Scottish Premiership Motherwell V Rangers Sat 28 Jan 12:30

Yabba's Turd

Lots of posts about our defence / midfield over the last 2 games however it seems one of our star strikers mistakes have gone under the radar. His cut-back at Ibrox in the 90th minute and absolute sitter from Cadden's cross yesterday (see 2 mins into the highlights) are as bad as anything our defence served up.

I'm not actually advocating playing the blame game - I just think it's too easy to point out defensive errors when there are often other incidents at the other end of the park which could have turned the game.

Totally agree about the strikers. Since the start of the season we have been largely struggling to take our chances. Injuries early on in the season plus Skippy taking his usual 2 months to get fit hasn't helped, but their errors tend to be judged less harshly than the defenders' even though they have the same cost.

Looking at the red card decisions, I think there was no doubt about the O Halloran challenge. Dangerous, high and reckless. On the other two, they are either both yellow or both red. Whichever way you look at 2 out of the 3 decisions are correct in my opinion.

When looking at the Kiernan decision against the McDonald decision, there are a couple of factors that have clearly affected the decisions, none of which have anything to do with the rules of the game. The first is the circumstances of the game. Rangers have already had a player sent off and it is only twenty minutes into the game. It would take a very strong referee to send a second rangers player of at that time. That does not make the decision right but can make it understandable.

The second is the position of the McDonald incident on the pitch. It happened directly in front of the dugout. The whole rangers bench would have been on their feet in a second instantly adding to the perceived severity of the challenge. Again does nor make the decision right but most referee's are going to take the path of least resistance.

The frustration for me is that McDonald was stupid enough to lunge into the challenge. He must have known as a seasoned pro the tightrope that the whole Motherwell team had to walk for the remainder of the game. It was yet another poor decision from one of the more senior players in the squad. It must be very frustrating for a manager to watch a weeks preparation go down to the tubes in one moment of madness.

• Like 2

As frustrating as it is when Skippy does something like that, it's that part of his character that makes him a good player. Chippy, mouthy and in your face for 90 minutes is how he made his career. The bigger concern is the apparent gulf between our first choice strikers and our backups.

I would say the answer to that question provides a similar question. In that he was drawn to Waghorn and I'd ask the same question about Stephen McManus.

Got the same answer to Kmcalpin as you; McManus gave up at the first goal, and Hammell caught trying to cover up.

McManus not very clever at second goal either.

The playoff wins weren't unlikely. We had the better players.

I'm not sure we did have better players in the play off games.

We most certainly had better players when we capitulated at Ibrox in the League Cup in 2012 but it didn't seem to help.

Absolutely woefull record against Rangers continues. 2 wins in 50 or something like that . Woefull.

its really 2 in 7, but even at 2 in 45 :ph34r: , what a pair of games to win

easily best 2 games in last decade or more

every cloud and that Jim, Cheers

• Like 1

I'm not sure we did have better players in the play off games.

From Jan 2015, Rangers won 8 out of 18 Championship matches including dropping points to Livingston, Cowdenbeath and Alloa. They were put out of the Scottish Cup by Raith Rovers and lost a Challenge Cup Semi Final to Alloa having been 2-0 up with 14 minutes to go.

They finished 3rd overall in the Championship and scrapped through to the Play Off Finals winning only 2 of the 4 matches against QoS (2-1, 1-1) and Hibernian (2-0, 0-1).

Rangers were an absolute shambles when they played us.

From Jan 2015, Rangers won 8 out of 18 Championship matches including dropping points to Livingston, Cowdenbeath and Alloa. They were put out of the Scottish Cup by Raith Rovers and lost a Challenge Cup Semi Final to Alloa having been 2-0 up with 14 minutes to go.

They finished 3rd overall in the Championship and scrapped through to the Play Off Finals winning only 2 of the 4 matches against QoS (2-1, 1-1) and Hibernian (2-0, 0-1).

Rangers were an absolute shambles when they played us.

Correct, but there were a couple of other factors at play that day. Us always being shitebag's when we face any incarnation of Rangers, and, the media making it seem like Rangers winning was already a foregone conclusion before a ball was kicked. All of that led to two of the greatest games our club has played, in my lifetime anyway :yahoo:

I finally decided to watch the highlights. That is never a sending off for McDonald. He's gone in with one foot and just over-stretched. It's a poor challenge that was timed badly, but the simple fact is that if it hadn't have happened after a Rangers player was already off and, more importantly, right in front of their bench, it would have been a yellow all day. Willie Collum is a fucking twat that couldn't wait to send him off and level it up. I'll probably just forget about it now, but I was raging at the game, and for a couple of hours afterwards. Seeing Kiernan's yellow again just makes it even worse mind.

I finally decided to watch the highlights. That is never a sending off for McDonald. He's gone in with one foot and just over-stretched. It's a poor challenge that was timed badly, but the simple fact is that if it hadn't have happened after a Rangers player was already off and, more importantly, right in front of their bench, it would have been a yellow all day. Willie Collum is a fucking twat that couldn't wait to send him off and level it up. I'll probably just forget about it now, but I was raging at the game, and for a couple of hours afterwards. Seeing Kiernan's yellow again just makes it even worse mind.

I agree completely McDonalds challenge wasn't good but it was a yellow card no more. Miller made the most of it, coupled with the reaction of their bench obviously influenced Collum, although as an experienced ref he should have been strong enough to adhere to the rules. If we are to accept that as a red card then football is finished.

I reckon we must be citing the Kiernan tackle as to why McDonald's red should be rescinded.

Probably, although thats a non starter in my book as the beaks will look at MacDonald's tackle in isolation. What should happen though is that if that is the line they take then the Compliance Officer should then examine Kiernan's tackle (if Collum admits an error) but that won't happen either.

All the goals scored in the final 5 minutes of Premiership league matches. Sadly we are joint top with Hearts. Interesting to see two of our rivals are joint least - Kilmarnock and Inverness. Will need to improve on this in the 2nd half of the season.

HEARTS : 6
93 Haber (Dundee) v Hearts
92 McFadden (Motherwell) v Hearts
91 Sinclair (Celtic) v Hearts
87 Draper (Inverness) v Hearts
86 Boyce (Ross County) v Hearts
85 Kane (St. Johnstone) v Hearts

MOTHERWELL : 6
91 Miller (Rangers) v Motherwell
90 McGinn (Aberdeen) v Motherwell
90 Rogic (Celtic) v Motherwell
90 Tansey (Inverness) v Motherwell
87 Dembele (Celtic) v Motherwell
87 Hyndman (Rangers) v Motherwell

ABERDEEN : 4
91 Erskine (Partick) v Aberdeen
90 Rogic (Celtic) v Aberdeen
88 Schalk (Ross County) v Aberdeen
87 Sinclair (Celtic) v Aberdeen
HAMILTON : 4
93 Moult (Motherwell) v Hamilton
93 Polworth (Inverness) v Hamilton
93 Nicholson (Hearts) v Hamilton
86 Paterson (Hearts) v Hamilton
ST. JOHNSTONE : 4
92 Christie (Celtic) v St. Johnstone
91 Meekings (Inverness) v St. Johnstone
91 Osman (Partick) v St. Johnstone
87 Paterson (Hearts) v St. Johnstone
DUNDEE : 3
92 Forrester (Rangers) v Dundee
89 Johnsen (Hearts) v Dundee
88 McLean (Aberdeen) v Dundee
PARTICK THISTLE : 3
95 Burke (Ross County) v Partick Thistle
94 Dodoo (Rangers) v Partick Thistle
90 Watt (Hearts) v Partick
RANGERS : 3
94 Considine (Aberdeen) v Rangers
92 Armstrong (Celtic) v Rangers
90 Maddison (Aberdeen) v Rangers
ROSS COUNTY : 3
93 Dembele (Celtic) v Ross County
91 Sinclair (Celtic) v Ross County
90 Longstaff (Kilmarnock) v Ross County
CELTIC : 2
89 Fisher (Inverness) v Celtic
89 MacLean (St. Johnstone) v Celtic
KILMARNOCK : 2
86 Doumbouya (Inverness) v Kilmarnock
85 Rogic (Celtic) v Kilmarnock
INVERNESS : 2
89 McLean (Aberdeen) v Inverness
87 McDonald (Motherwell) v Inverness

• Like 1

I think McDonald's was prob a red but think you have to give Kiernan and McDonald the same punishment and I would have given them both reds.

The one thing no one seems to be talking about is the well society staying quiet about rangers fans sectarianism. Think with fan ownership we should complain the the sfa about flags and songs and constantly mention it horribly atmosphere and with huge protests about trump it's amazing we have a rascist institution in the middle of society. The whole reason to have fans running the club is to do things differently!

I think McDonald's was prob a red but think you have to give Kiernan and McDonald the same punishment and I would have given them both reds.

The one thing no one seems to be talking about is the well society staying quiet about rangers fans sectarianism. Think with fan ownership we should complain the the sfa about flags and songs and constantly mention it horribly atmosphere and with huge protests about trump it's amazing we have a rascist institution in the middle of society. The whole reason to have fans running the club is to do things differently!

What flags did they have?

Agree with your general point though, it seems since their return Rangers fans have been pushing the boundaries of what they can get away with, and as they've never been challenged on it, they just do as they please.

They started off being "clever" and substituting the bad words and dropping the add ons, but it does seem they've just reverted to their old song book as nobody has the balls to do anything about it.

I have seen a few different angles for Skippys challenge on Miller and its at worst a yellow not as bad as Kiernans but with collum in charge we knew what was coming. As for the sectarianism i agree its a horrible atmosphere when either of the ugly sisters are at Fir park but we can complain all we like the SFA will take no notice and do feck all as they are shit scared of upsetting Rangers or celtic.

• Like 1

Well, why not, as a member, write to the Society and make these points?

• Like 1

They have obviously seen the Green Brigade get away with rioting inside Dens and Tynecastle, singing Roll of Honour every game and hanging effigies and realised that the SFA are never going to punish clubs for the fans behaviour.

Is that not what caused the fall out between Rangers and BBC/Chris McLaughlin?

I think he mentioned the singing in a match report, and they banned him from Ibrox.