Scottish Premiership Hamilton Academical V Motherwell Sat 31 Dec 13:00

Dezz

I grew up in Hamilton and know a lot of Accies fans. They care as much about their team as we care about ours. I hate the pitch they have, but I understand why they laid it. It's used by many local organizations and, as result, plays a role in the local community.

And they have one thing going for them - they aren't Clydebank in disguise.

They have also provided much more of a derby interest in the last 20+ years than any other Lanarkshire team.

Imagine how boring the league would be if we never played teams we didn't like.

Only a matter of time before everybody knows how 'cash' is used at that sham of a club. Bookmark it

Sounds interesting....

On another tack, I've just watched the TV highlights on the BBC and I reckon the penalty shout could have gone either way. A bit soft maybe but we've lost a few penalties like that where the defender's arms weren't by his side.

Sounds interesting....

On another tack, I've just watched the TV highlights on the BBC and I reckon the penalty shout could have gone either way. A bit soft maybe but we've lost a few penalties like that where the defender's arms weren't by his side.

Same here Dave just watched the BBC highlights and i think it was a definite Penalty, defenders arm well behind him so a stonewaller for me, and as for the incident with Skippy and Kurtaj, skippy made the most of it but there looked like there was contact from the defenders hand difficult to tell from the TV angle but it looked like a definite push in the face. How did it look from the stand ?

That's a myth that local organisations use that god awful pitch. Solely for use by its owning club bar occasional show games at junior & amateur levels.

Only a matter of time before everybody knows how 'cash' is used at that sham of a club. Bookmark it

The cash has been going straight into the directors' back pockets since the Jan Stepek days. That isn't exactly a secret. And it was no surprise when the Morrisons' cash went the same way.

It may be different now, but in recent years the pitch was in use most nights. And not by the first team.

They also have a cordial relationship with the local council, but also not much of a secret. Hamilton's not a big town and I think everyone is aware of the wheeling and dealing that has gone on with Accies. I know I haven't lived there for a while, but I still know people directly involved with the club. In the late 70s and 80s there were fairly credible stories they "couldn't afford" to be promoted.

The only thing that would surprise me (and their fans) was if money was re-invested in the club.

Regardless, they have still been our most consistent local rival in the past 20 (going on 30) years and I'd rather be playing them at New Year than St Mirren.

as for the incident with Skippy and Kurtaj, skippy made the most of it but there looked like there was contact from the defenders hand difficult to tell from the TV angle but it looked like a definite push in the face. How did it look from the stand ?

Yes, Skippy was a bit theatrical but from the stand, Kurtaz's hand certainly made contact with his face. What confirmed it for me though was when Skippy went off temporarily to have his face checked over by the doctor/physio. If nothing had happened why would he have gone over for treatment to his head?

It may be different now, but in recent years the pitch was in use most nights. And not by the first team.

I've lived in hamiltom now for the last 7 years and more often than not when i go by on the train about 6pm (ish), the parks in use. No idea who by, but it is certainly well used.

Certainly doubt the first team train in the evenings.

• Like 1

Plastic parks should be banned. Shite.

Certainly that one should it's horrendous!

So many times yesterday players on both sides misjudged the bounce, it made it scrappy as hell. The conditions won't have helped, but it's always like that. To be fair to other plastic parks like rugby park, you could watch a game on that and not really notice the pitch.

I'm sure that when McCall was manager there were players that he wouldn't play against Killie away because he thought the park would injure them

Terry Butcher was the same.

As an interesting aside, Skippy has a go at the match officials for being arrogant and booking him for simulation (the online Sun). According to him, Kurtaz poked him in the eye but the ref booked him for simulation. He wouldn't tell MacDonald at the time why he had been yellow carded, despite being asked (I've heard this kind of thing before). If that is the case why was Kurtaz booked if he didn't do anything?

According to him, Kurtaz poked him in the eye but the ref booked him for simulation. He wouldn't tell MacDonald at the time why he had been yellow carded, despite being asked (I've heard this kind of thing before). If that is the case why was Kurtaz booked if he didn't do anything?

FIFA's definition of simulation includes "feigning injury", so in theory it's possible to be legitimately fouled and still get booked for simulation.

Bookings for simulation can be appealed.

Unfortunately, if the single camera the BBC had at the game is the only evidence available, there's probably no point... you can see hee haw on that.

Its not uncommon for a referee to wait a few days after a match to clarify why a player was yellow carded. Billy Davies and Terry Butcher highlighted this very point. Not good refereeing though. If Skippy appeals would a physio or doctor's evidence be acceptable? BBC coverage is very subjective.

McDonald did go down like he'd been shot by a sniper, I'd gladly see more bookings for that sort of behaviour.

The problem as always is inconsistency.

Refs must know at times they've been conned, there were a couple of examples in the recent game against Celtic, where Lustig and Brown made out they were mortally wounded to make sure the Motherwell players got booked, then made a remarkable recovery.

• Like 1

McDonald did go down like he'd been shot by a sniper, I'd gladly see more bookings for that sort of behaviour.

The problem as always is inconsistency.

Agreed. Its unusual though for a player to be booked for simulation when a foul was committed on him. As you say inconsistency is the problem. There were a handful of incidents in the game when the ref could and should have yellow carded players for simulation but didn't. You either book none or book them all.

It was one of those where in reality he probably booked Mcdonald for persistently being a pest.

He went through the boy from the back, his protestations on the penalty claim and making a meal of any contact from the defender. Not sure being a pest is a bookable offence, so he picked something.

Under the old rules, "ungentlemanly behaviour" was a catchall that a ref could use for booking a player who was persistently being a pest. That was replaced in the 90s with "unsporting behaviour", but I think could still be used in the same way.

Too lazy to check, but I think "unsporting behaviour" is still an option for refs.

If we're having a grumble about the referee I'll also chuck in his booking of Moult for what I saw was deemed to be an "over excessive celebration".

That one irritates me enormously as again enforcement of such activity varies wildly. He celebrated with our supporters, there was no incitement. The boards are so close to the touchline he could barely have left the confines of the pitch. You contrast that with some of the celebrations we've seen that have gone unpunished and you just think that's ridiculous.

To be fair, if players leave the pitch, they pretty much always book the goalscorer.

I've been checking. :lol:

A weird one in the league cup semi, where Leigh Griffiths took Dembele to the crowd, and jumped the wall into the stand, but Dembele got booked as he scored rather than Griffiths. (Who took him to the spot David dray had gone when hibs scored in the cup final).

Griffiths is on the right....

JS103078728-1.jpg

To be fair, if players leave the pitch, they pretty much always book the goalscorer.

I've been checking. :lol:

A weird one in the league cup semi, where Leigh Griffiths took Dembele to the crowd, and jumped the wall into the stand, but Dembele got booked as he scored rather than Griffiths. (Who took him to the spot David dray had gone when hibs scored in the cup final).

Griffiths is on the right....

JS103078728-1.jpg

Except they should either always be booked or never be booked. Rogic wasn't booked for going into the crowd after he scored winner against us. Personally if players run to or into their own supporters its fine by me, different if they run to the opposition.

I'm not a fan of the rule, but for every rule in the book the ref needs to have discretion. Of course, that doesn't excuse the obvious inconsistencies in their application, but decisions have to made in context of specific situations.