Scottish Premiership Hamilton Academical V Motherwell Sat 31 Dec 13:00

Dezz

Great point given the circumstances! Lucas deserved his red and probably should have got one at Inverness too. Think that will be him away.

Ref had a howler. Should have won the game had he and linesman not ignored the clear handball from McDonald's cross.

Still can't believe McGhee waited until 85mins, with Clay dying on his feet, to make a change but delighted that the team worked their socks off to get back into the game and win a well deserved point.

I've been going for 60 years and I would say the worst thing about most of the games is the total inconsistency of the officials. The Mixir guys also call it when

the referee makes a bad call for the opposition.

I expect them to comment on call. Then they need to stop and actually commentate on the game so we know what's happening on the pitch. Mr Mullen manages that quite successfully.

Great way to end the game and I have no complaints whatsoever regarding Lucas' red card.

I thought the guys stuck at it and really put a shift in. Fair play to McHugh playing his second game in 4 days, a fair chunk with 10 men, after so long out. Also thought Allan Campbell had a decent game for his debut and considering the circumstances.

Louis Moult is some boy and Mcdonald put in a hell of a shift.

If that's the best Accies have to offer the very worst we have to worry about this year is 11th. They were abysmal I thought. Also the number 46....lol.

His contract is up in January is it not?

It is but he's started the last 3 games and been involved in the last 5. Generally players who are likely to be let go don't get that sort of involvement. I'd imagine he'll get his baws toed for the red card today but I wouldn't be surprised if his deal is extended til the end of the season.

A special couple of minutes at the death today. In the cold light of day it's only a point but it was brilliant, just brilliant.

And it was so well deserved at that. Ok they had their chances to put us away but even with 10 men we were creating every bit as much as them and it was never a case of us stealing a point. It was thoroughly deserved.

And who knows, it might well have been three had we not gone down to ten. Whether that was merited I'll need to see again but certainly his two feet were up and it seemed a bit of a lunge. You can make the claim that a similar challenge on Wednesday was deemed worthy of only a yellow and he may feel entitled to make a similar type of tackle but such a challenge is always risky.

It was frustrating for it seemed only a matter of time before the goal would come. We'd one off the line and McDonald's header saved at point blank range and Accies had rarely threatened.

I thought we'd coped well enough going down to ten but we failed to take the chances that were coming our way and we also failed to heed the warning from their disallowed goal. It seemed criminal to be caught out with an almost identical move seconds after they'd put the ball in the net.

Credit to the team for keeping it going and never giving in. A lot of guts and determination out there. I thought Allan Campbell in particular was absolutely magnificent (on what I think is his first start?) and went toe-to-toe with anyone who came near him. Showed strength and savvy beyond his stature and was not intimated in the slightest.

But what of Louis Moult? Some man. It wasn't his best afternoon. Things weren't quite going his way and he looked frustrated as a consequence but the benefit of having such a finisher in the team was perfectly illustrated in those final few seconds. Those scenes when he put it away. Fantastic! I glanced up from the melee in the stand and I'm sure I even saw Samson up celebrating with the rest of the team.

Again, it wasn't a win, but it at this moment in time it sure feels like it!

• Like 2

Ref had a howler. Should have won the game had he and linesman not ignored the clear handball from McDonald's cross.

Don't get me wrong, at the time I was shouting for a penalty but I think on reflection the defenders hand was in a natural position and referees very rarely give those these days.

• Like 1

Have to chip in on Barnstable. Couldn't believe the screaming with the Moult goal, never mind the ranting about the red card that most now seem to agree was deserved. It did seem, according to the commentators, that the ref had it in for us, but it also sounded like we were pretty bad as well. Listening to how bad Accies were just made our effort that much worse, even with ten men. This was a game for the taking but again there didn't seem to be a plan, never mind a strategy to recover from the red card. Can't wait to read McGee's comments, but no doubt he'll be pleased with the point. We might well avoid the bottom two, but that'll likely be due to how bad the bottom seven collectively are, not because of good we are.

Have to chip in on Barnstable. Couldn't believe the screaming with the Moult goal, never mind the ranting about the red card that most now seem to agree was deserved.

The commentary was the only way I had to keep in touch with the game today, and I really enjoyed it. I was screaming at the goal too. I actually like the fact that it's like you're sat next to a Motherwell fan, as opposed to a professional neutral commentator... although I get the fact that some people would prefer the latter. I'm also just grateful that someone takes the trouble to do it at all.

My thoughts:

We looked decent in the first 20 or so and I felt if we got one, we could get a few.

Lucas deserved the straight red. Two footed tackles with full body weight behind it is very dangerous play regardless if the ball is won.

We adapted well to the red in the first half.

Second half we were poor despite being down to 10, Accies played it round us and we spent the game looking like we were trying to conserve energy. Individual performances dropped and clays last 20 minutes were gantin'.

Campbell was very good and got well and truly stuck in.

McGhee's clearly doesn't trust Ainsworth to do what he's asking of him. I can only assume it's due to his defensive weaknesses as he contributes as much as anyone going forward. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go in January.

Have to chip in on Barnstable. Couldn't believe the screaming with the Moult goal, never mind the ranting about the red card that most now seem to agree was deserved. It did seem, according to the commentators, that the ref had it in for us, but it also sounded like we were pretty bad as well. Listening to how bad Accies were just made our effort that much worse, even with ten men. This was a game for the taking but again there didn't seem to be a plan, never mind a strategy to recover from the red card. Can't wait to read McGee's comments, but no doubt he'll be pleased with the point. We might well avoid the bottom two, but that'll likely be due to how bad the bottom seven collectively are, not because of good we are.

How good do you think we should be?

Accies might not be Barcelona but they are a tough team to beat. Only three teams outside the Top Four have beaten them this season and one of those was us at Fir Park. With the exception of Celtic no one has gone to Douglas Park and won by more than a single goal. Accies deserve a lot of credit I think for even being able to compete in this league with 800 season ticket holders.

Conditions today were bad, Accies plastic pitch is atrocious and the strong wind, not helped by the stadium being open to the elements made things very hard today for the players. And don't forget we had something of an ad-hoc side out with a few young players in there - one making his first team starting debut.

I felt we competed well over the 90 minutes considering we were down to 10 men very early in the match.

• Like 3

Still can't believe McGhee waited until 85mins, with Clay dying on his feet, to make a change but delighted that the team worked their socks off to get back into the game and win a well deserved point.

Because Lionel couldnt tackle a fish supper any earlier and we would be another tackler down and lost a second. McGhee called it perfect for a change

• Like 2

McGhee's clearly doesn't trust Ainsworth to do what he's asking of him. I can only assume it's due to his defensive weaknesses as he contributes as much as anyone going forward. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go in January.

We sent McDonald back up front when we went 1-0 down and that left us short in midfield. McGhee was obviously concerned about that and didn't want to risk effectively going down to 2 in midfield by bringing Ainsworth on too early in the match, especially with a very young inexperienced player in there.

By waiting until the last few minutes and then taking a defender off, not something he would have considered doing with 25, 20, even 15 minutes to go, I think tactically McGhee got it completely right......although no one will start a 'McGhee Got It Right' thread I suspect.

• Like 1

Strange formation thought it would be a diamond when the lineup was announced but clay and Campbell on left and right respectively were playing almost on the touchline so couldn't really be considered a diamond, but whatever it was was effective for 22mins before the red card.

Good point in the end. Battled well with ten men - red card totally justified in my eyes- and could have easily scored 4 or 5 ourselves despite the numerical disadvantage although we did ride our luck with Hamilton hitting us the counter attack and using the width of the park effectively with the extra man.

Moult was terrible but redeemed himself with the late equaliser. McMillan had a nightmare although thought McGhee should have maybe switched him and tait.

However given the effort they put in it would hard to be ultra critical. They never stopped running and we got rewarded at the end.

Could end up being an important point come may.

Thought red card as soon as Lucas dived in,stupid challenge haven't seen much of Campbell but was very impressed today,had the fight and determination for today. As for Hamilton they are what they are shit ground and support but stubborn,can't remember the last time we played well there. All in all happy with 4 points out of 6

Referee had a shocker. 2 stonewall and obvious red cards but he only awarded one. That had a huge influence on the course of the game.

Are you referring to the McDonald incident in the corner? Never a sending off imo. McDonald knew exactly what he was doing, the wiley old fox that he is.

If you're referring to something else then apologies. Can't think of another incident though.

We sent McDonald back up front when we went 1-0 down and that left us short in midfield. McGhee was obviously concerned about that and didn't want to risk effectively going down to 2 in midfield by bringing Ainsworth on too early in the match, especially with a very young inexperienced player in there.

By waiting until the last few minutes and then taking a defender off, not something he would have considered doing with 25, 20, even 15 minutes to go, I think tactically McGhee got it completely right......although no one will start a 'McGhee Got It Right' thread I suspect.

I agree with all of that. My point wasn't about the substitution. Ainsworth has gone from one of the first names on the teamsheet to a bit-part player. It appears Mcghee sees a few in the squad as being a preferred option than him on the right or left.