Fir Park

fwr

No idea if it's true or not, but were there not rumours Falkirk couldn't build a 4th stand because it was within the Grangemouth blast zone or something along those lines?

Yes, it was. I suspect that the extent of the Grangemouth Blast Zone has contracted but it was most certainly a problem at one time. I'm not a great fan of Falkirk's stadium to be honest with its corner gaps.

Yes, it was. I suspect that the extent of the Grangemouth Blast Zone has contracted but it was most certainly a problem at one time. I'm not a great fan of Falkirk's stadium to be honest with its corner gaps.

I think the redeeming feature is the main stand looks quite nice from the outside.

FALKIRK_140908_B_7639.jpg

Our south stand is ideal for when the OF mutants come visiting.

Yea, it was essentially built for them, IIRC the initial plan was to have a single tier effort so the ground looked balanced but they thought by doubling it we would easily pay for it and more with OF visits 4 times a season.

You wouldn't plan in such odd proportions to a purpose built New ground though so would have to plan for 5000 seats together going round one side and behind the goal, which would be fine I reckon.

Falkirk have hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned. They have an impressive main stand and two other stands which are close in and steep with capacity sitting at 8K. Once they build the fourth stand it will stick out as the best small new ground by a country mile, and not bankrupted the club like Airdrionians. Whilst the stands are pretty far apart, the gaps could/should be screened off like hibs have done at Easter Road.

Fir Park is home, however the cost and what we are loosing out on income wise through lack of facilities is poor. If the club built a Falkirk style effort, the corners could be filled in with other facilities with pitchside views such as bars/restaurant/community trust facilities or even one of these 24/7 gym complexes which are springing up around the joint.

'Once they build the fourth stand'...How long have they been at this place and its still not finished? Fucking hate the idea of playing at a Stadium that isn't enclosed

'Once they build the fourth stand'...How long have they been at this place and its still not finished?

I don't even know if they fully own the stadium. They poured money in to the playing side in the late nineties to the detriment of a badly needed new stadium and ran up huge debts. These were paid off when Brockville was sold and there was about £2/3 million left over. Their new stadium was funded in large part by the Council who still own parts of it in a complicated arrangement. The South Stand was funded by a wealthy philanthropic supporter. I would guess that the stadium as is cost around £7-8 million with the football club contributing about 30% of that. Given that I can't see a 4th stand being built any time soon unless another schuhder daddy pops up.

Do Falkirk even need a 4th stand?

Other than to complete the stadium?

Probably all pie in the sky anyway, but as others have said, something like livi on the inside, perhaps with a main stand like falkirks from the outside, 10,000 capacity with maybe 2000 of that safe standing would be the dream.

I like the Falkirk Stadium, As has been mentioned the facade on the main stand sets it apart from your average lego job. The grounds I dislike the most are those with the exposed construction type stands like you have at Rugby Park.

I'm sure the Falkirk Stadium has also hosted concerts where the stage was build on the far side touchline so I would be surprised if there was any issue building there now.

All this "Lego" pish is horrendous. Its fucking concrete and steel. The "soul" of a stadium is in whomever occupy it, ie THE FANS not in wether the fucking corners are covered in grey cladding or left open

I agree to an extent, but older stadiums tend to have a bit more character about them, and it would be nice if a new stadium could have some sort of character to distinguish it from the others.

Not having massive gaps in the corner would help in terms of generating an atmosphere, although you're right, it won't by itself create one, that's down to the fans.

All this "Lego" pish is horrendous. Its fucking concrete and steel. The "soul" of a stadium is in whomever occupy it, ie THE FANS not in wether the fucking corners are covered in grey cladding or left open

Changing Fir Park to all seated took half the atmosphere away. Sitting in seats that are too narrow, with no leg room and the acoustics of a tin roof while watching a game on a plastic pitch could kill it completely.

You're right about Lego, though - most of those are much better than anything we could afford.

2559885991_54e8dc4061_z.jpg

^^^^^^^

Has stood on one too many pieces of lego IMO