll get paid a lot more but they offer peanuts to buy him. If they wanted to pay the going rate they could have done what Celtic did and reach an agreement with the fee and arrange to take him in the next transfer window.

Going by BBC Radio, Ciftci's agent was waiting for a call from Motherwell in the last hour of the window and it didn't come.

He's a player I'd really like to see at Fir Park but not at the expense of losing McDonald.

Ciftci is a good player when he feels like it but he's always struck me as being lazy with a poor attitude.

McDonald might be a bit on the stroppy side but 9 times out of 10 he knocks his pan in as well as having the extra bit of quality.

Pretty relieved we never returned the call to be honest.