Scottish Premiership Hamilton Academical V Motherwell Sat 31 Dec 13:00

Dezz

I'm not a fan of the rule, but for every rule in the book the ref needs to have discretion. Of course, that doesn't excuse the obvious inconsistencies in their application, but decisions have to made in context of specific situations.

Marvin Johnson at Killie early in the season was a great example of a complete lack of common sense....

5350686.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=respo

So they are consistent, they book the goalscorer, as opposed to using any measure of common sense.

Why don't/can't they book 2 players in an example like the Griffiths/dembele one above, and did they really need to book Johnson in the other example.

Louis Moult on Saturday was a stick on yellow as it stands, and it was worth it.

You are just reiterating my point about needing to be consistent.

Aye, was just contradicting the last bit.

"but decisions have to made in context of specific situations."

The Marvin Johnson one was a ridiculous booking.

They are consistent in booking the scorer.

But Johnson went 2 yards off the pitch with half a stand separating him from the crowd, got booked, Leigh Griffiths ran 40 yards to vault the wall into the supporters and didn't.

Just getting round to watching the highlights on Alba and YouTube.

On Lucas, I was in the main stand for the game.. (with a friend who was up for Xmas and an Accies fan) and it looked from our view his right foot was grounded when he made connection with the ball. That was why at the time I was convinced it was a never a red card. Mate agreed. However it does look a lot worse from the main camera angle on the other side and he did go flying. Seen them yellow carded many a time but can't really complain at a red either.

Could watch that last minute goal over and over again. Love big Samson up getting involved celebrating. Haha.

• Like 1

On Lucas............. Seen them yellow carded many a time but can't really complain at a red either.

It just goes to show though how much a referee can influence games. Its conceivable that he could've issued a yellow card (I do think it was a red), awarded us a penalty and sent Kurtaz off for an early bath. That would have made for an entirely different game.

It just goes to show though how much a referee can influence games. Its conceivable that he could've issued a yellow card (I do think it was a red), awarded us a penalty and sent Kurtaz off for an early bath. That would have made for an entirely different game.

The more I watched the Lucas red on the Alba coverage the more I'm kind of conflicted about it. I mean, there can't really be any complaints about it. It's a red card. However considering Cole stayed on the park for a similar, both feet off the ground, studs up challenge on Lucas himself in front of the linesman in the ICT game then I have a degree of sympathy. It's a daft challenge but equally he's not gone in to *do* Donati, he's won the ball cleanly albeit in a reckless manner.

McGhee seemed to invoke the "Paul Scholes" defence for it in so much as his view was that it was a red card but it wasn't malicious, he's not very good at tackling and in going into the challenge has tried to protect himself. Which to me is a pretty fair assessment. Also, I can't help but feel that given the frequent complaints about lack of physicality in our midfield, to the point that I read someone bemoaning Ainsworth stepping out a challenge to win a throw in then had Lucas shirked that 50/50 there's every chance he'd be getting grief for that.

Ultimately he left the team in a hole but I suppose my view of the whole thing might have been different had Moult not nodded in that equaliser.

Edit: Apropos of nothing but Lucas' red card was the third game in a row involving Accies that there's been a sending off. Lucas on Saturday, McMann against Aberdeen and MacGregor for Celtic the week before.

After speaking to others after the game, I think I was perhaps overly negative prior to our equaliser on Saturday. I honestly thought we were pretty poor all over even allowing for being a man down. In hindsight though 1-1 having 10 men for so long was a good result, Moult's goal has totally changed the mood around the club. Great scenes with the fans at the end, was brillant stuff and gives us a real chance to kick on after the winter break. I also really liked the players and manager showing appreciation to the fans.

Prior to the goal I thought we were capable of doing a lot more. Some of the control and passing was shocking, not really a fan of blaming the pitch for this but I guess this excuse could be used. Clay and Moult must have lost the ball about 10 times between them. Make no mistake Hamilton are shocking, very physical but zero quality minus Crawford. With this being said I thought they could have scored 4 easily, this for me was an indication of how bad we were at times.

Real plus for me was the inclusion of another young player in Campbell who performed well and I thought McHugh again showed his quality at times.

Fingers crossed in the window we can bring in another wide man to add an extra attacking dimension. When Cadden/Ainsworth aren't on the pitch we need someone with pace as an outball to counter with. Our forward paring isn't quick enough to break against most teams.

He's played 18 out of 21 league matches this season and in the previous match McGhee put him on in the 26th minute to replace Cadden.

Some horses for courses going on, some trying to give young lads a chance as well but I don't really think he is a bit part player.

I think he's started 8 out of 21 and only 4 of the last 16. 'Bit part' possibly isn't the right term to use, however that's a huge change in circumstance from being a more senior squad member who was previously one of the first names on the teamsheet.

With that in mind, I can't see Ainsworth having much job satisfaction just now and I think he simply doesn't have defensive attributes to consistently fit into a McGhee team. He's someone with the ability to be playing and contributing from the start every week at a decent level - it just needs to be within a team with the capacity to maximise his attacking threat and accommodate his defensive limitations.

I also imagine he'll be on a decent wage - if both parties are happy with how he fits into the squad just now then that's fine, however I imagine Ainsworth would want more out of his game, and Mcghee may see a decent wage being better spent elsewhere.

That said, the guys on MFC commentary did say that he's desperate to earn a new contract so maybe Ainsworth still has aspirations to nail down a starting place. McGhee has also commented on his unquestionable ability in the past so maybe he still thinks he can get more out of him.

Personally, I'd love to see him stay - he still one of our most exciting players and I always have high hopes when he gets on the ball. The squad is definitely stronger with a player like Ainsworth in it.